PDA

View Full Version : My First La Jolla Yellow

chefchatten
07-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Well with work travel and a lack of fishing time this year...it took a year of trying but FINALLY this week I brought the right kind over the rail! A 43# trophy that I will be chasing for awhile I'm sure.

Big thanks to Josh for taking the pic's and for all your time this year helping me learn the area!!!!

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx331/chefchatten/IMG_7681.jpg

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx331/chefchatten/IMG_7683.jpg

bigbarrels
07-04-2009, 08:50 AM
congrats, that thing is a beast!:)

T Bone
07-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Brute! Was it caught on a mac?

TheHunter
07-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Nice tail! Waiting on my first too...

CurtyL
07-04-2009, 11:02 AM
I've been out every day of every weekend since ..May all for nothing except a sore butt. you're killing me! Great fish. congrats. Maybe the god of the YT will smile on me tomorrow.

AndSan
07-04-2009, 11:16 AM
that is an amazing fish! congrats

T-Rex
07-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Congrats on the sweet :yt:!!!

Billy V
07-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Congratulations on a quality Yellowtail.
-You sure set the mark high for Yellowtail #2.

467echo
07-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Nice YT! You even made him look right in the camera for the second pic!:D:cheers1::yt:

zinkysd
07-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Nice :yt: Gabe. Much bigger than the :yt: you got on the Islander 1 1/2 day. Nice up grade.

Ken

NextBite
07-04-2009, 10:08 PM
nice :yt:

cgscales
07-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Nice fish.
Why does everybody think that this Josh guy is responsible for them catching fish? You guys need to give yourselves a little more credit. You're the one who caught the fish, not Josh. People have been catching fish that big long before this Josh guy came around.

Jim Sammons LJKF
07-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Better yet, why does this guy posting a great fish have to turn into a bashing of Josh. IF JOsh gave him some good advise and he credits him for the help, what is the issue there.

Great Fish by the way. Catching one that size as your first kind of ruins you though. That one will be hard to beat.
I had a client, fifteen minutes into the first time fishing on a kayak caught a Striped Malin, where do you go from there. He probably never got on a kayak again, just no way to top that fish.

fishchaser25
07-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Better yet, why does this guy posting a great fish have to turn into a bashing of Josh. IF JOsh gave him some good advise and he credits him for the help, what is the issue there.

Great Fish by the way. Catching one that size as your first kind of ruins you though. That one will be hard to beat.
I had a client, fifteen minutes into the first time fishing on a kayak caught a Striped Malin, where do you go from there. He probably never got on a kayak again, just no way to top that fish.

well said jim
josh is a stand up guy that is willing to help any1 willing to listen. :you_rock::cheers1:
Congrats on that SLUG yellow. you set the bar high for sure.

twitchy
07-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Holly Crap Batman, that is huge.... I would take Nacho Libre's advice if it got me a yellow like that. :biggrinjester:

dorado50
07-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Nice fish.
Why does everybody think that this Josh guy is responsible for them catching fish? You guys need to give yourselves a little more credit. You're the one who caught the fish, not Josh. People have been catching fish that big long before this Josh guy came around.

Obviously you don't know this "Josh guy"... Nice fish Gabe!!

Caballito
07-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Woah dude, woah. If you met him you wouldn't be saying that. He is always there to help and has helped me and others who have asked. He's a good guy to have around.

fishchaser25
07-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Nice fish.

WOW dude you really know hwo to make a first post dont you. now that you marked yourself as a TARD. good luck getting any one to shoot info your way. :banghead:

punchjamesarnol
07-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Nice fish! :reeling: How long did you fight it? how far did it pull you around?

XMAN
07-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Hey, nice :yt:, what bait did you use and how long did you fight for it.

T12
07-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Nice fish ,what a toad!:cheers1:

T12
07-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Congrats !

dsafety
07-05-2009, 07:23 PM
At the risk of being accused of piling on, I need to post my take on the latest "Josh Controversy". My guess is that most people who consider Josh to be anything less than a huge asset to this community either do not know the man or are simply jealous.

Fact: Josh is a tremendously skilled fisher.

Fact: Josh makes his living by teaching others how to become more successful fishers

Fact: When you are very good at what you do, you will generate a lot of well deserved attention, as Josh has.

These are facts, not opinions. If anyone has a problem with this, they need to chill out and get over it.

