PDA

View Full Version : The wrong kind...

j mo
02-16-2010, 06:26 AM
Got a bit of a late start and launched to sloppy surf around 8:00 am, met up with Gregg and Gabe and just missed Greggs sleigh ride by an XL T. Mid morning was pretty slow. We drifted for halibut for a while for no love and decided to move out into a little deeper water as the current picked up….<O:p</O:p
<O:p
I Ran a mackerel deep on the Carolina rig and just as I hit 130’ I pick up what I’ve been looking for on the fish finder. Nice, my mack is on schedule to make a guest appearance to the Yellowtail food foraging party. Any time now I think. No love…

But just as I’m about to drop the iron, the TLD sings out then goes dead. So I pick up the pace a little and suddenly the rod gets bent. Pick it up to find dead weight, start reeling in still dead, then I get spooled then dead weight, then spooled, then dead weight….Get it to color, it’s a ray, no it’s a halibut. Nope it’s the wrong kind! Guessing close to 50 lbs. It was full of baitfish and what looked like a sandbass. The highlight of the day was almost being broadsided by a whale. I was a close as I'd ever want to be to a one. I found no ambergris!
<O:p

Quilted Germ
02-16-2010, 06:53 AM
That was pretty cool to see. Didn't know you could catch them on live bait and I still think you should have kept a slab of meat, but oh well....what on awesome day to be on the water....

blitzburgh
02-16-2010, 06:56 AM
That's still kinda cool. What do all those guys do with the squid? Eat em, bait....?

driftwood
02-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Whales feed on those big squid. Im guessing you were right on top of his feeding grounds. more than likely, he was underneath you gobbling up the squid. Scary!:leaving:

dsafety
02-16-2010, 09:17 AM
The Gray Whales that we mostly see around here this time of year are baleen whales. They do not even have real teeth. They feed mostly on really small things like shrimp and mud worms filtered through their baleen.

I suppose it is possible that they might catch a big squid from time to time but I doubt that this is a significant part of their diet.

Bob

Oolie
02-16-2010, 12:36 PM
i'd be very scared if i caught one of those.

Afran
02-16-2010, 11:14 PM
woah! nice one.....

CandyCatcher
02-17-2010, 07:33 AM
I was fishing on the Aluminum SKiff not far from you....

I thought thats what i heard you yell to your buddy!!

Interesting Catch No Doubt!

Crazy....Those Whales were real close!!!

j mo
02-17-2010, 10:41 AM
I thought thats what i heard you yell to your buddy!!

Crazy....Those Whales were real close!!!

Yeah you probably heard me screaming like a girl! Thought for sure I was going to wind up on its back....

Nice little skiff you have by the way.

Billy V
02-17-2010, 06:44 PM
I made some tonight - delicious!

You must use the San Marzano Tomatoes though, anything else is substandard for a Pomodoro Style dish.
http://www.cento.com/sanmarzano.html

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0dc36b3127ccef9372524a54300000030O00AbMmzFizcN2 IPbz4M/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/