PDA

View Full Version : Seaside Reef, Cardiff 1/24 11:30-1:30

twinfin
01-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Paddled out just south of Seaside reef for the first time. Had to take a few in the lap, but made it out pretty easy. I set up drifts outside of the surfbreak where the lobster pots were. Ended up with a 17 inch halibut, 3# calico and a shorty sandy all just off the bottom with 4 inch brown plastics tipped with a little bit of GULP . I had tons of short bites right on the bottom...I think my drift was a bit to quick too let whatever was tappin me hop on. Timed the landing between sets and surfed on in nice and easy 8)

Dan

F'nArne
01-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Hey Dan-
How's the launch at Charlies? I was there with the kids a couple weeks ago and the lagoon mouth was closed off with sand and it looks like the surf breaks have moved around a bit. I'm looking for a new launch spot up there.

Did you try the pipe north of Seaside?

twinfin
01-24-2006, 01:41 PM
Fn'A--
Cardiff Reef (Charlies) was totally doable, I just picked Seaside because the parking situation is supreme---free and unlimited with a shower. Didn't fish the pipe--ended up paddling south to tabletop reef and drifted north with the wind/current. Lots of mixed reef/sand in 15-25 foot H2O.

mars
01-25-2006, 07:53 AM
I just picked Seaside because the parking situation is supreme---free and unlimited with a shower.

Hey Dan - where do you park for free at Seaside? I'm pretty sure it's part of the state park system and they charge. Or do you park on the street? I generally park at Cardiff Reef, but I have an annual state park day-use pass.

Haven't fished Cardiff since before the series of swells started hitting. Can't wait to get back out there. I have never launched at Seaside, though I’ve been wanting to give it a try. We used to have pretty good luck out there when I was a grommet (fishing out of PBs or off our long boards).

-kvn

twinfin
01-25-2006, 08:19 AM
where do you park for free at Seaside?

The kiosk at the entrance has been closed for a while, at least on weekdays...I just launched south of the peak closer to tabletop... :)

Mr_PeaCH
01-25-2006, 09:07 AM
where do you park for free at Seaside?

The kiosk at the entrance has been closed for a while, at least on weekdays...I just launched south of the peak closer to tabletop... :)

Dan, I hate to rain on your parade but I think you've just been lucky so far. As Mars said, those parking lots are part of the State Parks system and unless explicitly noted they require a fee... even if the kiosk at the site is closed. Now I could be wrong but I suspect that the Seaside one operates on the same principle as the Cardiff one which is that when the booth isn't manned they expect you to go all the way back up to the campground and purchase your day-use permit there. Or if you have the year-long pass you have to have it prominently displayed. Chances are that you've managed to park during windows when the patrols weren't coming by and looking for violators.

Only exception that I know of (and this was last year, haven't checked it lately) was that the Torrey Pines lot specifically says that a fee is required between Memorial Day and Labor Day and they will have the booth manned then.

Just sayin'

Thanks for the report; as with Mars I've only fished north of there but been meaning to get launched down thataway some day.

twinfin
01-25-2006, 09:25 AM
I've found both Seaside and South Carlsbad (south of ponto) pretty much wide open in the winter weekdays for the last two years--(both my favorite surf spots).....Cardiff is another story. In fact, the ranger who happened to roll by asked how the fishing was yesterday :) and the kiosk is all winterized and boarded up.

bigderel
01-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Does it say that on the kiosk (the part about going back to get a day pass at the campground)? I'll bet you could fight it if they aren't clear about the permit (?)

Hey Mars, are you the same Kevin from the insurance courses? If so this is Andy...I accidentally erased your email about fishing, and I can't find your contact info.

mars
01-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Does it say that on the kiosk (the part about going back to get a day pass at the campground)? I'll bet you could fight it if they aren't clear about the permit (?)

Hey Mars, are you the same Kevin from the insurance courses? If so this is Andy...I accidentally erased your email about fishing, and I can't find your contact info.

Yeah, same guy. How’s it going? We're thinking of hitting the bay on Saturday if you're interested (shoot me a PM). Thinking of launching in Coronado.

I don't think the kiosks at Cardiff say anything about going to the campgrounds to get a pass, but I could be wrong. I just know from experience that they expect you to do that. And since I've had the annual pass for the last couple of years, I don't pay much attention to any signs on the kiosks. You're right though, if it's not posted, you'd have a pretty good argument for not paying

BOZ
01-25-2006, 06:44 PM
I spend alot of time in all the North County parking lots. From what I've seen, if the kiosks are not manned, the Cardiff lot, and the North end of San Elijo day use lot are the only lots you need to either pay, or have day use to park year around. My guess is the close proximity to the campground, and that ability to get your $$$ is why these lots are not free. The Ponto, and the Seaside lots are free as long as nobody is in the kiosk. That includes arriving before the kiosk is open.

There is a nice launch @ Seaside. I've launched, and seen other guys launch through some pretty big surf. You need to watch the tide because the beach is disappears at high tide, and you have to believe that the right hander coming right at you will back off into deeper water.

A whiteknuckler, E ticket for sure!!!

Boz