PDA

View Full Version : LJ 2/08 PM

madscientist
02-09-2006, 07:18 AM
http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/files/4/7/3/0/DSC09950.JPG

Back on bug patrol since the wife laid claim to last night's haul for some girl's night on Friday. Got out just before sunset and headed out into a slightly larger swell. Big rollers had me a bit nervous since I was paddling solo, but my spot was still away from the main breaks so I set up shop there. Better once it got dark, then I couldn't see the swells and started to relax. Pretty much the same story as last night. Narrow crawl window, done by 8:00pm. Lots of shorts, couple of eels, couple of spider crabs, and 6 legals.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/files/4/7/3/0/DSC09948_685668.JPG

Made cold lobster and pasta salad that didn't come out that great. Missing something. Any suggestions?

phughes
02-09-2006, 07:42 AM
Nice haul. Good to see something coming back in for dinner in light of the slow going the last week or so.

DESTROYER
02-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Brad- It's all about Fresh Herbs and the Correct amount of acid. The best herb that goes with lobster is Tarragon. If you were to make a Tarragon Vinaigrette and mix that with your pasta...it would be the bomb.

1 cup Champagne Vinager
2 1/2 cups Blended olive oil
2 bunches fresh tarragon (Chopped Fine)
2 each Shallot (minced)
salt to taste
black pepper to taste

*let this sit for an hour, this will be even better the next day

I just did a party last night use local lobster poached then chilled. I cut them in three chunks...half tails! Hearts of Romaine, Sliced Fuji Apples and pickled red onions with that vinaigrette...Try it!

TL-Matt

madscientist
02-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Thanks Matt. I was looking for tarragon last night but I think the wife used it all up. The apple is a good idea as well, give it some different texture. I still have a bunch so I'll add those and hopefully improve it.

T-Rex
02-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Sounds like a great recipe..gonna give it a try this weekend!

As far as cooking goes, I've been splitting bugs in half, cleaning them and then stir-frying/steaming them with white wine & tarragon. Definitely gives the meat a better flavor than boiling whole. It was mentioned on another board that boiling can sometimes impart a funky taste to WC spiny lobster.

Iceman
02-09-2006, 02:07 PM
I can't stand it any longer. I am going tonight around sunset. Hope the wind dies, the swells around the point are going to be enough to deal with.

madscientist
02-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Watch yourself. There's about one every hour that really get's your attention. :shock: Good luck.

DESTROYER
02-09-2006, 02:58 PM
What you heard about boailing them is false. You boil them, make sure you salt the water very very well. a one and half pound lobster only takes about 8 minutes to be cooked if that. I never boil mine all the way unless i'm going to cool them down in a ice batch and serve them cold in a salad. Locals are the very best with a dry rub: Chili Powder, Cumin, Salt, Black Pepper, Paprika, Oregano, and a little Alspice, then grille them and dip it in drawn butter....YOUR FRIENDS WILL LOVE YOU!

TL-MATT

madscientist
02-09-2006, 03:25 PM
I've been steaming them in beer and that seems to work well. takes a little longer than boiling though.

T-Rex
02-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Matt,

Thanks for the info...I'll try using more salt. That last recipe got me motivated to hit DP tonight!

Tman
02-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Nice...
I will have some free time next week and will be hitting it.
Hopefully they will want to crawl in my nets.

Uh, Matt, all of these recipes you're throwing out, I will supply the fluid if you do the cooking...

Pat
02-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Damn...fishing must be terrible if everyone is getting excited about cooking. :?

Somebody please turn this bite on.

Jimm H go travelling overseas or something. :D

lamb
02-09-2006, 10:47 PM
:lol:

I'll bet you $$ numero 38 is turning this one on.

Or this is some sort curse, nasty spell... :( It will be lifted if and only if Jimm signs up to WCW 06.

...he set us up with the new rules... :lol:

T-Rex
10-01-2006, 12:03 PM
What you heard about boailing them is false. You boil them, make sure you salt the water very very well. a one and half pound lobster only takes about 8 minutes to be cooked if that. I never boil mine all the way unless i'm going to cool them down in a ice batch and serve them cold in a salad. Locals are the very best with a dry rub: Chili Powder, Cumin, Salt, Black Pepper, Paprika, Oregano, and a little Alspice, then grille them and dip it in drawn butter....YOUR FRIENDS WILL LOVE YOU!

TL-MATT

Hey Matt,

Just tried this and it worked GREAT. Salting the water well is the hot ticket. Also added some garlic, onion, bay leaf, quarterd lemons, chili oil, paprika & cajun spices to the boil. Then the dry rub & a quick trip to the grille. I just had some for lunch and all I can say is MY FRIENDS ARE OUT OF LUCK!!! :lol:

Thanks for the tip.

TL
Rex