PDA

View Full Version : storm sesh carlsbad lagoon

young mola
03-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Had plans to go to the fred hall show up in long beach but all my friends flaked out so i figured id go play in the rain. got to the lagoon about 9:30 threw my gear on and tried my hand at pumpin some ghosts for about an hour in the pouring rain with no results. it was so sweet tho. the fresh rain and the lagoon mixing up smelled awesome.. reminded me of crabbing up in washington. figured id try for some smelt so i hopped on the yak and tried to bring em up with some bread...but all i brought out were the gulls.. classic. having failed two attempts at making bait i figured id just try throwin some plastics. ive been pouring my own lately and wanted to get em wet. went to the ol bass hole and threw a few casts for nothing. found the edge of the drop off with my ghetto fish finder and dragged one of my grubs down it and bam fish on. nothin special just a bass about 7 or 8in.. but it was the first fish ive landed on any of my own lures. 2.5in g tail grub i call the color ghost masago, came up with it after pumpin shrimp last time i fished there. no pics as i dont have a cam but am workin on picking up one of those waterproof digis i think its an olympus or something? anyhow headed in to shore and there was a dude there pumpin shrimp, ive only done it a few times with scarce results so as he was leaving i figured id ask for some tips. the guy didnt speak any english but fortunately i speak spanish so i asked again and the dude threw his boots back on and took me down to the water. probably spent about 20 mins or so showin me how to do it and when and where and all that he had one of the nice aluminum ones and let me use it a few times.. everytime i got a shrimp. i was doin it way wrong hahaha! but ya.. not a wsb tale but i learned a lot this morning despite missing all the seminars at the show...
:cheers1:

j mo
03-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the report. I need to learn how to pump, Ive been wanting to take my youngster for a go. I know he'd have a blast......