PDA

View Full Version : Just got an email - LJ Closure!

Tman
06-30-2009, 11:51 AM
According to my sources*, LJ is temporarily closed, 3 miles out from the reserve!

This means:

No launching from LJ shores
No parking on the beach and paddling through the reserve
No landing at LJ shores (if you catch a fish OUTSIDE the reserve, you cannot bring it in to the shores)
Boundaries extend to 3 miles out, to Torrey Pines N, Windansea S
Kayaks can be in the temp reserve, but with no fishing gear present (guess it can be in your hatch, doesn't specify)

Launch options:

Windansea Beach (surf break, watch out for locals = territorial)
N Pacific Beach (minimal parking, some surf, need wheels)
Pacific Beach (surf breaks, long paddle, need wheels)
Mission Beach (surf, sandy bottom, restricted access at times)
Torrey Pines (small breaks, sandy bottom)
Del Mar - Closed
Solana Beach (surf breaks, limited access, bring wheels)

Exceptions:

Show proof of attendance at MLPA meetings, fill out comments or having spoken at said MLPA meetings.

*Sources may not be reliable...but could be...

Billy V
06-30-2009, 12:43 PM
We are taking names down on an attendance sheet.

If you don't show up and participate to help keep La Jolla open, don't show up to fish there anymore.

Earn it.

MalibuJohnny
06-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Man you got balls! :eek:

Billy V
06-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Yes I do, the balls to stand up and fight a closure in my fishing area.
La Jolla Shores.

How about you, do you have the balls to do the same ?

FISHIONADO
06-30-2009, 02:23 PM
First the enviro-whackos were threatening to close La Jolla and now some yahoo is threatening if we don't attend a meeting he is going to stop us from fishing La Jolla. Where is Turko? IT AIN'T RIGHT!

Billy V
06-30-2009, 02:26 PM
So you don't like to be told what to do ?

How will you feel when you are told La Jolla Shores is closed to all fishing ?

Come to the meeting tonight and tell me how you feel.

Fritz
06-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Where and when is the meeting?

Billy V
06-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Where and when is the meeting?

Tonight -- Tuesday, June 30
Marina Village Conference Ctr.
1936 Quivira Way
San Diego, Ca 92109

Its open from from 5:30 - 8:30 pm tonight.

MalibuJohnny
06-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Yes I do... I have the money to support the cause, and have made my donations. I have sent my letters (as requested) to everyone listed on these posts. Just because I can't make it to "YOUR" location dose not mean I am not supporting the same thing.ffice:office" <O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

You think so small... with so little effort:(.

Remember that there are many of us doing the same thing… who in the heck do you think you are? Don’t forget the many that support this cause from other cities. Just because YOU can make it to YOUR location doesn’t mean that the others don’t want to do the same.<O:p</O:p
<O:p
I think that part of the problem is people like you are representing the people who deserve it with or without you!<O:p</O:p
Go bang your chest somewhere else! My word!:mad:<O:p

dorado50
06-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Billy is a good guy! He's just very concerned about these potential closures! By the wayTman, how much is the fine?:eek:

tylerdurden
06-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Billy V and Tman are trying to get the San Diego guys to turn out. Some of us are sick of seeing each other at this things and we need new faces to help. Flat out we need more guys. Donating money is nice, but what is really needed is your time. If you live in Malibu, go to the closest meetings to you. We need numbers at all these meetings. Tonight is especially important as it is the last one in SD and not enough guys showed up last night.

MalibuJohnny
06-30-2009, 03:14 PM
BULLY V has gone about it the wrong way! This site hammers everyone everyday on this like Chicken Little! There you go BULLY V ! Another name for you!ffice:office" <O:p</O:p
Know that all of us understand the implications of our actions. Most of the people who are organizing this seem to have everything to loose base on being a local. Get a grip! Money, letters, e-mails are all the support some can give!
Be thankful that WE are supporting this as much as we can! YOU should get back in line and face forward!:mad:<O:p

Tman
06-30-2009, 03:17 PM
I think that part of the problem is people like you are representing the people who deserve it with or without you!<O:p</O:p

Hold on, gimme a sec, I'll think of something as soon as I understand just WTF you are trying to convey...

First of all, my initial post was meant to get people thinking, meant in jest..

As far as Billy goes, he has been busting his arse on this, handing out fliers, attending meetings, etc. not only for himself, but others.

Nobody demands you to show up to save LJ, worry about your own area.
We don't expect you to make the drive, but we were stoked ('we' being the SD residents) to see guys from LA make it down.

Donations, comments are great, but to our adversary, anyone can fill out comments and sign a name to them - being present and voicing your concerns is what they will remember. Did you make the Oxnard meeting?
Just a question, that's all...

