PDA

View Full Version : Making Bait

jorluivil
06-02-2010, 12:57 PM
With this kayak sportfishing being very new to me I need to learn some techniques from the vets. What's the best technique? I've been a private boaters for six years now and have never had to make bait. Bacon and egg on a sabiki jig or ribeye steak with baked potato?

Dan
06-02-2010, 01:02 PM
I like the owner brand sabikis, 20lb mainline. tie it up and put a 3-4oz torpedo on the end of it. and send it down where you're metering macs. in the daylight you don't need to tip your sabiki with anything. simple as that...if you use a chrome sinker, you can put a small hook on the end with a ring. the macs will often bite that over the sabiki hooks.

Iceman
06-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Here is something a wrote a few years ago

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/servlet/Page?template=livebait

Lets_Fish
06-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks Andy, great write up. As for current fee for bait, this is what I have spent: $10.00 for a Kayak scoop at both Dana Point and Newport Beach. The difference between the two was I got 15 (4"-7" sardines @ Dana) and 30+(4"-7" sardines and chovie mix @ Newport). Not sure why the difference in amounts from each, maybe luck at one, not sure though!

Adam12
06-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks Andy, great write up. As for current fee for bait, this is what I have spent: $10.00 for a Kayak scoop at both Dana Point and Newport Beach. The difference between the two was I got 15 (4"-7" sardines @ Dana) and 30+(4"-7" sardines and chovie mix @ Newport). Not sure why the difference in amounts from each, maybe luck at one, not sure though!

Also @ Newport you can go back and get topped off again for free.

Whizz Bang
06-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Andy's post is an awesome reminder that there is a wealth of knowledge on this site and others. Before starting a new thread, you should always exhaust your search options, chances are it has been covered before.