PDA

View Full Version : Kelp Cutter Rig

Geoffkoop
08-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Do you guys use mono backing for your kelp cutter rigs? So it's not $$$ to fill the spool. If so, how much spectra for the top gets the job done?

Matt
08-21-2009, 07:15 PM
yes some people do, I think in general 200 yds of spectra is way more than enough.....unless you hook a monster thresher!

Billy V
08-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Do you guys use mono backing for your kelp cutter rigs? So it's not $$$ to fill the spool. If so, how much spectra for the top gets the job done?

I have a reel spooled with just spectra for fishing the kelp, or just outside of the kelp. I do this because I will cut off a small section of the spectra after fishing due to the abrasion of the sliding sinker.

Its not really that expensive, 500 yards of 65 lb. Power Pro costs $43.99
and it can be easily fished for a couple of seasons.
Link to Spectra Price--> http://www.alltackle.com/power_pro.htm

The only time it needs to be replaced is if it was mildew, or if there was abrasion on a section which could be easily removed.
------------------------------------
Mono line as a backer to spectra is not the best way to go. The spectra will bury itself into the mono if hooked to a big fish.

You could spool mono as a backer, then wrap duct tape over the mono and then spool on the spectra. It has been said to work, but I don't recommend it.

-Spend the $44 bucks once and do it right. If you need (that reel) for another type of fishing later during the year, remove the spectra to a standby reel until the White Sea Bass return.:)

2 cents