PDA

View Full Version : GOT THE HAT TRICK TODAY

mmiller36
02-03-2010, 08:27 PM
3 days....3 fish.

bribed my boss with two hamachi collars and a big fillet. He gave me the day off to try for the trifecta. Slept in and didn't hit the water till early afternoon. The honey hole looked dead so I hit the outside in water deeper than I normally fish (135'). Soaked an overly large greenback that I pinned in the back with a 3.0 circle hook on an egg sinker. In the summer nose pinning is great for trolling but for bottom fishing in the winter I like the tail hook to let them swim about freely.

watched numerous baby whales swim by and then whammo!! My head is a bit big from the last two nights so I tightened the drag and horsed this one in in less than ten minutes. no gaff...just collared it onto my lap. 36 lbs on the bathroom scale.

you can TIVO the superbowl.....but you can't TIVO fishing like this.

game on.:mad:

deepdvr
02-03-2010, 08:38 PM
boring

Gino
02-03-2010, 09:01 PM
i thought a la jolla hat trick was 3 fish over 20 or is it 40lbs? that being a halibut, WSB, Yellowtail?

dsafety
02-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Congratulations on your excellent fishing skills and even better luck. Three big fish in three days is a great achievement, but it begs the question. What are you going to do with 100 pounds of fresh Yellowtail?

I know of several of our best yakfishers who have equaled or surpassed your feat, (I am not one of them), but interestingly, most of those fish were released to bite another day. I have a lot of respect for the folks who always seem to be able to find a way to catch something memorable when the average guy gets skunked. I have even more respect for those among us who only keep what they can use.

Just because we can catch and kill them, doesn't mean we always should.

Just one person's opinion.

Bob

TCS
02-03-2010, 09:24 PM
How heavy's that egg sinker? So the fish is pulled backwards down to the bottom. Got any pictures of that setup?

I'd like to give it a try. Thanks, Tom