PDA

View Full Version : Islander 6/19

B Slate
06-22-2009, 06:53 AM
I was lucky enough to get out on the 1.5 day on the islander. This was my first mothership trip. The captain and crew did a great job. The food was really good and they even did lunch to go. We had great weather and fished china point through pyramid cove. The bass bite was deep but they bit pretty good. I caught my first black seabass in the morning. A little later I started drifting for two halibut. The smaller halibut was 10 pounds and 29 inches. The bigger halibut was my personal best and won the jackpot, it was 30 pounds 43 inches. The trip was a lot of fun and it was nice meeting all of the other guys on the trip.

bigbarrels
06-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Brendon......Nice photos and nice meeting you on the trip! The 30 lb halibut was a fatty! The Islander hooks it up.....great food, great crew, great setup.....slow fishing for me but had an amazing time.....definitely going next year:)

Enjoy your fillets:cheers1:

Tom

Holy Mackerel
06-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Nice Halis! Another great trip on the Islander!

T Bone
06-22-2009, 10:23 AM
I was fishing in a PB right there with you guys.I was in a black 29' pro line cc.I offered some squid to someone in a red malibu but he didnt want any:confused: too bad as I had a 30# YT right off the point there.WO bat rays all night but no C bass.
I did the Islander trip last year and it was great.If we would have had squid then we would have had mass YT fo sho.

AWESOME WORK ON THOSE FLATTIES!

T Bone
06-22-2009, 10:25 AM
I was fishing in a PB right there with you guys.I was in a black 29' pro line cc.I offered some squid to someone in a red malibu but he didnt want any:confused: too bad as I had a 30# YT right off the point there.WO bat rays all night but no C bass.
I did the Islander trip last year and it was great.If we would have had squid then we would have had mass YT fo sho.

AWESOME WORK ON THOSE FLATTIES!

Just a pic so you would recognize the boat.I saw many yaks.a biege outback was right next to us for a while too.

bigbarrels
06-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Hey T-Bone...I watched you reel in that YT...took awhile to get to gaff and looked like a sweet YT....I was on the Red XFActor near you guys trolling some Macs around....looked like a lot of nice fish in that area on the FF....I would have taken some squid:) We arrived too late and so squid wasn't an option for us

Tom

yakrider
06-22-2009, 12:08 PM
awesome job on the big flatties...and congrats on the JP...:you_rock:

dorado50
06-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Thats a bad ass ride there,Travis! Maybe one of those is in my future?...hmmmm

Iceman
06-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Right on Brendon, stoked for ya, you seem to be attracting the flatties lately:D

landwhale
06-22-2009, 02:19 PM
WAY TO GO :you_rock::you_rock:

glad the trip treated you right

Dennis
06-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Insane! Nice job...

T Bone
06-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Dave,we got that boat up to 52kts coming out of the lee of CAT on the way home and I have the underwear to prove it!We also hooked and lost a small YT on a paddy on the way home.That CC is sick he has $125K into it.It has twin 250 verados.Going again soon,cant wait to do it again.There were boats selling squid,I plan on going next year again and it would definitely behove us to have squid maybe we can pitch in for a scoop of squirts...

Enough hijacking, B SLATE I WOULD GLADLY TRADE A 30#YT FOR A 30# FLATTIE at least once it hits the plate!

NextBite
06-22-2009, 09:24 PM
nice hali's

aftahour
06-22-2009, 09:32 PM
nice pics and report on ur first mother trip..

CurtyL
06-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Dude you're a hali killer. Good thing it's ur moms favorite

lamb
06-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Very cool, all nice fish!

Dan
06-23-2009, 05:37 AM
30# halibut. so sweet!

ship 4 brains
06-23-2009, 06:18 AM
I was on the trip also. Brendon, you certainly earned those fish. The burrito to go was classic. There was no way anybody was getting you off the water.

Fishing for me was slow too, a few calicos, but no luck looking for the home run.

As for the Islander and its crew, what a great organization. The captain, crew, cooks, everyone bent over backwards to make the trip enjoyable.

I would recommend the ship for any trip, Tuna, Long Range, Mothership, whatever. They are top notch.

It was nice meeting some faces that I see posting here, Tom, and Brandon, I have seen your screen names and now I put a face to the computer name.

Lets keep in touch and go out locally when we can make it work.

Jeff

bigbarrels
06-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Hey Jeff.....heading out Thurs AM at La Jolla if interested

Tom

ship 4 brains
06-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Tom -

Thanks for the invite. I'm heading to Catalina on Thursday AM to celebrate my 40th (Ouch). I'm taking the yak for 3 or 4 days of fishing with my cell and blackberry turned off.

Keep in touch. I'd like to hook up again.

JB

joyjiggin'
06-24-2009, 11:13 AM
NICE Halis!! It was on that Islander trip last year that I caught my first Hali. Great trip, huh? Congrats!:luxhello:

THE DARKHORSE
06-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Attack of the Plano bait-bucket dragger...gotta love it! :D

And don't take that as a slam, bro...I dragged an anchor for years myself. It will only add to your appreciation of that bait-tank when you get one.