PDA

View Full Version : LJ 8/10 AM

Whizz Bang
08-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Launched to ankle slappers at 6am, there were a handful of yaks out off the kelp. Metered a good amount of bait, it seemed to all be hanging low in the column. Caught some Spanish and fly lined one little feller. For a little while all was quiet. Around 7:55 am one of the cattle boats decides to buzz us on its way to fish the extreme inside, it almost looked like it was going to tie off to the buoy it was that close. As it begins to pass, my clicker starts to run. As I dive for it, it begins to scream. I set the hook, and begin to experience what a Yellowtail can do. As the yellow dives, the wake from the cattle boat hits me, not funny. I look up and see that the boat was also sporting a pack of sea lions and I have not one or two, but FOUR headed right at me, and I’m hooked up. I am screwed. They zero in on me and two of them dive. Damn. I am going to lose this fish before I can get color on it. I figure that he has a better chance of dodging ‘em without fighting me so I roll the dice and back way off the drag, line again begins screaming out. One of the lions does a slow roll a few feet below me and sinks from view. Now, it has to be now. I tighten the drag back down and begin to reel as fast as I can. The fish cooperates, and after an eternity, I get color. It is a yellow and it is beautiful. The sea lion behind me splashes the surface and dives. Shit. Somehow I grabbed my gaff while I kept reeling. The lion is closing in as I struggle to get the yellow to line up for the gaff shot. I am going to lose this fish. Right here, with the end in sight I am going to lose it. The yellow lays out and I hit home. I rip the fish out of the water just as the lion passes within gaffing distance. Im probably lucky he didn’t follow the fish into the yak. Instead he just hung out right underneath my yak smelling the blood, and giving me the stink eye. After a few minutes go by, the lions leave. I am getting ready to head in myself as Dave hooks up. I had met Dave at the launch. Come to find out, this is his first on the yak (I on the other hand was landing my second, I’m an old pro). Snapped some great pics as Dave fought and landed his fish. Both fish in about 85 feet of water. Both fish fly lined on Spanish a couple hundred yards off the kelp. Back at the launch by 9:00 am.
Stop reading this right now, tell the boss you aren’t feeling well, and come on out here, it is time!

Dave, PM me your email address, I lost your info.

JoeBeck
08-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Looks like a great day on the water today! way to get yourself your 2nd YT and thanks for sharing :reel:.

bigbarrels
08-10-2009, 12:35 PM
nice one! Congrats:)

NextBite
08-10-2009, 01:13 PM
nice jobs guys!

Matt
08-10-2009, 01:36 PM
You ol' pro you!!! :sifone: Way to fend of the dogs of war!!!:cheers1:

THE DARKHORSE
08-10-2009, 10:16 PM
There's no Yellowtail in La Jolla :D.

dadandsonkayak
08-10-2009, 10:45 PM
i knew every one of you have been hiding it.. u all have your dirty little secrets:sifone: so noobs like us wont catch on:confused::yt::confused:... o well im fine with that.. i understand rule number 1.. if the fishing is good keep to yourself:reel::reel::reel:

Billy V
08-11-2009, 12:17 AM
" I set the hook, and begin to experience what a Yellowtail can do."

I hope you get the chance to hook into one of the Winter Home Guard Yellows. I'm sure you will re-write that statement.:)

Practice makes perfect, so get back out and repeat.

Whizz Bang
08-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Billy,

You are absolutely right, without ever having hooked one I know that they are in a completely different class. And the thread I will post (if I have the opportunity to hook into one and actually land it) will do it justice, I promise.

Josh,

Sorry. These little guys were photoshopped in, there are NO Yellowtail in LJ....I was just kidding. I joke.

Drake
10-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Ahh, October Yellow Tail! :luxhello::luxhello:

oneyedeer
10-12-2012, 12:27 PM
wow one of the best write ups! got my heart pumping

Deamon
10-12-2012, 12:46 PM
8-10-12? But a great write up regardless!

Aaron&Julie
10-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Nice report, thanks.

TJones
10-12-2012, 03:21 PM
any tail, is better than no tail. congrats . thanks for report.

Dirty Curti
10-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Very nice! Good to hear a fish report. With all of the buggin':lobster: going on right now nobody is talking much fishing.:reeling:

I was out a couple of weeks ago and the bouys were everywhere. Slalom style.

Is it still thick out there with the bouys?

yani
10-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Whizz Bang,

It's time to eat yellowtail. How about some food pics??

Iceman
10-12-2012, 07:57 PM
It's time to eat yellowtail. How about some food pics??

3 year old yellowtail taste like %^&*! :D

mtnbykr2
10-12-2012, 08:08 PM
3 year old yellowtail taste like %^&*! :D

:D...:eek:.....:cheers1:

Cbad Mike
10-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Nice write up. Thanks for the report and congratulations.
:cheers1:

lowprofile
10-12-2012, 11:26 PM
There's no Yellowtail in La Jolla :D.

at least someone is willing to tell the truth!

bigbarrels
10-13-2012, 10:06 AM
ah, the good old days.....when writing a report was cool :vroam:

bus kid
10-13-2012, 12:12 PM
epic thanks for the info, I knew that new Iphone app was great!