PDA

View Full Version : a little taste of Texas...

TXyakker
07-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Havent posted here in a while due to no longer being located in Socal. Gosh do i miss that place..........the cool temps mostly, and of course the :yt:. Apparently, i moved back to Texas just before the hottest summer they've had on record in a while, great. Anyway, i finally made a trip down to the coast this past monday. I'd read reports about this place in Aransas Pass called the Light House lakes. Clear shallow flats with redfish tails a'plenty, just my kinda place :D. The wind was a howlin that day, a steady 15ish all day with a few kicks higher now and then. I'll attach a link to my post b/c i dont really feel like writing the whole thing over, but here ya go.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=124614

Enjoy

driftwood
07-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Thats what im talking about right there! Fly fishing on a kayak. Bring that set up here on the next la jolla squid run whenever that might be. Do You still have connection with your guide here? :call2: Can you reel in a 50lb Y.T. with that rod?

JoeBeck
07-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the post here in socal. I'm going to Texas to fish for reds the end of Oct. Those fish look like a blast on the fly rod, what weight is the fly rod you were using? 5/6 weight?

TXyakker
07-08-2009, 06:26 PM
That was always something i wanted to do, was hook into a yellow on the fly. The one i was using for reds would be no match though. It was an 8wt. Joe, I've heard of guys going as light as a 6wt for reds, but thats ultra light right there. A 7wt is about as light as i'd go, and an 8 is a good all around rod for the reds here.

As far as chasing yellows, i've got a 10wt that would be a blast on a yellow in open water when they're boiling. Trying that around the kelp would be game over, but give me some open water where that puppy has room to run and i'd be all about it. I'd say i still have connections, not sure if he's read this or not yet though :D

THE DARKHORSE
07-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Not to mention one hundred degrees in the shade :doh:. Been there done that, but an October day after a cold front in the heat of the Flounder run, with specks and reds mixed in...Heaven on earth.

Casey, let's put spectra on a ten weight and I'll put you on the biggest Speckled Trout you've ever seen. If you land it I'll give you half price :D.

TXyakker
07-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Whoa nelly, that would be one heck of a fish on the 10 wt, i'm not even sure THAT rod would have the backbone to horse one of those monsters out of there. Might have to step up to a 12 or maybe a 14wt, haha. Luckily, that trip had ZERO skeeters, it was indeed hot and humid, and the wind was just gettin with it, (maybe that helped the skeeters), but the fish were still hungry so all was good. I still gotta stop by the restaurant, maybe next time when i have more free time.

h2ofishfo
07-10-2009, 05:05 PM
sweet report but i suggest u put up the avatar of the yt givem something to drool over