PDA

View Full Version : San Quintin, Baja -> Looking for Info

jgoertz
10-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi,

Noobie here.

I'm heading down to San Quintin for a couple of days, bringing the yak, and was looking for any helpful hints that might help me to make a few fish tacos over the weekend. Can anyone help point to good fishing locations / lures in the area for this time of year? I will be staying in La Pinta Hotel on the bay side for one day, and probably one day at Punta San Carlos.

Anyone with experience in that area, that can chime in, I would definetely appreciate some advice.

Will share photos of any successes.

Thanks!
Jerry

'Cuda
10-08-2009, 02:54 AM
There is a little fishing village named Costa Rica about 15 miles south of the La Pinta Hotel turn-off just past XXXXXXX......look for a red Tecate sign at the turn-off and head straight down (1/4 mile) to the "ramp" launch. You can make bait at the kelp and drag 'em for wsb and krocodiles work well also (some pin a livey on a kroc and work the kelp). If that fails, paddle straight out to 70ft. depth, 1/2 mile more or less, trolling a livey or a rapala if you don't have live bait...there still may be some yt there.
Good luck and say hello to Kuko for me....he'll be there begging beers or what ever else you got (he can smell a tourist a mile away).

'Cuda
10-08-2009, 02:58 AM
Why are the X's editing out the village just before Costa Rica? Anyone?

TCS
10-08-2009, 07:49 AM
The Discover Baja Travel Club in University City has a book called The Baja Catch. Tons of good information. They also have the 4 1/2" Rebel Fastrac trolling lure which is recommended in the book. I have has zero luck with that lure in La Jolla, but it has worked great for me in Baja.

I've also heard that the bottom fishing around there is excellent. Particularly the Lingcod fishing.

As to the editing out the name of the Village, I don't think we need to worry about hoards of Gringos running down to Baja these days. Even if they did, that wouldn't be what destroys the fishery. The locals will take care of that themselves.

Tom

dos ballenas
10-08-2009, 09:14 AM
the first year I fished la jolla I KILLED it with the rebel fast tracs... caught every species in the book, including a big big ghost... and lost some screamers to the kelp as well. Many small yellow... but this year I couldnt keep the barracuda off em though. Hands down the best lure for the most diversity... just hard to land the bigguns when they hit it!

What pound test are you using??? They dont troll worth shit with anything over 25 lbs... 15 being the best... or at least good enough to get the wsb.

the baja catch is great, but their info is out of date, and lacking for SAn Quintin, but their methodology is a great for learning how to fish from a small boat.

whats fishing anyways?:lobster:

boogieman
10-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Hi,

Noobie here.

I'm heading down to San Quintin for a couple of days, bringing the yak, and was looking for any helpful hints that might help me to make a few fish tacos over the weekend. Can anyone help point to good fishing locations / lures in the area for this time of year? I will be staying in La Pinta Hotel on the bay side for one day, and probably one day at Punta San Carlos.

Anyone with experience in that area, that can chime in, I would definetely appreciate some advice.

Will share photos of any successes.

Thanks!
Jerry
USE WHAT EVER YOU WILL USE IN LA JOYA, EXCEPT FOR THE CROKODILES, YOU ARE GOING T O USE THOSE MORE THAN ENITING, THERS A LOT OF HALIBUT IN THE BAY IF YOU GO SOUTH TO A PLACE CALL VALLE TRANQUILO THERS A FEU SPOTS WITH KELP FOR WSB, I AM IN ENSENADA, JUST AT THE ENTRANCE OF TOWN LOOK TO YOUR LEFT, RIGHT ACROSS FROM THE SPORTFISING BOATS THERS A TAKCLE SHOP CALL BOOGIES, IF I CAN BE OF ANY HELP, GOOD LUCK.

miguelitro
10-08-2009, 11:15 AM
USE WHAT EVER YOU WILL USE IN LA JOYA, EXCEPT FOR THE CROKODILES, YOU ARE GOING T O USE THOSE MORE THAN ENITING, THERS A LOT OF HALIBUT IN THE BAY IF YOU GO SOUTH TO A PLACE CALL VALLE TRANQUILO THERS A FEU SPOTS WITH KELP FOR WSB, I AM IN ENSENADA, JUST AT THE ENTRANCE OF TOWN LOOK TO YOUR LEFT, RIGHT ACROSS FROM THE SPORTFISING BOATS THERS A TAKCLE SHOP CALL BOOGIES, IF I CAN BE OF ANY HELP, GOOD LUCK.

I have always wanted to stop in there on my way by. Next time i will make a point of it!
Mike

dick fabulous
10-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Rebel fast tracs, Megabait dines -n- choves 2 or 3 hook broke butt trolling. What, what ? - 3 hook on a smallibutt often makes a taco. A small one. No epic bass there :linesnap::rolleyes: ,yeah right, good times there :cheers1:.

jgoertz
10-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the tips and location hints. I did manage to launch out of the "ramp" and spent a couple of hours on the water. Not too many people in that area this time of the year.

I found a better spot a few miles to the south with a nice camping spot and launch access if you have 4x4. Attached are a few pics to show the good weather and scenic beauty of the place. It was quite lively on the water.

I didn't have too much luck with the fishing other than a few small bonitos and lots of top smelt. I wasn't able to spend as much time as I would have like due to significant other duties. But it was good to be on the water.

dniss
10-13-2009, 10:14 PM
You musta brought your kites, right? I've fished from a PB a few times down there, then kited the afternoon. Too much fun. There's big WSB in fairly shallow water in the kelp off XXXXXXX. Only got YT pretty far offshore. Black Seabass and Halis to be had near the harbormouth. You know about the huge tidal swings that might make the bay difficult to fish safely. Hope to see you in LJ, maybe next Sunday. Maybe some wind with this front if we're lucky...
Dave

blackcloud9
10-14-2009, 08:16 PM
http://www.bajadirections.com/baja%20directions%20fishing%20charts_091.htm

miguelitro
10-15-2009, 10:11 AM
This thread is making me excited to get down there for some fishing. i've always wanted to fish that stretch but was always heading further south.
Time to build a rack for the yak on the truck:D

bender0240
10-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Cool pics Jerry. Those birds get me all excited!

Ben