PDA

View Full Version : Old Man And The Sea?

TCS
07-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Okay, the old man in Hemmingway's book didn't catch a Thresher Shark, but like him, I had to drag my fish back home strapped to the boat because I couldn't get it inside.

So here's the scoop, I've been lurking for a couple of months, you may have seen me in the water: Not quite the right boat, almost the right gear, asking a lot of questions. My name is Tom and I do appreciate all the insight that's been shared on the site and on the water.

I've been out there quite a bit lately and have gotten pretty good at feeding the sea lions, but a big keeper has eluded me till now.

I paddled out today at about 5:00 am to the kelp beds, not alot going on, but I did hook up a Thresher that bit off the hook. At about 9:00 I decide to cruise over to the pier for one last go-round before heading in, did manage to get one little greenback that I put on a carolina rig.

About 15 minutes later the reel starts to scream and I'm thinking 'YELLOWTAIL - COUNT TO 10 SLOWLY!' So I count to 15 to be sure and engage the reel. So begins the fun part: sleigh ride, slug out off the bottom, repeat for about 45 minutes, or at least it seemed that long.

What a rush!

Eventually I see my swivel and peek over the side to see what looks to be an enormous Thresher, of course they look bigger in the water, but it turned out to be respectable anyway. 'Okay take a deep breathe, do you really want to try and land this thing?' YES ( took about 15 minutes of soul searching to commit though)

So I manage to get a sling around the tail and secure that, but because of how I've rigged the boat, just can't get the head secured or get to the gills to cut them. Every time I try she just goes ballistic and the boat gets all tippy canoe. So, hmm, maybe I'll just drag her south for now and see what I can figure out. Tough paddle dragging that fish. By the time I get to the boat launch I have pretty much secured her, but I'm worried about the surf. I run into Bill coming into the launch and he gaffs her head so that I can cut the gills and get one more rope on.

I actually decided to get out of the boat and walk it through the surf to avoid additional complications. (snapping jaws, japanese tourists...)

I don't know how much she weighed. My daughter weighs 70 lbs and the shark seemed like she was in that range. Got a lot of of good steaks and had a group of friends over to celebrate. And eat.

This whole experience was a huge adrenelin rush. Think back to the first big fish you landed in a kayak. How about your first T-shark?

The character in Old Man and the Sea is heroic and tragic. My little story is pretty routine in comparison, but it sure seemed big to me when it was happening.

Now I want a yellowtail.

Thanks again, especially to Bill.

Quilted Germ
07-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Nice job....thing looks tasty!

TCS
07-16-2009, 10:28 AM
With all the vitriol, rage and judgemental attitudes on the threads these days, I was wondering if anyone would have anything good to say. I was a little shocked by the response to Josh's post.

THE DARKHORSE
07-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Don't sweat the small stuff, nice fish! Anyone with the ability to read can see, haters are haters. The good news is only haters care about what haters say, I hear it's a tight community :).

As for the sensitive subject of harvesting a Thresher: Not only are you well within the law and provided a nice meal for friends and family, sounds like you had a memorable experience...the first of many to come. Above all thanks for sharing the stoke, you could feel the genuine excitement in your post. It made me want to go fishing even though I do everything I can to avoid Threshers, thanks for that.

-scallywag-
07-16-2009, 11:07 AM
BABY KILLER!!!!!

hahahahah, there...are you happy??:biggrinjester: no???

ok here's some more salt...that thing looks to be barely 40!!!!:D

also very delicious!!! Nice one!!!!

driftwood
07-16-2009, 11:27 AM
T's were everywere like annoying gnats. spotted at least 10 of them last friday. I don't like the taste nor the the wear and tear they put on your reel. Looks like you had BLAST with the hook up... good read!:luxhello:
From hook up to plate up!!

NextBite
07-16-2009, 12:13 PM
nice T-SHARK!

Willy
07-16-2009, 02:44 PM
It was my pleasure to help.

A passing stranger named Ryan helped me out with a big T a few months ago, and it felt great to keep the karma moving.

I know you've put some hours on the water this year, and it's paying off now!

Glad you made it into the beach without problem.

Well done Tom, looks like some good steaks!

Willy

punchjamesarnol
07-16-2009, 05:26 PM
SWEET CATCH! So the threshers are out there in abundance now..... Suppose I were to hook up one, what would my first step be? Can some one break it down to me step by step what to do please? Any advise would help.

ratdog
07-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Make sure he's big enough to keep #1.

Make sure its very tired
with gloves on, grab the tail and pull him up and don't let go.
Get a line around his tail
As soon as you feel confident, start bleeding him.
Do all this with a friend that can help you.

punchjamesarnol
07-16-2009, 09:41 PM
How big is big enough to keep? Is the a size requirement. I'm not trying to have DFG on my arse.

JoeBeck
07-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Sharks (State-managed)
Open all year, except that white sharks (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/whiteshark.asp) (Carcharodon carcharias) may not be taken or possessed at any time. The bag limits for sixgill shark (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/fir/rovideo.asp) (Hexanchus griseus) and sevengill shark (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/status/cow_sharks.pdf) (Notorynchus cepedianus) allow take of one fish per day with no size limit. The bag limits for shortfin mako shark (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mspcont5.asp#bonito) (Isurus oxyrinchus), thresher shark (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mspcont5.asp#thresher) (Alopias vulpinus), and blue shark (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mspcont5.asp#blue) (Prionace glauca) allow take of two fish per day with no size limit.

Willy
07-17-2009, 08:05 AM
If there is any question in your mind, it's not big enough.

The official regulation is two per day, no size limit.
That having been said, if your gut tells you this fish is too small, cut it off.
You can see pictures on this site of good sized Threshers, including the one in this post, that is a good reference.

Ratdog is completely right.

Make sure it's really tired. Threshers die hard. You will think they are fully dead and suddenly they will muster a burst of strength that will flip your boat if you're not careful.

Contain the tail first, tie a loop knot or slip knot, and throw it over the tail, pull it tight to your boat, then deal with the pointy end. A gaff shot in the head will piss it off, but makes a couple of slices to the gills a bit easier, but when that gaff digs in, hold on tight!

If you pull a Thresher backwards, they will eventually drown, but you still need to bleed it, both for meat quality and to ensure it's really dead. I've heard of threshers that have been on the deck of a boat for hours and when someone walked by and nudged it, the shark whipped around and snapped off the end of their shoe.

These things aren't like yellowtail. They grow pretty slow, and shouldn't be kept in large numbers. Sustainability is key here.

Ok, I'm stepping off the soap box.
Willy

Spyder
07-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Congrats on a nice fish and meals for your family.

Thank you Willy for your insight. I am wanting to try and catch one myself and your post gives me some great info to think about.

punchjamesarnol
07-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanx for all of the knowledge you are passing on. This site rocks! :you_rock: