PDA

View Full Version : north c bad kelp first trip 11/26

young mola
11-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Well the familys stuck in washington so I figured id take advantage of the day off and soak a line. Took my first trip out to the kelp in my yak Got the gentlemens start at about 9:30, headed down to carlsbad and dragged my yak up the beach. such a sweet day nice n sunny no wind got to the kelp and some dolphins and seals were goin off on what i guess was a good sized bait ball opted to steer clear of the excitement til i get a hang of things out there. cruised around most of the time had some smelt and macs chasin my krocodile but didnt really want to deal with them so i picked up a stripe for the day. Probably coulda had some luck but wasnt fishing it too hard more of a recon mission. the wind started picking up so i decided to head in to the beach. waited between swells to haul ass in but got caught by an in betweener. tried to turn and punch thru it but it caught me sideways and started to loop me i jumped off and grabbed the handle to balance it and keep from gettin sucked over the falls as soon as i did my microlite flew out of its holder and did a pencil dive straight to the bottom eh couldve been worse - it was about time for a new one anyhow. although it had a sweet little old school kroc on it im kinda bummed about losing. well looks like ill be spending this weekend riggin up tiedowns (after the dana landing seminar that is).. live and learn...
:kayak-surfer:

newguy01
11-27-2009, 04:16 PM
thanks for report. always a good idea to tie up all your gear even on a small surf, it tends to sneak upon you, see you on the water

dsafety
11-27-2009, 07:04 PM
You aren't the first guy to lose gear at Carlsbad. Talk to Chris who managed to lose everything, including a Hobie Livewell a while back. Funny how none of the lost stuff ever seems to surface later.

The waves can be sneeky there. I found that the rip that is usually around the old Charlies Restaurant is usually the best place to launch and land.

Bob

Tman
11-27-2009, 09:52 PM
It'a all good, esp since you had the juevos to go...

Was at the playa today, can't tell you how many times I thought, ok, now that one would hurt...and so would that one...and that one...

Keep at it, you'll figure it out...