PDA

View Full Version : Super Rad!

bender0240
07-30-2009, 12:23 PM
What's up guys. New to the forum!
Just a little tale for all you fellow inexperienced LJ fisherman. I was out yesterday afternoon. Tons of excitement going on. Birds diving, big boils, bait screaming for their lives everywhere. I personally didn't have much luck. But I got an enormous greenback on a 5" swimbait on my bass rig. It fought like a f'n freight train. Still had a blast though.

Anyway on my way back a dude in a new kayak waved me down.
"Do you have a gaff?!" he yelled.
"I don't!" I shouted as I started charging over to him.
I saw a bunch of splashing around him and thought maybe a thresher. As I got close I instantly realized he had a nice :yt:!
"What do I do?!" he said.
"Sh*t I don't know!" was the best I could come up with. I thought of the video of Darkhorse Cn'Ring a yellow.
"Maybe grab it under the gills and slide it into your lap"
So he handed me his rod and gave it a shot.(finally I had a yellow at the other end the rod I was holding!:D)
So he grabbed it and slid it in his lap like he'd done it a thousand times!
:luxhello::luxhello::luxhello:
Here's how he did it:
-He had one rod. An older, two piece, medium action spinning reel.
-15-20lb mono
-He caught the bait(greenback) on a small Krocodile (Don't think he'd even heard of a Sabiki yet)
-Cut off the Kroc, tied on a hook and started towing the little guy around with him
-Was on the phone and had some CCR blastin on the radio when he heard some splashing behind him
-By the time he got a hold of the rod his tiny reel was almost spooled! Got it just in time and the fight began! The rest is history.
Nice F'n Job Jerry!:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Some spearos confirmed it was in the 20lb range

dorado50
07-30-2009, 12:38 PM
That is a rad story!! I can't believe that fish did not get away! I'm sure that guy was glad you were around. :you_rock:

Billy V
07-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Its exciting catching Big Fish in La Jolla isn't it ? :):luxhello:

If you guys want to continue that fantastic sport from a Kayak you better attend the MLPA Meeting on August 3rd. in Carlsbad, or else get used to fishing Mission Bay Park.

PS.
Always take a gaff and game clip. You can buy both in the Online Store listed above in the purple headliner.
Here-> http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/servlet/StoreFront

nabeeko
07-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Great story! Next time it'll be you!

bender0240
07-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Its exciting catching Big Fish in La Jolla isn't it ? :):luxhello:

If you guys want to continue that fantastic sport from a Kayak you better attend the MLPA Meeting on August 3rd. in Carlsbad, or else get used to fishing Mission Bay Park.

PS.
Always take a gaff and game clip. You can buy both in the Online Store listed above in the purple headliner.
Here-> http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/servlet/StoreFront
Yup. I went to the one on Mission Bay a month or so ago, right after my first time out to LJ on a kayak. I'll be at C-Bad. I'm a pretty liberal guy myself, but that crazy sh*t just can't stand!! Ever since I was like 11 i've wanted to go out fishing La Jolla but never had a boat. Now that I can they're trying to take it from me!! F*ck!!!

pchen911
07-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Great story, thanks for sharing.

Was out yesterday PM also, might have saw you guys. Tons of very large greenbacks, but not much else for me.

Vikingj
07-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Nice story- thanks for report. Way to jump in and help out!

Matt
07-31-2009, 06:08 AM
I learned a similar lesson in the bay once......however it was a halibut....not gonna grab that one by the gills!!! Be thankful always for the kindness of strangers, mine came in the form of a PBer who was stoked to help...Lesson learned that day was always, always carry a gaff and a game clip, even when you fish for spotties you can come up on a 19lb halibut!!

Thanks for sharing the story, and congrats to the two of you!!!

Geoffkoop
07-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Damn, sounds exciting. Great work!

ccoral
07-31-2009, 03:45 PM
always great to be lucky then good

FISHIONADO
07-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Cool story, thanks for sharing. I caught my first yellowtail (19lbs) on my third trip on a kayak. From the internet I had taught myself how to catch bait and keep it alive in a bait tube and what tackle to use and the right knots to use and and how to present the bait and how to let the fish run long enough to mouth and then swallow the bait and how to use the drag to tire out the fish. When I finally got the yellowtail next to my kayak I had no idea what to do. I didn't know if it had spines or sharp gills or where to hold it. Ken (Katchfish) saw me and paddled over and offered to help, he told me how to gaff it and then handle it. A random act of kindness was huge for me. I've caught a few fish since then, and handed off a few beers to Ken on the water. I'll always remember my first.

bumblebeetuna
08-01-2009, 05:35 AM
ahahah awesome! I forgot my gaff last time I went out, and got asked by a fellow yakker if I had an extra one. We were both outta luck made for a nice productive CnR trip, nothin' wrong with that!

Cant wait to get out!

Toad Patrol
08-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Great story Bender. Every good catch should have a tale to go with it. I like how he has a cell phone and a radio but no gaff, did he bring his bong with him too? Oh well, you gotta go through it to get to it. Some guys get every damn acessory and don't catch squat, some get a trophy on a bent safety pin and a worm. I love how fishing works like that.
I have a gaff made from a rebent and sharpened paint roller handle and an old ball peen hammer found in my dads tool box. No divers game clip? an old trout $.79 stringer will hold a big fish, especially if it's dead. If your gonna keep em you might as well kill as soon as possible, having a knife to cut their throat and bleed them, or something to bonk em on the head is not a bad accessory to carry with you. Along with some blasting Creedence...
Keep on choogling....
-Scott

yakrider
08-03-2009, 07:17 AM
what a great story...
got my adrenaline flowing big time...
glad to hear he landed that bab boy!!
nice job...:luxhello::cheers1:

Joe11
08-04-2009, 03:04 PM
So much for the time on the water theory. Better lucky than good any day.