PDA

View Full Version : My day off work...

THE DARKHORSE
07-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Short version: Windy from the get-go with occasional strong gusts out of the South, signifigant surface texture that got worse as the morning progressed, rolled over conditions, cold/green water (low sixties) and no fish caught from what I heard.

Long version: Quit deciding when to fish based on local reports and reading all the boards while at work. The conditons might not be perfect, the water temp dropped again, it's been windy for months, but I can guarantee you'll never catch a fish from your computer. I've compromised with the local PB'r mafia by only posting once a month, and I haven't seen too many reports otherwise. Let's just say nothings changed, the same guys who catch fish are catching fish.

In an effort to improve the flavor of your fresh brewed coffee... I've included a true story about my life to distract you from asking me questions about rigging, location, and specifics on how I caught this fish :dontknow:.

Even though it's been years since I was wrapped up in the mortgage boom, I remember working fifteen hour days and praying for the weekend quite well. Looking married couples in the eye and saying "we specialize in pre-payment penalties" (i.e. we simply roll it back into your new loan :doh:) was the toughest part of my job. The message of "if I didn't do it someone else would" was quite clear from my boss, sadly that made sense at the time. I would just count down the days, buying new gear on my lunch hour, sharpening hooks and getting ready for the weekend. Even in my monetary prime all I could think about was getting on that overnight boat and waking up to the sound of turbo-diesels, that high pitched wheez always calmed my nerves. I remember having thoughts that I would rather be a deckhand looking for kelps than continue picking up big checks, fortunetely for me the bubble popped before my job killed me.

Even though I've taken a drastic pay cut over the years, I'm proud of my work and I couldn't be happier. The good news is I still look forward to my days off, buy gear for fun and enjoy sharpening hooks before a trip. Only now I don't have to worry about if the overnight captain finds the fish or getting sawed off by some dude who can't follow his fish.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/IMG00061_1_00.jpg

All Yellowtail are strong, but some of them just flat out kick your ass.

AndSan
07-07-2009, 09:05 PM
dude! nice catch.... along with your 4 billion other trophies haha. awesome job

Smokey
07-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Beautiful fish, :you_rock: looking forward to getting back on the water.

Tman
07-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Love the use of paragraphs...much easier to read your reports now and understand what you are saying...

Just joshin' with ya, nice catch...as usual...looks like it laid down nicely...

bigbarrels
07-07-2009, 10:54 PM
nice one Josh.....went out this evening for a nice paddle while burning a sick day...beat work for sure...water was 63 on FF and green

Pescado
07-08-2009, 05:01 AM
Congrats Josh:cheers1: as it's good karma. Thank you again for the ride home from the MLPA meeting the other week.

j mo
07-08-2009, 05:29 AM
hey thats my fish.....????

What'd you catch her on:biggrinjester:

Dennis
07-08-2009, 06:15 AM
INSANE! Nice work Josh!

Matt
07-08-2009, 06:28 AM
Nice one bro!! And the pb'er mafia??....isn't it nice to know that if you surfed the cliffs not only do you own Newbs but also all of LJ:D:D:D:D

WahooUSMA
07-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Damn bro, nice fish....One of these day's I am going to cash in on my second day of fishing with you....but first, I need to buy another kayak!

Short version: Windy from the get-go with occasional strong gusts out of the South, signifigant surface texture that got worse as the morning progressed, rolled over conditions, cold/green water (low sixties) and no fish caught from what I heard.

Long version: Quit deciding when to fish based on local reports and reading all the boards while at work. The conditons might not be perfect, the water temp dropped again, it's been windy for months, but I can guarantee you'll never catch a fish from your computer. I've compromised with the local PB'r mafia by only posting once a month, and I haven't seen too many reports otherwise. Let's just say nothings changed, the same guys who catch fish are catching fish.

In an effort to improve the flavor of your fresh brewed coffee... I've included a true story about my life to distract you from asking me questions about rigging, location, and specifics on how I caught this fish :dontknow:.

Even though it's been years since I was wrapped up in the mortgage boom, I remember working fifteen hour days and praying for the weekend quite well. Looking married couples in the eye and saying "we specialize in pre-payment penalties" (i.e. we simply roll it back into your new loan :doh:) was the toughest part of my job. The message of "if I didn't do it someone else would" was quite clear from my boss, sadly that made sense at the time. I would just count down the days, buying new gear on my lunch hour, sharpening hooks and getting ready for the weekend. Even in my monetary prime all I could think about was getting on that overnight boat and waking up to the sound of turbo-diesels, that high pitched wheez always calmed my nerves. I remember having thoughts that I would rather be a deckhand looking for kelps than continue picking up big checks, fortunetely for me the bubble popped before my job killed me.

