PDA

View Full Version : Bugs are morning people

greenscales
03-16-2010, 09:59 AM
I went out Saturday for almost nada until 4AM Sunday morn. Then limited out in 40 minutes on some solid bugs. I out some heavy wire mesh on top of my bait cages, with the ends sticking out, creating pokers along all edges of the cages. Makes it easier to tangle and stick you, so careful handling is needed, but it appeared to work (I will post photos later). The one adolescent sea lion that hung w/me was unable to get to the bait, but she was getting pissed. She followed me for an hour, scaring any bugs off. I think she was waiting for me to pull the nets, then grab them from underneath. When I flashed my headlamp at her, she would get crazy and started proposing off my bow. When I shouted at her a few times, she just would get closer and follow me around, continuing to jump in front of my bow.

Was back out last night from sunset until 1 AM, only 2 barely legals. Definitely the beginning of an incoming tide was the difference.

Stoneale
03-16-2010, 10:16 AM
nice bugs!!! :lobster::lobster::lobster:

i am going to try and go out one more time before the season ends.

Sherm
03-16-2010, 11:56 AM
NIce bugs. Incoming tide works best IMO anyway. I usually try to time the tides.

With that being said my last bug of the season was at a dead slack tide. Go figure.

Too bad we couldn't get out there together. My schedule was just off from yours. Next season for sure.

Tman
03-16-2010, 09:43 PM
...she would get crazy and started proposing off my bow...

Had the same chit happen to me when I had my boat after taking girlies out for a cruise...:sifone: