PDA

View Full Version : SD Bay Wednesday 5/13

fisheds
05-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Have read many posts here and felt it time to contribute to the board. To start off, unfortunately I didn't realize the camera was dead until I was in the middle of the bay so no pictures for now.

Launched SI at 7:30 to fish the incoming tide. Tide change was about 3ft over 6 hours. Light wind pushing in the same direction as the tide. Started off at the pole shoal and drifted across towards the gas pump station. Used 3/8 oz. football lead heads on 4" Gulp red swimming mullets and 5" new penny crazy leg jerk shads dead sticked off the bottom or slow retrieved. Caught 12 bass (sandies and spotties mix), 1 juvenile black sea bass, 1 sculpin, 3 very short halibuts, and one fish that I dont know what it was (camera really would have come in handy here). Off the water by 10:45. Hottest part of the bite was between 8:30 and 9:30. Spring time bay bite is finally here.

Sorry about the post reading like stereo instructions, hope to get better at posting and picture taking in the near future. The unknown fish was a light tan and white coloring, round shape like a sunfish (about dinner plate size), forked tail, small mouth but had some teeth. It was about 5lbs. Reminded me of a pompano but a bit more rounded. Any ideas?

JD
05-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Almost sounds like a trigger, but i'd assume it's still too cold for that?

thien
05-15-2009, 08:28 AM
sounds like a trigger fish. didnt know you could catch them in the bay though. I've caught plenty of them in baja and some around north county and lj.

fisheds
05-15-2009, 12:47 PM
First thought was that it was like a trigger, but didn't think they would come up this far. I know they catch Triggers down in LA bay, but dont know how far north they get.

JD
05-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Small handfuls of triggers show up in SD, OC and LA each summer, but very small numbers and not in bays....at least not to my knowledge!