PDA

View Full Version : Tarpon 160 or Trident 15

Jimmyz123
06-11-2010, 12:38 PM
These are the two Kayaks I have narrowed my search down to. So far I see that the Tarpon is about a foot longer and 1 inch narrower than the Trident 15. Other than that, in your opinions, which is the better Kayak to invest in, and why?

So far my thoughts are the Trident has better storage space, a little wider, more features, but I don't want to base my choice on just those two options. I thank you in advance for your opinions.

Useful Idiot
06-11-2010, 03:47 PM
These are the two Kayaks I have narrowed my search down to. So far I see that the Tarpon is about a foot longer and 1 inch narrower than the Trident 15. Other than that, in your opinions, which is the better Kayak to invest in, and why?

So far my thoughts are the Trident has better storage space, a little wider, more features, but I don't want to base my choice on just those two options. I thank you in advance for your opinions.

I've got em both at the mission bay store for demo, take em on the water and see which on you like best. The Trident will be more stable but the 160 will be faster. Beyond that it's a matter of deck layouts. Depends on what you have in mind for FF, bait tank, accessory mounting...

bellcon
06-11-2010, 04:01 PM
You cannot make this decision with out testing them both on the water

having said that:
You can't go wrong with the Tarpon 160
it is a bad azz yak and it is fast
I test drove it and loved it
It was on the top of my list when I was looking for a new kayak a few years back.

Then the Trident 15 came out
The decision was easy for me,
at 6-4, 240lbs the T15 fits me perfectly
If I had to buy another kayak right now, the T15 would still be my first choice, .

But I reserve the right to re-test drive one of them peddle boats:sifone:
and if I get comfortable in one...
I am going to the dark side

Jimmyz123
06-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks man I'll be coming down to test paddle both those and along with that test out my arm. This surgery recovery sucks let me tell ya.

TCS
06-11-2010, 09:37 PM
I had two wilderness kayaks before I got my hobie and liked them both. The seat is super comfortable. I like the 160 a lot but between surfing and paddling my shoulders were just getting too much wear and tear.

Why aren't you looking at a hobie? Nothing wrong with traditional paddling, but if you have a bum arm it would seem like just the thing.

Jimmyz123
06-11-2010, 10:46 PM
My arm is recovering from lifting something stupidly, it was surgically repaired and will be back to full strength in a few months. I just don't like the Hobies. I checked them out at the Fred Hall Show and they just weren't what I liked. I'm glad others love them, but I just do not. I like the normal paddling, it's a great workout, and I'm kind of a purist.