PDA

View Full Version : Scouting Report

dsafety
06-20-2009, 06:13 PM
We are a week away from the MLPA Fundraising Tournament in La Jolla. This forum has been spooky quiet lately when it comes to reports about the action, (or lack of action), in the kelp beds. Is everyone keeping their exploits quiet in order to gain some sort of an advantage next Saturday?

I say that this is fine. It is a competition after all. On the other hand, it would really be nice if some of the experts would throw a bone or two to the many rookies, (like me), for whom this event will be their first tournament. So, if you are in a generous mood, please drop a few hints to the masses.

Speaking of the masses, we are up to about 85 official registrants for the fundraiser. We expect a bunch of last minute entrants this week and there will surely be a few people, who will show up the day of the event with check in hand.

We hoped for 100 boats. It looks very promising that we will reach that goal. Can we dare to dream a bit and wish for 150?

See you on the water.

Bob

kurtman
06-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Bod, Please provide information on the contest and entry details.

Thank you, Kurtman

dsafety
06-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Hi Kurtman,

Here is a link to one of the treads on this forum relating to the MLPA Fundraiser. There are many others. http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=5012

If you have questions, please PM me.

Bob

dsafety
06-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Oops, I forgot to give you the link to the signup sheet. Here it is.

http://www.diamond-safety.com/signup-form.htm

Bob

Tman
06-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Bob,

Haven't you heard? There are no fish in LJ, populations depleted, kelp diminished, at least according to the MLPA findings....

From me personally, thanks for your help in all this, can't believe it's your first tourney (translation = you'll get big fish honors), and look forward to meeting ya...:you_rock:

mangoman
06-20-2009, 08:51 PM
That our maybe its WFO who knows??????????? :linesnap:

dsafety
06-20-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm really good at catching bait. Is there a category for that?

Bob

Tman
06-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Yes....

There are different rankings.
No, I can't go there...chit's too easy...:biggrinjester::D:sifone:

You've helped out too much...I'm going easy on ya...

And dang it Mangoman, spellcheck!

mangoman
06-21-2009, 07:18 AM
Ok Tman downloaded ispell just for you. But still dose not have a grammar feature, so your :the_finger:

Tman
06-21-2009, 08:02 AM
:D:you_rock:

See ya Saturday

dsafety
06-21-2009, 11:21 AM
LATEST UPDATE! 92 Official Entrants. Way to go guys.

Bob

AndSan
06-21-2009, 01:31 PM
:(. damn the only day that i cant go! i have to do the inspection for my new house!!!! what a bummer

CurtyL
06-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Bob,

Haven't you heard? There are no fish in LJ, populations depleted, kelp diminished, at least according to the MLPA findings....

Well Tman I don't know about all that but LJ has been dead for about 5 weeks. Breezing WSB is about it. On and off cuda. Hali's inside the kelp...if you work it hard. No YT this week and no reason to think they'll be around next week either. Threshers are in at the pencil buoy and early AM calcs are always around the kelp. But who wants to get up early and rig for calcs? Kind of a self-defeating prophecy. 100 yaks on LJ? Can't wait to see that.

Billy V
06-21-2009, 08:28 PM
I haven't checked the official rules on the Big Fish category.

Are we going to limit Big Fish to our favorite (3) Yellowtail, Halibut, and White Sea Bass ? Are we going to open it up to an Other category as well?

ie. Bonita, Mackerel, Rock Fish, Lings, etc. (don't laugh, there are some big macs out there)

In the past sharks and rays have not been allowed, I'm assuming it will stay that way. No sharks, or rays.

Tman
06-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Well Tman I don't know about all that but LJ has been dead for about 5 weeks. Breezing WSB is about it. On and off cuda. Hali's inside the kelp...if you work it hard. No YT this week and no reason to think they'll be around next week either. Threshers are in at the pencil buoy and early AM calcs are always around the kelp. But who wants to get up early and rig for calcs? Kind of a self-defeating prophecy. 100 yaks on LJ? Can't wait to see that.

I can't say about the bite, haven't ventured out of LJ recently...but, official start of summer today, plenty of bikinis at my beach today to appease the Dads...:sifone:...and a new moon manana...prime time for a chance to see 100+ yaks on the pond.

Show up Saturday and you will see it...and the on-the-water group photo will be worth it alone...

CurtyL
06-21-2009, 09:33 PM
true that. with 100 vessls we could set our own blockade of the canyons!! hopefully the fish will cooperate.

Billy V
06-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Show up Saturday and you will see it...and the on-the-water group photo will be worth it alone...

I'm hoping to use that group photo in a positive way at future MLPA Meetings.

There are other uses I have in mind that will serve us well.

It will be a historic photo and moment to be proud of.

Jason
06-22-2009, 07:25 AM
There are some big fish roaming LJ right now. I fished LJ on Saturday with my father-in-law and he scored his PB YT at just a hair under 41lbs. He caught it on a live mack up top in 120' of water. I also saw a toad of a WSB that another yaker landed. We will both be attending the fundraiser. See you guys on Saturday.

Jason

dadandsonkayak
06-22-2009, 09:04 AM
There are some big fish roaming LJ right now. I fished LJ on Saturday with my father-in-law and he scored his PB YT at just a hair under 41lbs. He caught it on a live mack up top in 120' of water. I also saw a toad of a WSB that another yaker landed. We will both be attending the fundraiser. See you guys on Saturday.

Jason me and my dad went out saturday... my dad caught a monsterous calico wieghing about 8 pounds.. i might post it if my dad can get his camera downloaded... other than that we didnt catch a white or a yellow...i did hook a seal though with a 15 pound rod and 15 pound test and spooled me out :linesnap::banghead: