PDA

View Full Version : LJ 8/20 8/21

madscientist
08-22-2005, 07:59 AM
Tough weekend. Went north Sat, grabbed a greenie and a handful of sardines right past the reserve line, then started hunting. Sure enough, spot some swirls and the hunt is afoot. Called Chris on the radio to let him know they were around. Same as its been, just a slight "disturbance in the force" (as Ken would say) with maybe a fin. 4 times I spotted and casted on them and got bumped on the iron twice, but they are not really feeding. Bait did get tagged once during that time but no hookup. Flylined a sardine while drifting for but. Around 9:30, flyline goes off. Stuck good and the fight is on. Good grade of fish. 10min in, the leader breaks at the hook. Damn. That was it for the rest of the day. No bottom action, not even prehistoric.

Sunday went back out early hoping to find the morning run. Never saw em. Bait was very sparse, got one greenie that lasted the rest of the day. Lots of bones out deeper crashing anchovies, got a half dozen for bug bait. Went to the kelp but it was quiet and amateur (boat) hour. Almost got my line run over twice and decided I'd had enough. Disappointing weekend with gray and breezy conditions both days.

lamb
08-22-2005, 09:10 AM
Brad, I missed 'ya on Sunday. Here's my report...

Got up at 6:00AM, grabbed coffie and ran to La Jolla shores. The plan was to exclusively target halibut, and be ready if the tails pay a surprise visit. I really wanted to put to work some of the 2 point rigs I’ve been thinking of.

Launch was piece of cake, 1-2 ft-ers. The first time on the yak, I started paddling north. There was some surfers tourney by the pier.

Didn’t really know where to look for bait; saw some marks right in front of the Pier. Small chovies, and to my surprise – small lizard fish? I thought those guys were hugging the bottom. Couldn’t get macs. Switched to dragging some rubber skirts and headed North. I was happy to find that “hole” there, the north arm of the canyon. I didn’t really know it extends that close to the shore. I was busy marking some spots – never enough of a rock fish holes. ;) I picked up some larger model Spanish and 2 greenies right there at the 1st drop.

By 8:00-ish, wind has picked up considerably, making for a challenging paddle in the wind. I mostly “combed” 30’/40’ depth, and decided to try a little deeper. As I was paddling straight west, 10 sq. yards area not far away from me exploded. :shock: A school of tails was doing their thing while I paddled like crazy. I weighed each stroke worrying if they would sink down by the time I get into casting range. I fired off the magabait right in the middle of 5-6 boiling fish thinking how lucky mofo I am… No interest, while they kept brewing. Fired another one, got bumped… Fired the 3rd one, no avail and they were gone… talking aout adrenalin. Pinned the greenie on the surface and worked the area for a while, hoping to get another chance. Nope, no show again.

Got one haliscar on my bait, that was it for the day.

On my way back, I ran into Mark (Ski). Had a nice chat, nice meeting you dude. Mark had I niiice linger – 29". The pic doesn’t do the justice.

http://members.cox.net/the.fishing/Pictures/2005_08_21/mark.JPG

Next time. 8)

The highlight of the day - I timed the surf entry badly, and ended up trying to outrun pretty big wave... I ended up surfing it like a pro! I was stoked!!! No rolly polly Lamb this time! :)

madscientist
08-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Sorry i missed you Adi. I must have been further out by the time you got there. Are you sure they were YT boiling? The bones got me all riled up a couple of times over there. Wish i'd hung around there rather than going over to the kelp. Apart from a brief chat with Mark, it was a cold lonely day for me. When are you out next?

lamb
08-22-2005, 11:53 AM
positive on ID.

Some of them, I could see 1/2 the fish, the back part... Yellow tails…

Huge boil + hefty back + yellow tail = LAMB!!! :D I could hear them bleating…

This week doesn’t look too good for me. Still don’t know if I’ll be working on Saturday. If not, I’ll fish Jim’s tourney. I may be able to sneak out Friday AMs. Slight chance…

Good luck to all.

katchfish
08-22-2005, 03:49 PM
The yellows must be saving themselves for Saturday. :twisted:

Ken

Spinal Tap
08-22-2005, 04:52 PM
How's the vis up there? It was red last I talked to a guy who fished up there, but that could have changed because its been 8 days since I got that report. I'd like to paddle up there and poke'em if the water has cleared a bit.

lamb
08-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Visibility seemed OK. I couldn’t really tell, as I usually know by the fish I see at color. Haven’t pulled up much, and no kelp.

Red is gone. Gun would have been handy. Do they make machine spear guns?!? :lol: Take out the whole school. :twisted:

Nate, my buddy Jasmin was walking on LJ Shores with his wife. He left me VM yesterday, all drooling how he ran into a guy who speared 30# wsb. That must have been you.

Spinal Tap
08-22-2005, 08:05 PM
Hey Adi,

Yeah that was me. I was in a hurry (had to make the weigh-in at 3pm) and apologized to him because my answers were short. It didn't matter that I made the weigh-in cutoff because my 30lb WSB was the smallest WSB for the tournament.

There are no machine gun spearguns, but if you get a powerful enough tuna gun you could aim into the school and blast through a half dozen fish. :twisted:

Nate