Even though I've taken a drastic pay cut over the years, I'm proud of my work and I couldn't be happier. The good news is I still look forward to my days off, buy gear for fun and enjoy sharpening hooks before a trip. Only now I don't have to worry about if the overnight captain finds the fish or getting sawed off by some dude who can't follow his fish.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/IMG00061_1_00.jpg

All Yellowtail are strong, but some of them just flat out kick your ass.

ratdog
07-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Does that mean we have to wait another month before you'll post again:(
Very nice YT Josh.

driftwood
07-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Yes you did take a drastic pay cut Josh. But you gotta love your new every day La Jolla oceanfront office window!!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2409/2253156380_3fde6a769a.jpg

blitzburgh
07-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Wowww! :drool5:

Adam12
07-08-2009, 05:14 PM
:notworthy:

fishpatrol
07-08-2009, 05:22 PM
nice fish

fishinkid2010
07-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Beautiful yellow :yt:!... it sure has a big tail. I bet it fought hard

dorado50
07-08-2009, 06:34 PM
A difficult time in which to catch a yt indeed! (bad water,bad tides, bad current, bad moon,etc..) Thats what amazes me!!!

bellcon
07-10-2009, 08:47 PM
I could say fish of a lifetime...
rrrrright, (maybe for most guys)

I could say something about the jealous tools that always seem to chime in when you post a bitchen fish (but wait it hasn't happened on this post)

So after so many incredible fish
under so many different conditions
what the heck is there left to say?

Congrats?
Way to Go?
Keep up the good work?
You should start a guide service?
Thanks for sharing?

Wait
I got it!
I know how much taking a good photo means to you Josh
so here's my comment:

Thats about the best damn on the water shot of a Yellowtail I have ever seen!!!

The colors, no bend to the fish, the fish eye, no clutter, you almost look like you arn't even straining:cool:, almost can't see the clip, fish looks like it's floating in mid air....(I won't deduct points for being able to see the 4 fingers on your left hand, but don't let it happen again)

You know on second thought...
that fish almost looks too alive...
Makes me wonder if he might be a pet of yours,
Like you just whistle and it comes and jumps up in your arms...
Almost looks like he is saying:

"I hate when Josh does this to me, but it sure beats a sharp hook anyday, can I have my treat now Josh?"

Here's to you Josh The Fish Whisperer:cheers1:
and another for your well behaved little yellow friend:cheers1:

punchjamesarnol
07-11-2009, 12:47 PM
You're my HERO :luxhello:. I wish I could get out there more often. NICE catch!

yakrider
07-13-2009, 07:52 PM
OK...
that's a good one...
WORK SUCKS!!!!!
I gotta get down there!!!!

joyjiggin'
07-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Yiks!!! After reading your post I couldn't wait to see the photo. Monster, man! (awesome, dramatic photo, too!!)

beardedguy
07-15-2009, 03:13 AM
Josh,
If you wouldn't mind, Would you please show a pic of
how you secure you fish to the yak for the peddle in.

THE DARKHORSE
07-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Josh,
If you wouldn't mind, Would you please show a pic of
how you secure you fish to the yak for the peddle in.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/DSC02248_1_.JPG

It's easy...
<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by da22y http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?p=35950#post35950)
Looked like you tie a rope at the tail of the fish ? How to secured it ? I am interested to learn your way.

When The Darkhorse teach, we listen....

:you_rock:
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Step one: Turn around in your seat facing the bait-tank holding fish on game clip.

Step two: Pull fish straight across the back hatch so the belly is in the center with the head and tail off to either side.

Step three: Pull game clip straight between the Hobie rod holders and Hobie tank until you wedge the head of the fish...make sure to secure the game clip at all times.

Step four: Center the fifty pound plus fish and secure it with the Hobie bungee that's used to secure the rudder during transport. I simply use my gaff to put the Hobie bungee around the tail and slip it over the clip, easy :).
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/images/trophies/wcw-2007-1.gif
<!-- / sig -->

-scallywag-
07-15-2009, 04:21 PM
now all we need is the step by step "it's easy" procedure manual on how to get one of those donkeys to bite the hook!!!:D
On a more serious note, is that tail over 50lbs ?? some guys here at the shop have a bet going......

beardedguy
07-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Thank you so much for the reply. I don't get out to LJ as much as I would
like, so I haven't got that big one yet. I really didn't know what to do if
the circumstance should arrive.