My opinion? Not that is it your biz, but I think he is doing very nicely in representing our (again, SD) interests.

Oh, and Dave?
You have a LJ coastal zip - the fine for you will be way up there...:sifone:

MalibuJohnny
06-30-2009, 03:27 PM
"We are taking names down on an attendance sheet".

"If you don't show up and participate to help keep La Jolla open, don't show up to fish there anymore".

"Earn it."

WTF is what I mean... don't represent me! This is not the way to move people! Common now!

As far as Billy goes, he has been busting his arse on this, handing out fliers, attending meetings, etc. not only for himself, but others.

Some people should just hand out fliers!

OK, I am done with this!

cabojohn
06-30-2009, 03:48 PM
First of all, my initial post was meant to get people thinking, meant in jest..

:sifone:

Bingo- I think you hit the nail on the head.

C'mon guys...we are all in this together...we all want to keep our local fishing grounds from being closed. Were on the same side here. Go easy guys. Please attend the MLPA meetings if you can.

erinoo
06-30-2009, 03:50 PM
I won't be there tonight Billy V, so take my name down..Eric Noonan..

Not because I don't want to, but impossible for me for reasons beyond my control, actually none of your business...YOU don't want these restrictions anymore more than I do. I have given what I can and will continue to do so...I'm sure you are sincere about the cause, so are alot of others..ease up a little.....

Tman
06-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Message conveyed. I will ask Billy to quit being such a bully.

I would tell him to, but, after all, he is a bully, and ya know how bullies get when you tell them to do something...kapow, knuckle sammich...

And from now on he will be relegated to being the flier hander outer.
At least I will ask that he just do that.

Again, the bully thing, you know, kapow, knuckle sammich...

Common now!

Billy V
06-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Come On Johnny, Spit the Hook. lmao

Don't get your panties in a bunch, just show up and write out your public comment like the rest of us. (sheesh) some guys just don't get it.

Your money is not going to cut it at this point. Remember this is a Public Based Process, they want Your Input, not your money.
---------------
On my way to Girls Gone Wild. :)

Gino
06-30-2009, 04:53 PM
The chicken little comment was funny!

Taking attendance!
if you dont show up to the Laguna MLPA workshop tomorrow night! you cant fish Dana or Laguna ever again either! I have a 50. cal mounted on the front of my new Proweler Big Game and I only fish the at harbor entrance!

I want to be a bully! :you_rock:

Grego
06-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Ok, it's 6:00 pm now....game time, will resume after...8:30 pm. :cheers1:

FISHIONADO
06-30-2009, 07:30 PM
It was good seeing so many kayakers at the meeting tonight.

No sign of Turko. :D

herefishyfishy!
06-30-2009, 07:45 PM
The meeting tonight was very informative and I'm glad I spent some of my time at work today filling out my two MPA comment papers.

On a side note, after spending some time talking to Billy tonight, rest assured, he isn't bullying anyone around. As soon as he starts using the "you's guys" and "badda bing badda boom" phrases, that's when you need to worry! :eek:

Evan

Holy Mackerel
06-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks for everyone who attended tonight, it was good seeing familiar faces, and meeting new kayakers to the sport!

If you are near the next roadshows, please attend, talk with RSG, DFG, inform yourself, write out which proposals you favor, **Cough** FIN A, and the ones that will devistate Kayak fishing **Cough** Lapis 1.

chris

Spyder
06-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Was cool talking to some of you guys tonight. Look forward to seeing you out on the water for a long time to come..........

DESTROYER
06-30-2009, 09:07 PM
It was cool getting to talk to Mr. Wiseman for 20 or so minutes. It felt good to vent a little even tough I know the guy is a total politician. Smile grin, smile grin! I like the part when Jim Sammons told him that it should have never come this far, this place is a circus. That got old Wiseman's goat. It was good seeing all of you. I won't be as subtle as Chris.

Yes on proposal A

No on Lapis 1

TL-Moyer

Billy V
06-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Just got home.
It was a very productive meeting. Several of us got to spend quality time speaking with RSG members who were unfamiliar with out plight.

-The outcome of that may lead to a favorable adjustment to the proposed location of the Lapis 1 MPA at La Jolla. One which Kayakers, Spearos, and Surf Fisherman can live with.

There was also a lot of discussion and information exchanged about an MPA North of Scripps Pier. Our wants and needs do not seem to conflict with the terms of a reserve in that location.
-It would not preclude us from fishing for pelagic or bait from Scripps Pier and heading North.

These RSG Members were receptive to making the aforementioned adjustment to the Lapis 1 Reserve SMR2 (La Jolla)

I will let Tyler explain more.

Thanks Tyler, Corey, Kurt, et. al. for the close support during that discussion. There was a good representation of Kayak/Spearo members.

