PDA

View Full Version : O'fer Bugs

BT
03-17-2010, 08:13 AM
I was finally able to get back out on the water to do a little bit of bug hunting. After back surgery in December to remove a big ass tumor, and all of the crappy weather, I saw the window of decent weather and knew I had to do get out. Seeing all of Sherm's posts about how good of a season he has been having, I thought I would be able to scrape a couple up. Tried getting out with him, but our schedules didnt jive. He did give me some damn good intel, and I put it into play.

So Thursday I paddle to the spot in the bay and set my nets out a bit before sunset. Pulled till 10:00 and only saw a handfull of shorts, with only one that I attempted measure. Paddled in with the big goose egg.

Saturday night I paddled out to Zuniga at 9:00 and with the outgoing tide it took me about 25-30 minutes to get out. :) I usually dont hoop the jetty because of the paddle, but tonight it was easy. Set my nets and started pulling. If anyone was looking for crappy spider crabs, I was the guy to talk to saturday night. :argh: I pulled my nets up a few thinking it was filled with kelp due to it's weight, but it was FULL of spider crabs. 4 of the larger models and about 7-8 of the smaller ones was the norm. Dogs didnt find me till late, so that was a positive. Pulled them until 6:00 a.m. and started to paddle in with the sunrise. I pulled out all of the guns...short soaks, long soaks, made sure I was pulling up the nets perfectly, dropped them right next to structure, moved them when there was nothing in them...and not a damn keeper in my yak. :mad: Sunday was a looong day....:coffee:

So last night I had the yak in the truck, took off right from work and headed towards the launch. Got there around 5, ate my dinner and headed over to my spot in the bay. It was a beautiful night, and I didnt even need the cold weather gear. T-shirt and a splash jacket with the waders. Gotta love SD when you can fish on a kayak in March and sweat! There was already a boat over there, so I paddled over and asked if they minded if I dropped nets in the area too, and they were cool with it. Dropped the nets, and waited. Before it got dark I received an omen....a huge Dole freighter was leaving the bay. Now I know the banana rule, but what happens when a cargo shipthat was once FILLED with bananas floats by you? :stupid: Well as the night progressed, I figured the ship must have been spilling banana juice all over the bay. I was pulling up bugs left and right, but they were all just short...fingernail short. Pure torture! The guys in the boat did manage one keeper, but once again...nada por este vato.:shot:

So for the three days there were zero keepers, way to many spider crabs (catching one is cool...catching 100 sucks), a fatty sculpin, 6 cigars:sifone:, and way to much banana mojo.

Aint gonna torture myself again tonight. Had a great season in the begining, just didnt pan out towards the end. Gonna wait till next year.

bluesquids
03-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Don't feel too bad. I only got one in the last two nites.
I was freediving though. Monday they were crawling and getting jiggy right before the hightide.
Too much fun grabin' em like a ninja assasin, too many clickers to count, one legal and a swing and a miss on a BIG DOG.
BIG DOG had me back last nite, same place, same time, TOTALLY different story, fewer seen, very nervous and mostly holed up. :hmmmm:

Sherm
03-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Sorry we couldn't get out Brian. Next season for sure.

Too bad you didn't find any keepers. The spot I gave you works better on an incoming tide and I think the spiders moved in the last wek or so and chased away the bugs. My last night there I managed 6. But that was a lot of work. Plus you have to be JUST in the right spot. The last night with Spyder we could be right next to each other and one net would be full and the other empty.

time to start fishing LJ and the occasional bay trip after work.

BT
03-17-2010, 03:53 PM
I am getting the yak ready for fishing in a week or so. Havent been out in LJ for a while, and I may just do an empty run to get my bearings without all the gear. For my birthday I am giving my wife info on how to contact Josh for a guided session!

Those spider crabs were relentless. If I had a boat, i would have kept all of the legal ones I could and eaten them just to help out the next guy. In fact crab season is year round, so if anyone wants to take me out I ahve a score to settle!:banghead:

dgax65
03-17-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm glad to hear that you're paddling again. Back surgery es no bueno.

BT
03-17-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks Doug! It went from a couple week turn around to nearly a 2 1/2 month turn around. And that was the longest 2.5 months, especially watching people post bug reports like they were.

Rule of thumb for now on...dont get surgery during an El Nino year!