PDA

View Full Version : Transducer on Extreme

drmboy
03-03-2006, 11:41 PM
I just purchased a humminbird 383c fish finder and i was wondering where to put the transducer. I know most people do the in hull type but it says that the temp readout doesnt work and that the depth might not be correct. I have that option or i could mount it at the back of the kayak and have it in water and drill holes in the back for wires and so on. My question is why does everyone mount it inside if it makes the readings less accurate?

madscientist
03-04-2006, 03:37 AM
Only the temp is inaccurate, the depth readings are fine.

scwafish
03-04-2006, 07:15 AM
On an eXtreme you will have to remove the foam in your mounting location for it to work correctly. Not difficult, but a bit of a PITA. I have found the temp to work ok too, it just takes a while for the hull to reach the same temp. as the water.

tattuna
03-04-2006, 07:29 AM
I just jammed my puck into the larger scupper hole under the seat with a little bit of Shoe Goo on the sides of it. You have to drill a hole to run your cables through, but you can seal it afterwards. I've had it like this for a year and a half without any problems.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/1124yak1.JPG

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/1124yak2.JPG

scwafish
03-04-2006, 08:47 AM
I had thought about that...does it still let water out of the scupper or did it plug it completely? That would give you a super clean signal...me likey!!

tattuna
03-04-2006, 09:02 AM
Water still comes through the scupper. I could'nt jam it in enough to plug it up, but it's deep enough to where it's submerged just below being flush with the bottom.

FishingPlanner
03-04-2006, 09:22 AM
I seem to get a fairly accurate temp reading thru the hull, though as scwafish pointed out it takes a while for the hull to get to the same temp as the water.

I also like tatuna’s idea. I might give that a try next time around.

-Kevin

scwafish
03-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Thanks Tattuna, I'm doing my next boat that way...very cool.