Big Thanks to Everyone

Tman
06-30-2009, 10:09 PM
It was fun...nice to have pleasant discussions with the people who are so closely involved in the process, and for the most part I found that they were very receptive to listening to our needs and explaining their positions and the reasoning behind them.

We, as kayakers and spearos, represented ourselves as a very informed yet concerned group, and after speaking to a couple of the BRTF members, they understood our concerns and actually sought out our opinions and possible compromises for different areas...may be all for naught, but I tend to think of the glass as half full.

This was so unlike earlier meetings, where you could speak and be heard, but not get explanations or answers.

I encourage people close to the next meeting sites to attend.

Very informative, and they seem to want to hear your take on why and how closures of certain areas would affect you...

Tman
06-30-2009, 10:40 PM
It was cool getting to talk to Mr. Wiseman for 20 or so minutes. It felt good to vent a little even tough I know the guy is a total politician. Smile grin, smile grin! I like the part when Jim Sammons told him that it should have never come this far, this place is a circus. That got old Wiseman's goat. It was good seeing all of you. I won't be as subtle as Chris.

Yes on proposal A

No on Lapis 1

TL-Moyer

Matt even went the extra distance, showed up in his clean, you know I am the HEAD CHEF garb:you_rock:, ready to cook up some grub...:sifone:

MalibuJohnny
07-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Come On Johnny, Spit the Hook. lmao

Don't get your panties in a bunch, just show up and write out your public comment like the rest of us. (sheesh) some guys just don't get it.

Your money is not going to cut it at this point. Remember this is a Public Based Process, they want Your Input, not your money.
---------------
On my way to Girls Gone Wild. :)

If my money is not going to cut it...are you telling me all the other donors money won't count either! Remember BULLY that you guys asked for the money! You guys put on the events! You guys asked to write letters!

Just for the record here are the names of the people I addressed my letters to. (just a few)

Dan Pellissier, Dep. Cabinet Secretary, Office of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Members, Joint Committee on Fisheries and Aquaculture
Senator Darrell Steinberg
Senator Dennis Hollingsworth
Senator Dean Florez
Senator Denise Ducheny
Senator Bob Dutton
Assemblymember Karen Bass
Assemblymember Sam Blakeslee
Assemblymember Noreen Evans
Assemblymember Jim Neilsen
Mike Chrisman, Natural Resources Secretary
Members, Fish and Game Commission
http://zone.artizans.com/images/previews/GRA392.300.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:supersize('GRA392.pvw.jpg'))
OK now I am over this! :cool:
<!-- / message -->

Holy Mackerel
07-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Guys, please let's get past the bickering here, perhaps, words were taken out of context. I am sure if all parties involved spoke in person, there would be none of this tit for tat.

Everything helps, donating to PSO, writing letters, educating your fellow anglers, attending roadshows, and meetings. Do what you can do, it all is worthy.

Please take this kind of stuff to PM's, it is divisive, when we all need to unite, not only as kayakers, but with spearos, and PBers.

thanks,

chris

Matt
07-01-2009, 08:07 AM
Wow so I am banned?? hahahaha Rad!!! I wanna see someone tell me I can't fish LJ cuz I got stuck at work until 8pm on my birthday and couldn't attend a meeting that would be fun!:biggrinjester:

Fellas if you feel your doing your part smile and sit back and know that your doing your part! If you have to miss a meeting because you were stuck at work until 830pm or you can't because of family obligations or just obligations in general that's OK! I attended several meetings even as far as Oxnard, I have sent money, I have written letters etc... I don't think Billy or Tman or Tyler or Chris or myself et.al meant any harm or meant to intimidate you, they are just trying to raise awareness that is all. The "bully" tactics are just a way to bring attention to the issue I doubt that any one of these guys is hating on any fellow fisherman because he missed a meeting especially if it was due to family or work or just not being able to drive 3 hours.

Do what you can and it will be appreciated, if you can do more than you are currently doing...try and do it. Malibu Johnny if you feel your doing what you can, realize that the comment wasn't directed to you or anyone in particular it was more a general statement to try and motivate!! No harm was intended I am sure by any party. To everyone in general please don't stop your efforts in any form no matter how small or how big it all helps!!

Now smile, write a letter and ditch work and go get some fish!!!:sifone:

gary sullivan
07-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Matt, you always put a bad situation in it's proper perspective. Kudos to you.

tylerdurden
07-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks Matt. Well said.

What some missed in the posts is we are trying to get people to take notice and get involved. Too many fisherman are too apathetic right now when they really need to be involved. Complaining after the closures are done won't get us anywhere. We need to add our constructive comments now, especially at events like this where they specifically ask for our participation.

Happy Birthday Matt. I wouldn't want to go through that open house on my birthday either.

