PDA

View Full Version : Yak buggin in the fog

Sherm
10-19-2009, 08:34 AM
I met up with a buddy (Greg) at SI launch Friday night. No wind, clear skies, and a tide coming from behind me. All was awesome and ready to go. Did the 45 minute paddle to the spot, which took an hour due to the Navy Patrol stopping us and taking down all our info. I mean all of it. I was paddling by one of the Navy docks...I was close but I don't like to be in the middle of the channel in my yak at night with a lot of boat traffic. It's much safer to stay close to the edge. The Navy Patrol stopped us and took down our names, Drivers license number, address, height, weight,hair and eye color. A little excessive I thought. But what was I to do? There were bugs to catch.

We finally left the Navy interrogation and arrived at our spot about 20 minutes later.

We set our first string and then the fog rolled in. Heavy ass pea soup fog. Hard to see out there with that kind of fog. We stayed in a small area for safety purposes and hooped for about three hours. I pulled 3 keepers and Greg got one.

The water had the bioluminescent thing going on in a big way that night. Every hoop coming up and going down looked like a big lit up saucer under the water. Every paddle stoke left a swirling trail of light. Every fish that took off lit up like a roman candle. The sea lions stayed with the yaks for a while but didn't mess with the hoops much. They were more interested in chasing the bait fish that lit up when we startled them.

The fog was so thick that we were getting very damp. Time to go. The tide had switched and was at our back again.

The paddle back was very interesting. No wind and ZERO visability. Crossing the channel was a little un-nerving as I could hear a boat now and then but not see a thing. If a turned on my lights it made it worse. Fortunately we paddled straight and made it back to the launch. I kept wondering if we were just paddling in a big circle until the shore line finally came into view. Then we wondered if we were at the right shore line. We then saw a familiar landmark on the shore and knew where we were. Didn't miss our destination by much.

Nice time on the water with Greg. We caught some bugs,overcame the obstacles that night, and I enjoyed a cigar, despite the fog.
<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/attachments/inshore-islands-fishing-reports-southern-california-usa/161613d1255969890t-yak-buggin-fog-10-16-pa160895.jpg (http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/attachments/inshore-islands-fishing-reports-southern-california-usa/161613d1255969890-yak-buggin-fog-10-16-pa160895.jpg) http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/attachments/inshore-islands-fishing-reports-southern-california-usa/161614d1255969914t-yak-buggin-fog-10-16-pa170896.jpg (http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/attachments/inshore-islands-fishing-reports-southern-california-usa/161614d1255969914-yak-buggin-fog-10-16-pa170896.jpg)
</FIELDSET>

Afran
10-19-2009, 08:45 AM
cool dude.
I looks fun and scary..............

I need to motivate

deepdvr
10-19-2009, 10:31 AM
I pussed out Saturday night. I was all ready to go out of SI and as soon as I got to the 5 the fog was walled up. I've been night fishing out there and even without the fog it is still stressfull looking out for boats that are hauling a**. Even if you're well outside the channel, you're still in range of getting run over.

gcsasher
10-19-2009, 03:11 PM
It was fun being out there watching all the bait fish and sea lions putting on a light show for us, but next time I'll bring my gps just in case the fog rolls in like that again. It really made it interesting on the way back trying to find land marks and staying on course while crossing the bay. Till next time.
Greg

Sherm
10-20-2009, 07:51 AM
I figured out the GPS on the new fish finder Greg. Next time I will just turn on the split screen and see where we are. That might take some of the fun out of it though;)

Brad Wells
10-23-2009, 04:44 PM
You need a radar reflector like the sail boats.

Johnp
10-23-2009, 06:29 PM
This a technical question. What is the best cigar for hooping?:sifone: