PDA

View Full Version : First LJ Yellowtail - 4/6

RoeBoat
04-09-2009, 10:30 AM
I took my first trip down to La Jolla this week in search of a new trophy for my empty case. The conditions were beautiful; small surf and light wind. After making it past the reserve line a large group of nervous bait appeared on the surface. I dropped the scrambled egg yo-yo iron a few times and soon drag was ripping off the reel, what a feeling! After hearing so much about this place I wasn't dissapointed in the least and before long my first Yellowtail was on deck.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/feb_march_2009_039_1_.jpg

I can't wait for the summer season to come into full swing, I'm ready for more. Oh yeah, I cheated a little on catching my first Yellowtail.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/feb_march_2009_046_1_.jpg

Big props to Josh for putting me on this big boy. I couldn't have done it without his help. :notworthy: Also, thanks Rick and Paul for help with the pic.

Kent

j mo
04-09-2009, 10:44 AM
nice one......

EFISH
04-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Nice job on your first. And with the help from Josh that's not cheating, unless it's a hook and hand off. Dam that water looks like glass behind you. Can't wait for summer.
Peace
EFISH

Dan
04-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Sweet! Congrats on that one.

driftwood
04-09-2009, 12:06 PM
If you ain't cheating you ain't trying. You wanted a trophy and you made it HAPPEN. :call: "Hello Josh, I want my trophy too were do i sign up?"

Sherm
04-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Nice first fish. I still remember my 1st and it was only 18lbs. Another yaker is hooked on LJ. Congrats:sifone:

RoeBoat
04-09-2009, 02:10 PM
And with the help from Josh that's not cheating, unless it's a hook and hand off.

No hook and hand off here. Just Josh putting me in the right place at the right time!! :cool:

ratdog
04-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Very nice, and I'm jealous!

EFISH
04-09-2009, 03:54 PM
The hook and hand off was just a ha ha. I have no doubt that josh put you in the right place at the right time....
good job
Peace
EFISH

Podaker
04-09-2009, 04:14 PM
nice size yellow! good luck catching more this summer.

PB fisher
04-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Love it! looks good size- what was the weight?
Congrats!!!!

NextBite
04-09-2009, 04:57 PM
nice yellowtail :yt:

yakrider
04-09-2009, 05:17 PM
PFFFFT first trip to LJ...what the...

congratulations...
and :the_finger: at the same time...
took me 11 loooong ass sun up to sun down days down there to get my first LJ YT...:you_rock:
hope to get the chance to fish down there again one of these days...
Josh is great teacher...

Bpcode3
04-09-2009, 05:21 PM
"I want my trophy too were do i sign up?"

Me too, Me too. Nice catch and pics, gonna have to make my way down south soon

Spyder
04-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Congrats Kent! Thats a nice model too.

Billy V
04-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Congratulations on your Yellowtail.

Now that you've experienced first hand how magical La Jolla can be,
please write a letter or 2 to help preserve our fishing grounds.
There are several posts with mailing addresses in the General Discussion Forum.

-See you on the water
Billy V

blackcloud9
04-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Wow, you know what they say about time on the water ..... "it's best
spent being towed around by a fat mossback". :)

Congrats on the trophy YT!

Pescavore1
04-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Beautiful fish and shot. You got this on your first trip to LJ? You're making Josh look good. :rolleyes:

vito
04-10-2009, 06:15 AM
that's a hefty fish congrats!!:cheers1:

WahooUSMA
04-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Kent and Josh,
I want you both to know that the YT was really my fish! Had I not gotten sea sick (FYI – 5 hour energy drinks and coffee don’t mix) Sunday, and a meeting on Monday morning, it would have been me in the picture with that damn YT lying across my lap and not <st1:country-region w:st=" border=" 0="" alt="">Kent. </st1:country-region>I did learn that when sea sick, you really can sleep on an X-Factor! Thanks for letting me borrow your boat Josh…..Nice fish <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1>Kent</st1></st1:country-region>.
<o>
</o>

linghunter
04-10-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm always happy to snap a shot of a nice tail.

See you on the water.

Paul

LakersFan
04-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Congratulations RoeBoat!!! I met you and your son out at Newport last week -- You said you were going to get a white seabass, not a great big yellowtail!

driftwood
04-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Me too, Me too. Nice catch and pics, gonna have to make my way down south soon

Got milk? Opps rrrrr got trophy?

http://inshorekayak.com/

RoeBoat
04-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Congratulations RoeBoat!!! I met you and your son out at Newport last week -- You said you were going to get a white seabass, not a great big yellowtail!

I was hoping for one of each. :) Yes, that was us. It was good to meet you. I'll keep my eyes open for you in NPH.

THE DARKHORSE
04-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Kent and Josh,
I want you both to know that the YT was really my fish! Had I not gotten sea sick (FYI – 5 hour energy drinks and coffee don’t mix) Sunday, and a meeting on Monday morning, it would have been me in the picture with that damn YT lying across my lap and not <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:country-region alt="" 0="" w:st=" border=">Kent. </st1:country-region>I did learn that when sea sick, you really can sleep on an X-Factor! Thanks for letting me borrow your boat Josh…..Nice fish <st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1>Kent</ST1></st1:country-region>.
<O>
</O>

"it would have been me in the picture with that damn YT lying across my lap and not <st1:country-region alt="" 0="" w:st=" border=">Kent." </st1:country-region>

The fact of the matter is "that Yellowtail" was going to end up on Kent's deck either way. I made sure to switch his light action Badarka bass rod with a Seeker of mine. Then we ripped the old 20 lb mono off his Avet SX and put on some fresh 30 lb P-Line...the stage was set. This simply allowed my to relax when he hooked his fish. The hardest part of fishing is finding your target. The sour taste left in your mouth from losing fish to equipment failure is hard to swallow. Kent looked like an old pro and brought that fish to the surface in no time. All I can say is that if you were there you probably would have caught one too ;).

h2ofishfo
04-11-2009, 11:11 PM
"it would have been me in the picture with that damn YT lying across my lap and not <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:country-region alt="" w:st=" border=" 0="">Kent." </st1:country-region>

I made sure to switch his light action Badarka bass rod ;).good to know i always wonder who bought that rod:D

yaky yak
04-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Its all about being in the right place at the right time, and it doesn't hurt to have a fish whisper whispering up the fish. Great fish. Great guide.