PDA

View Full Version : Fun and Follies with my new Hobie Pro Fisherman

Honker
04-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Bought a couple Pro Fisherman's at the Fred Hall. I've been sitting on the fence for a couple years and this winter's sea bass, Yellow bite off La Jolla, pushed me over the edge.
Finally got to use them last Saturday. Decided to go to Mission Bay, near Bahia. Got in, pushed off shore and went to set the mirage drive in. Wouldn't seat for me. My gal is off and running, while I'm struggling. Took it out one more time and to my shock, a fin is missing! Not sure if it would float and couldn't find it. My lady come back and we search thru the eel grass....yeah, lot's of luck. After about 15 minutes and a bad feeling in my stomach, I see something floating nearby...the fin! Now things turn more bazaar. The nut, that attaches to the screw, which holds the fin onto the rod, is firmly still attached to the screw. IMPOSSIBLE!! It would have ripped out the plastic, but all was intact. Fiddled for another 20 minutes, re-attaching the fin. Left my reading glasses at home....lame. Finally got everything attached. Pushed the drive unit in FIRMLY, after my gal tells me how it's done, and sheepishly get underway. By now, the morning bite is done and the tide was not moving very well.
We scratched 5 small bass but the last one was noteworthy. My gal gets hooked up, by Ventura Bridge. I had notice a LARGE sea lion nearby. She lifts up the bass and wants me to come over and see it. Her excitement turned to screams as the bull seal ion came up from underneth and grabbed the bass. Scared the hell out of her. I thought both pole and gal were going overboard. Luckily the bass ripped off the hook and it was over.
WELCOME TO KAYAK FISHING!!:cheers1:

Matt
04-20-2009, 07:21 AM
WoW!! A couple years ago during the MB MBF tourney I hooked a cuda and had a very similar play by play. Glad the wife is ok and that you got your boat up and running! So how do you like the new Yak?

Honker
04-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Love the new yak. Still need to trick it out some, but it really is a great fishing platform and the speed is amazing, considering the small effort on your legs. The tough part is storage and getting them on and off my F-150. However it's do-able and a small price to pay. Taking them over to the river in a couple weeks to do some striper fishing!!

Holy Mackerel
04-20-2009, 09:52 AM
WoW!! A couple years ago during the MB MBF tourney I hooked a cuda and had a very similar play by play.

I think I remember that. :linesnap:

Honker welcome to the sport. :cool: