PDA

View Full Version : Missing kayaker in Mission Bay..

steamroll
04-29-2010, 04:38 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/apr/29/overturned-kayak-found-search-under-way/

driftwood
04-29-2010, 04:49 PM
SAN DIEGO -- A man's body was found floating near Shelter Island Thursday. The body was found in the water near the 1400 block of Shelter Island. I wonder if its related. :confused:

GunWall Flint
04-29-2010, 05:43 PM
dam, always hits home when something like this happens to a fellow yakker.:afraid:

Safety in numbers.!

Aaron
04-29-2010, 06:00 PM
shelter island = san diego bay. Kayak was found in mission bay. Unless the yak or the body made a crazy trek around point loma, I doubt it.

Iceman
04-29-2010, 06:09 PM
12 foot Malibu would be a Pro Explorer of Stealth 12. The fact that it was found flipped over is not a good thing, otherwise I would guess it was just adrift.

prowlerdude
04-30-2010, 06:40 AM
Wind blew a table over at my house in Clairemont. Hopefullly the kayak blew off a moored boat but who keeps fishing ear in a stored yak?

bigbarrels
04-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Just received a call from a guy name Scott, who plucked me from the water last week off La Jolla, telling me about the kayak. I saw this post yesterday but figured it was a 12 ft Red Malibu in the bay.....So, I decided to give the Coast Guard (then to the lifeguard headquarters) a call to see if maybe this was a 15 foot XFActor instead of a 12 foot red Malibu.....I described to them my setup and it turns out the kayak is actually my XFactor that I sank on 4-19 and it ended up on the Mission Bay Jetty...not in the bay......Crazy stuff:) I figured some fish had a new home on the bottom but it must not have reached the bottom......so I'm on my way to pick it up. Apparently it is trashed but the seat, fishfinder, baittank, a broken fishing pole, and who knows what else. I'll see what I can salvage! Maybe Malibu kayaks would be kind enough to make a trade:) Thankfully there isn't a missing kayak fisherman in San Diego on a 12 foot Malibu!

Tom

ful-rac
04-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Wow...no way...!! :eek: I hope it's your yak!

j mo
04-30-2010, 08:54 AM
.....I described to them my setup and it turns out the kayak is actually my XFactor that I sank on 4-10 and it ended up on the Mission Bay Jetty...not in the bay......Crazy stuff:) I figured some fish had a new home on the bottom but it must not have reached the bottom......so I'm on my way to pick it up.
Tom

If true that is a crazy story!

bigbarrels
04-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Wow...no way...!! :eek: I hope it's your yak!

What I described to the lifeguard.... he said that it was a match:stoned:

toby
04-30-2010, 09:23 AM
The Ocean is truly an amazing place!!!

Holy Mackerel
04-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Incredible!

mo2vation
04-30-2010, 09:43 AM
WOW.

We need to change this thread to "LET this happen to you...."

A recovered yak nearly 3 weeks later. No pool noodles required.

:)

Unreal. Be sure to come back and tell us what up.

-Ken

Iceman
04-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Crazy stuff Tom!

bluesquids
04-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Amazing. The fact it drifted that far and didn't get hung up on kelp. I also thought that something thats negative on the surface only gets more negative as it gets deeper. Anyway, I posted the story on the UT comment section to let them know they got their facts all wrong.

Aaron
04-30-2010, 11:00 AM
unbelievable! Was not expecting that one. Seems like this site should be cited in some article in the near future.

steamroll
04-30-2010, 11:11 AM
:eek::eek::eek:

Unreal!

Congrats on getting your kayak back:cheers1:

dos ballenas
04-30-2010, 11:14 AM
damn, thats just too crazy... time to go buy a lotto ticket!!!! :cheers1:

dmrides
04-30-2010, 11:51 AM
If indeed it is yours, that is awesome. :luxhello: Good thought to call in and check it out.

sandydiego
04-30-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm happy that your getting it back. Post some photos of the yak please.

mo2vation
04-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Amazing. The fact it drifted that far and didn't get hung up on kelp. I also thought that something thats negative on the surface only gets more negative as it gets deeper. Anyway, I posted the story on the UT comment section to let them know they got their facts all wrong.

I'm a diver, and this is sort of true.

I've been talking with some buddies about this - now we don't know if its his boat... but if it is, wow.

The only thing we can come up with are these:

Its possible it was just barely positive. Like when you fill a gallon milk jug with water and toss it in the pool. It makes a heck of a splash, and takes minutes to rise to the surface. Its possible once he got off the boat that the boat became positive eventually and drifted along, mostly under the surface onto the jetty.

Something within the hull off-gassed. Maybe the battery, or several batteries, or other things that got wet. We dive with very powerful NiMH batteries in our lights and scooters. When these things get flooded, they give off all kinds of gas, often blowing the lid or latches off the light or scooter. Its possible something within the hull off-gassed sufficiently, filling the hull enough to get this thing to float.