Bob

h2ofishfo
07-05-2009, 11:12 PM
dammmmmit slug yt congrats been poundin the water hard for nuttn 2 show but slim twigs but i feel the mojo rubbn off as we speak

DOGHOUSE26
07-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Alot of guys would spend $2000 plus for 5 days on a LR Boat just for a chance at something like that.

Congratulations Nice Fish!

chefchatten
07-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Nice fish! :reeling: How long did you fight it? how far did it pull you around?

Thanks everyone for your comments...the kayak comunity is 1/2 the reason I love this sport so much!!!:reel:

It was a good 40min fight as I had very light floro on. And for a big guy like myself I def enjoyed a nice ride around. When the fish took it's third run I honestly got a little disappointed as I was sure I had a small T or ray on. But that disappointment quickly turned to a shit eating grin when I looked over the rail to see that beautiful yellow color!!
It was on a green back down low but I have been seeing some good surface action in the morning.

Good luck out there!!

comrad_zeelaagee
07-06-2009, 09:29 AM
nice toad dude!

Gino
07-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Nice fish!

Always a bigger fish somewhere, Skys the limit! And if all else im sure thieres a Japanese Submarine out there your iron could stag onto!

1Flatfish
07-06-2009, 12:18 PM
[QUOTE=When the fish took it's third run I honestly got a little disappointed as I was sure I had a small T or ray on. [/QUOTE]

Sounds like you had a brief San Clemente T flashback there. Nice going on a beautiful fish.

Wayne

THE DARKHORSE
07-06-2009, 01:47 PM
"Big thanks to Josh for taking the pic's and for all your time this year helping me learn the area!!!!"

The truth is Gabe earned that fish: Payed some dues getting skunked, then more dues $$$ :), tied his own knots, made his own bait, hooked, fought, and landed that fish all on his own...a freakin' monster! All I did was tell him the night prior on the phone he was probably going to catch his personal best Yellowtail, then put him in the right place at the right time. My job's easy, he had to reel that damn thing in :D.

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx331/chefchatten/IMG_7681.jpg
If you've never met Gabe, he's huge (think Pat size), and I had fears of this amazing fish looking small on his lap...nope, a monster is a monster.
That's a trophy, bro!

buttchaser
07-06-2009, 02:13 PM
:reel: Nice job , :yt:

bellcon
07-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Excellent job Gabe,:cheers1:

All I did was tell him the night prior on the phone he was probably going to catch his personal best Yellowtail

Catch of a lifetime (but dont give up trying to best it)
&
Phone call of a lifetime

Congrats Gabe and way to go Josh on doing what you do so well:cheers1:

Pescavore1
07-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Congratulations, Gabe. The photos do not do justice to that fish or your accomplishment. I wish I was there to see the action and the fish in person. :party:

Maybe Josh will give me a prediction one of of these days about MY personal best yellowtail so I can experience something like this in person

Jay

yakrider
07-06-2009, 05:09 PM
DUDE!!!! MEGA congrats on that beauty!!!
you are my new hero...:you_rock:
and just think...you didn't have to spend tons of money on a friggin' mothership trip...unreal!!!!

and as for the Josh comments...if you don't know him...
you don't know him! and if you knew him...you'd know...

frugalfisher
07-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Congratulations on finding and catching the fish!!

T12
07-07-2009, 03:38 PM
A lot of guys out there would not share info like Josh has!!

pchen911
07-07-2009, 05:45 PM
A lot of guys out there would not share info like Josh has!!

Very true. And its very much appreciated.

punchjamesarnol
07-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments...the kayak comunity is 1/2 the reason I love this sport so much!!!:reel:

It was a good 40min fight as I had very light floro on. And for a big guy like myself I def enjoyed a nice ride around. When the fish took it's third run I honestly got a little disappointed as I was sure I had a small T or ray on. But that disappointment quickly turned to a shit eating grin when I looked over the rail to see that beautiful yellow color!!
It was on a green back down low but I have been seeing some good surface action in the morning.

Good luck out there!!

THANKS! Now all I need is your luck! I'll be out there tomorrow.

Hobie-Pedaller
07-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Holly Crap Batman....

yep, very nice fish indeed !!!

joyjiggin'
07-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Wow...40 minutes??? Yeehaw! I can't even imagine that. Congrats!! :luxhello::cheers1:

chefchatten
12-03-2009, 08:26 AM
since we are re living old catches

'Cuda
12-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Another 43lb mossback....you and "buttchaser" might want to buy some lotto tickets while your hot.....congratulations.
Might be crowded out there this weekend.

aclozer
12-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Great job. Josh is the man!