PDA

View Full Version : La Jolla Monday (fog) Navaids

Hypoxic1
11-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Launched about 0500 this morning and made bait, etc then went on the yellow hunt. As the sun was rising a dense fog bank materialized off the point and cut visibility to about 20 feet, making it hard to see skipping bait, or anything else for that matter. After about 3 hours I was able to determine exactly where I was and decided to just cut it short and call it a day. Ran into a kayak diver and he told me visibility in the kelp was down to about 7 feet, not real good.
I always carry a compass and maintain good situational awareness but this dense fog really made for a bummer of a trip. Given that I dont have a gps or a fishfinder I am shopping for both with urgency. Is it preferable to have a ff with a plotter, or just a cheap ff and a handheld gps?

I am interested in both arguments . I did see a rather nice garmin with plotter at West marine for about 450

If I get the cheap hummingbird or pirana ff and a handheld gps I am looking at 400 or therabouts plus battery in both cases.

Anyone with a view on this want to weigh in?
Thanks
Chris

Corey
11-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I'd get a combo unit. I've been using the Garmin 178 with internal antenna for 3 years with no problems, and I abuse it.

bigbarrels
11-09-2009, 01:10 PM
combo unit....I have the Humminbird 595c and it works well:D

Siebler
11-09-2009, 01:15 PM
We install a lot of Cuda 350's and they hold up well. This years units are 100% sealed, perfect for the kayak. 285.00 installed at OEX

Sherm
11-09-2009, 02:04 PM
That's the set up I go with. I abuse it and so far (knocking on wood) it's working just fine.

deepdvr
11-09-2009, 02:07 PM
We install a lot of Cuda 350's and they hold up well. This years units are 100% sealed, perfect for the kayak. 285.00 installed at OEX

Just wondering if the Lowrance M68C is also 100% sealed? If it is, give that one a look Chris.

Siebler
11-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Not sure, I installed one though and the transducer is HUGE.

radastaff
11-09-2009, 08:07 PM
i have both the ff(hunninbird343) and a seprate garmin gps handheld

if i could do over
i might still go with the combo unit

one thing to say about getting them sep
if one goes out and needs repairing
ure not down the other while waiting

nice to have the seprate handheld
if u go hikin or dont have one in ure car already
u can always get a mount for the handheld

THE DARKHORSE
11-09-2009, 08:35 PM
The alarm went off at 5 a.m., still dark, oh please just one more hour of sleep. It goes off again at 6 a.m., thick fog outside, no thanks. Call a friend on the beach around 10:30 a.m. : "there's still fog, but it's definetely clearing". I go ahead and launch around 11:00, not a soul in sight. The sun came out and the wind held off just long enough before the fog came back.

To make a long story short, you should have stayed out, Chris. Report to follow :).

Oh yeah, one more vote for the combo unit. Go West Marine or regret it.