There may be other things - if I recall the story, it sank either bow or stern first (not keel first) - so it could have become some big red plastic pencil was bobbing along just barely under the surface for a couple of weeks like some flooded lobster bouy.

I can't wait to hear back from Big Barrels to hear if its his boat. I mean, just wow. IIRC, the boat wasn't compromised - the hatch had water pouring into it from the bait pump. Dude can get out a brush and likely clean this boat up and have it back out this weekend.

Whatever happens, this is the material legends are made of:

The kayaker who's boat sinks out from under him, scrambling he finds himself adrift, alone, offshore.

Keeping his head together, and with a hand of grace, dude tries to shake down several passing crafts, only to be denied. Not losing heart, he sees another kayaker.

The great Samaritans in these Kayaks that the fisherman spots pluck him from the cold sea and give him their shoes and blankets.

The kind hearted and hard core dude doesn't want to ruin the day of his benefactors - now warm enough he grabs a rod and straddles the bow for 90-minutes and fishes with them.

The story is posted so we now have hundreds of paddlers and fisherman who modify their gear, think about what might have happened and become more safety aware after the incident.

Weeks later, the Lazarus boat - rising from the depths.

And, of course, the Forum that tracks this all moment by moment.

Somebody call Tony Scott or JJ Abrams. This is the stuff of Hollywood.

:sifone:

-Ken

walrus
04-30-2010, 01:11 PM
BIGBARROWS BALLAD<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
He heard a mermaid whisper “come with me, I can tell you love the sea”.
He said, “I love my wife and she loves me, you and I can never be”.
<o:p> </o:p>
With a sudden splash his kayak sank, he felt a tug on his leg and then a yank.
He kicked free and was afloat , He looked around for a boat.
Two boats were near, but when he yelled for them they did not hear.
The boats were soon out of sight, and he wondered if this is where he’d spend the night.
He heard a sound, it was out to sea, what he heard was a shout of glee.
He saw a skiff with a rod bent, and knew he could get there before they went.
With a determined stroke he swam toward the small bobbing boat.
Getting near the paddle he waved, and moments later he was saved.
So when you fish, remember what those who love you wish.
They want you to come back, and be prepared for emergencies on your yak.
And always remember to put your fingers in your ears, if you should hear a mermaid whisper
“Come with me, I can tell you love the sea”.
Thanks for sharing your story and inspiring me to:<o:p></o:p>
Attach a vhf radio to my PFD.
Attach a whistle to my PFD.
Secure a bilge pump within reach.
Attach a strobe to my PFD.
Always WEAR my PFD.

dniss
04-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Glad you'll get your boat back. Your original post gave me lots to think about, thanks for sharing.

bigbarrels
04-30-2010, 03:50 PM
So just got from picking up my kayak and here are some photos. Crazy stuff! The kayak ended up in front of the Lifeguard Headquarters in Mission Bay yesterday morning around 1030......I thought it was a new home on the bottom for some sort of critter being that it went vertical and disappeared like a scene out of Titanic (without the people flying buy, muscians, or romance) Everything on the deck was pretty much removed except one pole holder and, the seat, FF mount, GPS transponder, compass, and the leash for paddle. I also got back my bait tank, sump pump, billy club, and VHF radio (doesn't work) that was tangled up in wires of kayak.....the kayak has some new stick marks on it and the only hole is in the back where the rudder was torn out......I lost my center hatch lid which tells me when I flipped that wasn't locked down and secured (i think I turned one or two latches), which then allowed the water to fill rapidly and finish the job....so then my VHF radio was sucked into the kayak (no wonder I didn't see it) and got tangled with the wires....:doh:I secured the front hatch after opening it and didn't secure the middle before it flipped.....probably better that way in my case due to the fact I would have clinged to a kayak drifting south and would have moved out of the fishing grounds.....but who knows.....Anyhow, I think this experience has served as a good learning tool for myself and the kayak community here on BWE and I hope everyone is prepared and aware that stuff can happen quick. Also, if you sink a kayak it should be reported to the Lifeguards or Coast Guard so if it shows up there isn't a search party out trying to find a fisherman that doesn't exist (my wife and I talked about it).....another lesson learned

Tom
:sifone:

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/IMG_0765.JPG

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/IMG_0768.JPG

Gino
04-30-2010, 04:16 PM
absolutely freaking amazing...

Aaron
04-30-2010, 04:41 PM
this is like a soap opera. Did you spot anything that could explain the water you were taking on prior to it going down? I know it would be tough to tell with the "post-burial" damage...

bigbarrels
04-30-2010, 05:13 PM
this is like a soap opera. Did you spot anything that could explain the water you were taking on prior to it going down? I know it would be tough to tell with the "post-burial" damage...

had to be the bait tank. The scuppers and hull are intact

Lets_Fish
04-30-2010, 05:48 PM
This story is just EPIC. The most important thing here is that you survived and did not drown. You also make some important points in regards to if you yak goes adrift or sinks, let the CG or Life Guards know where and when and describe the yak as best as possible.