DESTROYER
07-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Happy Birthday Matty:cheers1:.

Your not allowed to fish LJ anymore. Work is no excuse:the_finger:.

Moy-Moy

bigderel
07-01-2009, 12:28 PM
The kayak and sprearo contigent continues to be the one of (if not THE) most well-represented faction at these meetings as far as I can tell. Threads like this are why. Billy did not look like a bully to me...but you never know. :rolleyes:

Keep it up but if the numbers that could be there were there - well, it would go ten times more in our favor. For those attending these workshops up north - they are EASY.

There will be two types of forms: one general comments form & proposal/location specific ones. Be very specific & constructive with your comments. If you must, vent a little but give everyone something to work with. Try and stay within the guidelines that they must adhere too, and voice your opinion on the areas that matter most to you.

Type this all out before you go. My hand practically seized up I'm so used to a keyboard. Staple it to the comments form and submit. If you are short on time you can be in & out in just a few minutes, but I encourage you to talk to the reps...for both sides. There is a lot of middle ground to be won.

cabojohn
07-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Laguna is TONIGHT.:)

Holy Mackerel
07-01-2009, 12:42 PM
There will be two types of forms: one general comments form & proposal/location specific ones. Be very specific & constructive with your comments. If you must, vent a little but give everyone something to work with. Try and stay within the guidelines that they must adhere too, and voice your opinion on the areas that matter most to you.

If you are short on time you can be in & out in just a few minutes, but I encourage you to talk to the reps...for both sides. There is a lot of middle ground to be won.

This is an excellent advice for the people shore on time, I am cutting and pasting it on the northern sites. I recommend talking with as many people and "pitch" kayak fishing, and its launch/safety constraints, low impact, etc, etc.... However, if you seriously only have a 5 minutes, you can just drop off a written/typed statement.

chris

Billy V
07-01-2009, 03:05 PM
The RSG Members want to speak with you.

-In most cases they are accommodating and strive to reach a middle ground that everyone can live with.
That was my experience last night after speaking with a few RSG Members.
Not everyone, but certainly a few.

Remember, these are the people that are drawing the Maps, and cast the Votes.
Its my advice to concentrate your efforts with the attending RSG Members. Especially members who represent Maps that affect your area.

Kayak Fisherman and Spearos have been recognized as a standout group of respectful and conservationist minded people. It is along these lines where we must continue.

One RSG Member at a time.

CurtyL
07-01-2009, 05:37 PM
It was cool getting to talk to Mr. Wiseman for 20 or so minutes.
TL-Moyer

I talked to the guy for a while too. Remember that Seinfeld episode about the "close talker?" That's this guy for sure. Thought he was gonna try to kiss me at one point- he was that close. Very informative, and a guy who seems like he wants to meet in the middle. By the way has anyone played up the safety issue in terms of making kayakers go further out in our skimpy cratf? I did. I also suggested there be "incentives" for more eco friendly means of fishing like us. You can only hold so many big fish on a boat with a 350lb capacity, we don't leak fuel, we don't damage kelp......

Tman
07-01-2009, 05:51 PM
By the way has anyone played up the safety issue in terms of making kayakers go further out in our skimpy cratf? I did. I also suggested there be "incentives" for more eco friendly means of fishing like us. You can only hold so many big fish on a boat with a 350lb capacity, we don't leak fuel, we don't damage kelp......

Very good point. I brought up those same issues of 0 to Low Impact that we have, and the fact the majority of us aren't out to fill our sacks, just bring home dinner, same thing the spearos do. Can only hold so many fish on a stringer, or on a kayak.

Another thing to bring up that was well received...by closing the accessible launches, it would make kayakers venture out from areas that aren't manned (no LG's). The safety factor comes into play should the weather turn nasty and one being in an area where a swift rescue is not possible, being too far from LG stations equipped to deal with rescues.

Good points you made CurtyL....:cheers1:

CurtyL
07-01-2009, 06:31 PM
I know Tman- I have never kept a single calc, bonita, large mac, cuda or sandie in 6 years (except a small few I that I damaged). I only keep the flats, tails and whites. I've never had a two fish day in my life. I also noted - and some of you guys may disagree with this - that to lump kayaks in with a party boat with 30 odd lines in the water is not in the spirit of what the MLPA's ultimate goal is. I don't want to throw our recreational boater bretheren under the bus, but the elephant is in the room.

PS I'm a Lapis 2 supporter because it gives me my Point Loma when I'm feeling like an adventure and willing to play the tides. I think the South Bay fishery is important to leave alone for a while.

nunyabizness1
07-01-2009, 11:36 PM
It was nice seeing everyone at the San Diego meeting. I asked them to incorporate items from the external map into the lapis 2 map while avoiding closure of La Jolla AND Point Loma.