PDA

View Full Version : Call to Arms

ems_yaker
01-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Hello Everyone,

I copied and pasted this post from 976-TUNA, This will affect all fishermen.

I just got this info and it is the worst thing to happen to the west coast in recent years. As most probally know in 1991 the United Nations banned 'drift nets' Gill or otherwise on international waters. The US followed suit recently. Now on November 3, 2005 the Pacific Fisheries Management Council gave preliminarily approval to an gillnet application by the Vermont based Federation of Independent Seafood Harvesters. The plan is to allow them to use drift gillnets in areas closed to your everyday angler & certain MPA areas in California & Oregon. Some of the areas in request we're the famous cherry bank area, i.e. the cowcod conservation area. Now as far as I know that wont be allowed (hopefully), but everyone angler and non-angler needs to speak out on this matter. The use of drift gillnets WILL destroy our fishing for years to come. The final vote is March 2006 & you can find some more info at www.seaturtles.org (http://www.seaturtles.org/) as they are leading a big part of the fight. Other groups in Calif will also be joining the fight.
I'm asking you to mail a letter, send a e-mail & call the PFMC to tell them we don't want gillnets in our waters again. The final metting on this is March 5-10, 2006 in Seattle, WA. and is open to the public. If you know someone there ask them to be your voice. Please don't ignore this as it will haunt you and the future anglers for decades to come.