Now its rebuilding time and then off to :reel: some :wsb:!

Dennis
04-30-2010, 06:07 PM
:eek:.. Good points on notifying the CG and Lifeguards about sinking your kayak. I agree.. Outfit another one, and get back out there.

dsafety
04-30-2010, 06:47 PM
I just heard on the evening news that the search has been abandoned for the potentially lost kayaker associated with the yak that showed up in the MB channel. Someone, should clue the media in on the full story.

The complete story is much more interesting than what the media has reported so far. Bigbarrels, this is the time for you to bask in your 15 minutes of fame. You should call or email your favorite TV station and tell them your story.

Bob

Jimmyz123
04-30-2010, 07:06 PM
That is amazing, WOW!

GregAndrew
04-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Just talked to a Coast Guard boat today, and they handed me a sticker that you affix to your yak so that they know who to contact in case they find it adrift. You write your Cell, Phone, and Name on it in waterproof marker.
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu228/GregAndrew/P4300254.jpg

Willy
04-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Simply amazing.

So glad both you and your kayak have been recovered.

This really shows, the ocean is something so incredible, and beyond our full understanding.

Shocker the news media has fully botched the story. Never trust what you read in the paper, or hear on the news.
They will always fill in the blanks in a story with their own fabricated nonsense.

Great story Bigbarrels.
You've go an amazing tale to tell.

Willy

lambadmin
05-01-2010, 07:01 AM
Amazing...

That kayak is back for a reason. It must have soaked some karma drifting underneath the surface. :)

sandydiego
05-02-2010, 07:08 AM
I think that the Malibu X-factor really is one tough kayak. I'll buy another one. Thanks for posting the photos. I hope Malibu steps up and helps you out. They may want to keep this U-boat.

Caffeind
05-02-2010, 08:46 AM
had to be the bait tank. The scuppers and hull are intact

I've been curious about those tanks and how well they seal to prevent that. Is that by design or did the seal just fail?

Glad to hear this one turned out with a happy(er) ending than the media portrayed.

bigbarrels
05-02-2010, 10:24 AM
I think that the Malibu X-factor really is one tough kayak. I'll buy another one. Thanks for posting the photos. I hope Malibu steps up and helps you out. They may want to keep this U-boat.

I would buy another as well....Great kayak but I would have a different bait tank setup (5 gallon bucket) that doesn't sit inside the kayak.....or just make sure the sit inside bait tank was only ran with a timer switch (never had an issue prior to that day).....

h2ofishfo
05-02-2010, 01:00 PM
dude re-name that yak night rider no matter where u leave it it will come back to papa:kayak-surfer::afraid::help::stickyman::star:

bigbarrels
05-02-2010, 02:16 PM
dude re-name that yak night rider no matter where u leave it it will come back to papa:kayak-surfer::afraid::help::stickyman::star:

LMAO! Those animations sum it up pretty well! I like Night Rider but Zombie Yak was pretty cool too:)

Ohana
05-02-2010, 07:03 PM

Likely that your kayak sunk to a level where it's density (the plastic and any trapped air) matched the water's at that depth and was moved with the current/tidal flow.

Kevin

Aaron
05-02-2010, 07:19 PM
I would buy another as well....Great kayak but I would have a different bait tank setup (5 gallon bucket) that doesn't sit inside the kayak.....or just make sure the sit inside bait tank was only ran with a timer switch (never had an issue prior to that day).....

What is the reason that you think it was the timer? I have had my x factor for at least 4 years now and have never ran it on a timer. The only time that I can see a continuous flow being a problem would be if your exhaust clogged and the tank started to overflow. But you would get the same result if you ran the tank on a timer. And the exhaust on that drop in tank is huge. I'm mostly interested because I'm still running mine without a timer and maybe there is something I'm missing? I do run the adjustable aerator head but I dunno. Care to elaborate.

bigbarrels
05-02-2010, 07:39 PM
What is the reason that you think it was the timer? I have had my x factor for at least 4 years now and have never ran it on a timer. The only time that I can see a continuous flow being a problem would be if your exhaust clogged and the tank started to overflow. But you would get the same result if you ran the tank on a timer. And the exhaust on that drop in tank is huge. I'm mostly interested because I'm still running mine without a timer and maybe there is something I'm missing? I do run the adjustable aerator head but I dunno. Care to elaborate.

This is only speculation on my part at this point. Running it without a timer is the only thing that I did differently that day. I never had much in way of water issues prior to that day......that is why I thought it was possible mistake #1. No clogging issues, no hull or scupper issues, not 100 % sure what happenned