PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Josh!

habanero
04-16-2009, 01:12 PM
After spending the majority of my life as a recreational fisherman, like many others I took some pride in the skills I picked up over the years. This would include years of sight fishing clear cold Trout streams with a fly rod imitating local patterns, to fishing territorial Tiger Musky where they should be just as the barometer falls. Over time the hours spent in fresh water began to run parallel with my hours in the salt. I've caught many Yellowtail off the kayak over the years and even got lucky with a random beast of a White Seabass last year. Despite all the time spent comparing notes with other experienced fisherman who had limited time on the water as well, I feel luck held dominance on my catch. I can honestly say I had not yet felt the satisfaction one gets from landing the intended saltwater target as I knew from fishing freshwater. I think luck will always have a part in fishing success but this website proves we would all like to hedge our bets. I'd love to say that my inshore fishing is starting to gel by my own determination, but that wouldn't be true. I owe a big thanks to The Darkhorse (Josh Pruitt) for upping my skills. I'm one of those victims of the latest economy and consequently find my self with more time then money; arguably a great problem to have. In these tough times one might have to think outside the box and get creative to maximize my multimedia skills. After I looked at Josh's website I couldn't help but think a little trade might be in order. The idea of a win-win situation was proposed; I build him a new website trading my skills and knowledge for some professional fishing tips and tricks, and this is what I got!
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/LJ_YT_043B.jpg
Sure, I could of accidentally pedaled out this day and somehow went all the way to this one spot away from any known structure...but it sure was nice getting a call instead.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/LJ_YT_045C.jpg
Then there was this one epic day with hardly a soul on the water. Josh had these fish located and knew what time they were going to bite, tide change mid-afternoon. Even considering the amount of free time I have these days I can't be on the water as much as this guy. I managed to hook five this afternoon, kept three, serious sore arms fun! This was my best Kayak Yellowtail day ever! Josh pleaded with me not to post this photo, saying "it would send chills up the spine of every angler up the coast and screamed squid bite". This wasn't a squid bite and occurred miles off the typical grounds. By pure coincidence, my personal computer was experiencing technical difficulties and I probably saved kayak anglers thousands of dollars in gas. Sometimes it's priceless little bits of information which prove that fishing is sometimes more black and white than shades of gray.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/LJ_WSB_LJ_046B.jpg
I know for a fact that I wouldn't have caught this amazing fish without some things that have been brought to my attention recently. Besides the fact that I had to go buy a new ice-chest from Costco to fit this bad boy, I don't have to worry about the ghost fever for a while. I hope you enjoy my part of the trade, Josh. Thanks for the call, again. Without a doubt, this was the best money I never spent!

ratdog
04-16-2009, 01:26 PM
WOW, Amazing. Thanks for sharing.

nabeeko
04-16-2009, 01:32 PM
hanabero:you_rock:
You've done a great job with his site!

oh... great catches by the way:D:cheers1:

Steve

driftwood
04-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Jackpot!!! :cheers1: And this is only the biginning. Summer is still yet to come. We have a new pro:notworthy:

bellcon
04-16-2009, 01:54 PM
the smile in the middle picture says it all
awesome job!
congrats Don
been waiting for that pic to be shown for awhile
:cheers1::cheers1::cheers1: :cheers1::cheers1:
(1 for each beast:D)

Riskey Water
04-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Well you sure had your MOJO working to pulloff trophies like those the fishing gods were definitely on your side that day but just how many long lonely fruitless hours days weeks months before you were rewarded some just dont comprehend my hat off to you and Ill crack a brew for you:reeling::jig: just keep working it and more magic shall follow in time congrates to you :sifone::cheers1: Riskey Water

dorado50
04-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Don, more than awesome,more than great,more like epic!!! Gotta love days like that! Patience is a virture,it does pay off! WTG...........

habanero
04-16-2009, 05:19 PM
D50, Riskey, you called it, a big part of the equation is time on the water. I've been working LJ more then I can recall in the last few months. The only way I could see doing more time would be if it was my job! I think I'll stick to computer stuff and let the pros do the daily 4 am wake up call. Thanks Steve, I'm glad you like the site.

ElectroMike
04-16-2009, 07:30 PM
So where's the link to the site? Was thinking about inlisting ther services of the Darkhorse.

Johnp
04-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Don congrats. you have earned every ounce of those fish. Your perseverance and determination have paid off. You had the guidance but you also have put lots of time in. Keep it up and the phrase "Hot as a Hananero" could take hold.

yakrider
04-16-2009, 08:03 PM
wow...what a great story...congrats on the fish and the time on the water...
oh...and...nice work Josh

Billy V
04-16-2009, 09:12 PM
http://inshorekayak.com/

frugalfisher
04-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Holy SHIT!

aftahour
04-16-2009, 09:59 PM
looking good..

Fiskadoro
04-16-2009, 11:33 PM
http://inshorekayak.com/

Pretty Fancy... Looks great!!!

Jim

Fiskadoro
04-16-2009, 11:35 PM
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/LJ_YT_045C.jpg

What a great pic!!!! :sifone:

slayersmith
04-17-2009, 06:54 AM
Sick PICS!! Post of the month!!! Congrats on the pigs!

Take it easy!

Aaron

dos ballenas
04-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Let me guess? 115 feet, 11:15 am, outside of outside?

Very nice WSB, a fish nightmares are made of!!!

habanero
04-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Pretty Fancy... Looks great!!!

Jim
Thanks Jim,
I'm new at making web pages but I have a lot of experience using other computer graphic applications so we did what we could for now. :alberteinstein:

Pescavore1
04-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Then there was this one epic day with hardly a soul on the water. Josh had these fish located and knew what time they were going to bite, tide change mid-afternoon.

Don,

It was amazing watching you hook up one after another that day. I got a late start and I only got one. I should have stayed in that spot instead of going after the birds, because the fish popped right where Josh said they would, and when they would. Simply amazing.

Good job on Josh's website, but you have a pretty good website yourself. Nice work.

Jay

habanero
04-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Thank you all for the thumbs up! Jay, that was a day I will not foget. It was a pleasure sharing it. See you OTW soon.

DENNYh
04-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Keyword: "mid-afternoon tide change", this is a major factor when targeting mossback. The hot bit tends to shut off when there is no water movement so finding a good current will improve your chances. This along with water temp and clean water and your in good shape.......I would have only charged you a six pack, nicely done habanero

THE DARKHORSE
04-17-2009, 09:15 PM
The fact of the matter is Don's a hell of a fisherman himself. I wasn't exactly tieing knots here, but he could use a little practice casting the iron :p. Yes, Don has put some time in lately for that ridiculously fat White Seabass. I had the honor of sinking the gaff in her, with my arm under water up to my shoulder last monday. But, honestly, Don is one of the most unlucky anglers I've ever met. The guy had the spectator seat quite a few times and somehow just couldn't get bit, but he's batting a thousand when he does.

Not to mention he never forgets to bring a couple cold ones to celebrate with, thanks again for all your hard work :cheers1:.

TomTurtle
04-20-2009, 12:23 AM
BOOM! that it.. thats all i got... BOOM!