PDA

View Full Version : Lost Standard Horizon 460S radio 1-21-06

Holy Mackerel
01-23-2006, 04:22 PM
I will gladly pay a reward if you found a SH 460S radio on the beach, or street. I am not sure if I lost it at either place... Here is the model.

http://www.vitmarine.com/std-hx460s.html

Thanks, Chris :cry:

aguachico
01-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Shit Chris. I have that same model and it ain't cheap. Small. Easily lost in the yak, car - I hope you find it.

AC

Johnp
01-23-2006, 07:43 PM
If you have to buy a new one West Marine had some really good deals last week. I purchased their brand for 79.00 + 15% 0ff and like it much better than my old S.H. 270.

madscientist
01-24-2006, 07:44 AM
I've had bad luck with the west marine brand radio. The seal that keeps the battery waterproof is not very good. But if you get their warranty, might be fine.

Holy Mackerel
01-24-2006, 08:12 AM
Thanks all, I will give it one more look around the house, which I am 99% sure, never made it there, and get another. I think I am gonna stick with Standard Horizon, I landed, tumbled, in surf, splashed the heck out of that radio, down right neglected it, and it still worked great. Saw one froogled for about $185. I think mine was nearly $300 a couple years ago! I believe I read on this board that West Marine will match online prices.

Chris

Jimm H
01-24-2006, 08:35 AM
I've had bad luck with the west marine brand radio. The seal that keeps the battery waterproof is not very good. But if you get their warranty, might be fine

Yeah, I want my radio to fail on the one day I have an on-the-water emergency because I was cheap, and saved $$$ buying a second rate radio with an extended warranty that fails due to the seal around the battery compartment (or whatever else.)

Sorry, but I find it amazing that guys will spend $200-$400 on each reel, and be cheap on a device that could save their life.

Not picking on you Brad, just thought I'd point out the obvious flaw for the novices out there that worship your posts...

bluesquids
01-24-2006, 09:31 AM
That's a bummer man. S.Horizon is the only way to go (IMHO). I've freaked out a few times thinking mine was lost . I looked at that model but was talked out of it for two reasons. I was told that the Lithium charge doesn't last as long as the NiMH charge. AND the Lithium model only takes Lithium batteries. The NiMH can aslo take regular AA's. So you can keep some spares on board. Also, regular AA's have a long shelf life, the rechargeables will lose their charge just laying around. Of coures it's not as small as the Lithium but it's only a little bit bigger really. Still fits into a PFD pocket easy.
That being said Bass Pro Shops has the HX270 for $119.99 right now.
If I was looking for one right now, I'd get a West Marine price match and their $15 extended Warranty.
Good luck.

madscientist
01-24-2006, 11:13 AM
I've had bad luck with the west marine brand radio. The seal that keeps the battery waterproof is not very good. But if you get their warranty, might be fine

Yeah, I want my radio to fail on the one day I have an on-the-water emergency because I was cheap, and saved $$$ buying a second rate radio with an extended warranty that fails due to the seal around the battery compartment (or whatever else.)

Sorry, but I find it amazing that guys will spend $200-$400 on each reel, and be cheap on a device that could save their life.

Not picking on you Brad, just thought I'd point out the obvious flaw for the novices out there that worship your posts...

For your information Mr expert VHF user, mine never failed on the water. It just began to not recharge properly. I replaced the battery and that one also eventually had the same problem, despite the use of a supposedly waterproof bag. But when charged it always worked fine. I just wouldn't get another of that brand.

