PDA

View Full Version : Batteries

scooter
06-10-2010, 06:26 AM
Mounting a fish finder, transducer, etc. and had a question about battery type. Thought I saw post of someone who said they used a 9.2V RC car battery to power their FF? I know I'm supposed to have 12 volts but will an RC battery work? Will it hurt the FF? I just figured since I have several of these and they're lighter than the Radio Shack rechargeable 12's I might as well try.
Thanks for any suggestions

dsafety
06-10-2010, 07:42 AM
There have been lots of threads on batteries in this forum. Use the search feature.

As for using your 9V for the fish finder, it will probably work for a short period of time until the voltage drops to about 8.5V which is the minimum that my FF will work at.

You would be much better getting a 12V. There are lots of other sources that offer more variety and better pricing than the Shack. You can also make your own 12V source by using a bunch of AA rechargable batteries.

Kits and waterproof boxes are available at OEX .

Bob

scooter
06-10-2010, 05:26 PM
There have been lots of threads on batteries in this forum. Use the search feature.

As for using your 9V for the fish finder, it will probably work for a short period of time until the voltage drops to about 8.5V which is the minimum that my FF will work at.

You would be much better getting a 12V. There are lots of other sources that offer more variety and better pricing than the Shack. You can also make your own 12V source by using a bunch of AA rechargable batteries.

Kits and waterproof boxes are available at OEX .

Bob

Thanks Bob, I did search but couldn't find the original message. Yeah I like AAs better just because of the weight and cost. I did see your posts on that method. Just wanted to verify the 9.2 V would or wouldn't work. Maybe I could use two of those 9.2 V with about 3/4 charge.http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/images/icons/icon7.gif