PDA

View Full Version : First real post!

WahooUSMA
08-30-2009, 07:36 AM
I have been waiting a long time to post to Big Waters Edge with something other than fishing equipment or a kayak for sale. Two weeks ago I thought I might actually get the chance after hooking up with a nice fat YT in La Jolla. After a somewhat lengthy battle in the rain and rough seas, I lost the beast right at the moment my buddy was going to gaff him. Such a disappointment.

Well, yesterday I met up with a friend of mine in the OC who persuaded me we should try fishing for Threshers. I have never fished for Threshers before and to be honest, I was somewhat apprehensive about the whole shark fishing thing. After all, I had seen pictures of the Thresher’s he had caught previously, and that’s a whole lot of fish to put on a kayak. What's more, I heard you actually have to gut those monsters. Not the simple ‘butt’ or ‘tuna’ filleting or trout cleaning process. So, after about 20 minutes of fly lining a Greenie (deep down I was hoping I wouldn’t hook up with one), my clicker starts going crazy. I let it run for a second or two and then nail the drag lever on the Avet and bam, the fight is on. Honestly, there are no words that immediately come to mind to describe the exhilaration I felt when he broke the surface and entertained us. I can only sum it up with “that was the biggest kick in the nuts I have ever had”. I fought him for roughly 30-45 minutes, brought him to the side of my kayak, admired my adversary for a few seconds and then released him to fight another day. I wished the &^%$ I had a camera.

yakrider
08-30-2009, 07:43 AM
very nice....
I love the adrenaline flow from any good fight!!!
very cool you did C&R!!!

and yeah...don't forget the camera next time!!!

shortstack
08-30-2009, 08:28 AM
Its a rush!! :reel: At least you didn't get pulled all the way down south to Laguna and had to have PB and a fellow Yaker come and save ya. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Premo is the one to put you on the T-sharks for sure! he knows the game and is real good at it!

WahooUSMA
08-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Its a rush!! :reel: At least you didn't get pulled all the way down south to Laguna and had to have PB and a fellow Yaker come and save ya. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Premo is the one to put you on the T-sharks for sure! he knows the game and is real good at it!
Yup......he is the Thresher GOD!

dorado50
08-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Great job!! and great release...:luxhello:

RoeBoat
08-31-2009, 08:20 AM
I'm not sure it is a "real post" without a picture.....

BTW, you're buddy can't help it if he has a short gaff. :linesnap:

premo
08-31-2009, 09:59 AM
veeery nice.
no picture becouse Ryan took my sd card :p

bender0240
09-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Rad! Extra nice on the release!!