Why do you even need a radio, Jimm. I can hear you on the beach from the NW corner. :lol: I guess you need to broadcast all your catches. Oh, wait a minute.... 8)

Jimm H
01-24-2006, 11:43 AM
never mind

Grego
01-24-2006, 11:44 AM
I want to buy this one....

http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=85&encProdID=yTVO7adizes%3D&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0

but the standard horizon i got won't break, lose it's charge, or get lost for the past 4 years or so. The only thing that happened is the antenna broke last year and I got another one for $10.

madscientist
01-24-2006, 11:53 AM
never mind
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

See you out there. :D

Johnp
01-24-2006, 08:19 PM
I tried two hx270's and had problems w/ both. The west marine radio i bought usually sells for 169.00 and i found it to be more user friendly than my S.H. West Marine provides a free quality dry dry bag w/ purchase. I know someone who has been using this radio for a while w/ no problems. (I used to try and listen to his when my 270 was not working)

Johnp
01-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Three year warranty,and i presume i will discover if it is not working before i go out and on land, as i check my gear before launching. I'm the guy that offered you help that day you could not start your ski because you did not check your battery charge. See you out there! :D

Jimm H
01-26-2006, 07:19 AM
And, I appreciated your help that day, John. That's the trouble with motorized versus paddle.

Still, it's been a fun machine to use when I'm not out in the kayak.

hyspy
01-26-2006, 01:39 PM
http://www.absoluteanime.com/admin/favtoy/favtoy-transformers-soundwave.jpg

Kenny
01-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Chris, Standard is the only way to go...I've had them since they were in Gardena and the radios used 2 crystals per channal :D The Customer Service can't be beat...Whe I got into kayaks I got an HX 460S and had water proof problems, took it back and they gave me another new one... Same thing happened and they gave me another new one...I told them we do monthly tournaments and they gave me a spare so I would always have one that worked...Haven't had any problems since they "gave" me the spare HX460S ... They are also still local in Cypress across from Alamitos Race Track so you don't have to mail them or send for any goodies like Gregos antenae....Unless you live in Texas :roll: :lol: Kenny

scwafish
01-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Bummer. I fumbled my radio into SF bay on our last sturgeon outing...Doh! Sank like a stone. Thankfully it was a cheap-a$$ radio, which I replaced with another one just like it after learning just how ez it was too be gone!

Piranha
01-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Get one of these and if it falls overboard it'll float! Not necessary to remove it from the pac to use it! :lol: Piranha :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUAPAC-Waterproof-VHF-MARINE-Ocean-RIVER-Radio-SCANNER_W0QQitemZ5857595142QQcategoryZ15051QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Kenny
01-27-2006, 04:12 PM
In my opinion if your radio goes over the side you should be connected to it...A VHF radio is part of your safety equiptment and should be connected to you in case you need in if you go ever the side in bad weather conditions that can come up in a hurry...What good is a radio in a case that floats floating away from you and you can't get to it for some reason :?: Just my 2 cents...Kenny

PlasticSkipper
01-27-2006, 04:57 PM
Some of you may laugh (or whine) but I bought the Cobra 2-pack marine vhf radios at West Marine for $79 including two dry bags. Actually, I saw them on sale for $79 and then went back a couple weeks later and they were back to regular price $129 for the pair. I asked the floor manager when they would go on sale again and he said not soon but I'll let you buy them for last week's sale price. The first one is still going strong 4 months later using it 2-3 times a week. When that one fails I'll start using the other. Probably not worth the extended warranty. Not many features but <$40 each including dry bag. I only use the vhf for monitoring Iranian warships, my cell phone is my true life saver and communication device, it goes unfolded into a small "talk through" dry bag that I bought from Jim Sammon's web site. Dave

Thursday's crack of dawn.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/sunrise1.jpg

madscientist
01-27-2006, 05:04 PM
Yeah, those Iranian warships are getting close! :shock:

PlasticSkipper
01-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Did you hear that too, Iranian warships asking if US ships were conducting flight ops? I thought about telling that yahoo he was whacked but I was busy putting bait on the bottom. Dave

steamroll
01-27-2006, 05:51 PM
On Sunday I heard on the VHF "This is the United States Navy Hospital Ship Mercy, We are conducting humanitarian missions. You must vacate or we will use deadly force."
:shock: :o

madscientist
01-28-2006, 01:00 PM
I assume they are just doing training missions.

Or we are being invaded by Iran. Perhaps they want to restore a democratic government here. :lol: