PDA

View Full Version : Double Hook-up

kpe42
07-01-2010, 12:21 PM
LJ 6/27/10, First post, personal best, good story (I think). I was just about done for the day, had to make a 3pm wedding...it's going on 12 noon? Had a couple bites on the squid down low, no fish. Last shot here, so I pinned a second bait on one rod and dropped it mid range, re-baited my bottom rig. The bottom rig hooks up and I grab it, fish is heading to the canyon. About that time the second rod goes of, fish heading hard toward the kelp on 20 lb. floro leader....it's getting there too, from 200 yards away! I guy I don't know (Ed, left in photo) was passing near me, called him over, handed off the first rod OK. I picked up my second and it was down to the mono backing (won't be doing that again, all spectra next time). Then I saw a kayaker was struggling with....hey, that's my line!!!! He got it loose, I picked up the slack and was back on and up on the spectra as well. Ed was landing fish #1 with sealions in pursuit! Fish #2 was nearing the boat and took off again, I was sure a seadog had it....but no, it came up to color and was taken cleanly. Ken & Ed 2.....sealions 0. Both went 30ish! I asked Ed how his freezer was, he said "empty", so I asked him to take the YT he landed home. Thanks Ed! Ken

Oolie
07-01-2010, 12:32 PM
LJ 7/27/10, First post, personal best, good story (I think). I was just about done for the day, had to make a 3pm wedding...it's going on 12 noon? Had a couple bites on the squid down low, no fish. Last shot here, so I pinned a second bait on one rod and dropped it mid range, re-baited my bottom rig. The bottom rig hooks up and I grab it, fish is heading to the canyon. About that time the second rod goes of, fish heading hard toward the kelp on 20 lb. floro leader....it's getting there too, from 200 yards away! I guy I don't know (Ed, left in photo) was passing near me, called him over, handed off the first rod OK. I picked up my second and it was down to the mono backing (won't be doing that again, all spectra next time). Then I saw a kayaker was struggling with....hey, that's my line!!!! He got it loose, I picked up the slack and was back on and up on the spectra as well. Ed was landing fish #1 with sealions in pursuit! Fish #2 was nearing the boat and took off again, I was sure a seadog had it....but no, it came up to color and was taken cleanly. Ken & Ed 2.....sealions 1. Both went 30ish! I asked Ed how his freezer was, he said "empty, so I asked him to take the YT he landed home. Thanks Ed! Ken

cool a first post from the future!

props on donations.

kpe42
07-01-2010, 12:34 PM
6/27

j mo
07-01-2010, 12:41 PM
:cheers1:

Oolie
07-01-2010, 12:42 PM
i'm worried about the 200 yards thing, why was the drag so loose?

kpe42
07-01-2010, 12:59 PM
light tackle, 20 lb. line....and I was busy. That's all I got.

Geoffkoop
07-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Good work guys! I was the one on the beach that took the photo. I was on my way back from my 5 year anniversary stay and wanted to show my wife where we fish....we pulled up and saw those bad boys:luxhello:.

kpe42
07-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks for that Geoff......And sorry for the edits guys, posting was new and exciting for me, just didn't catch the mistakes. Ken

WahooUSMA
07-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Nice job!

ken aguilar
07-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Fantastic. congrats

cajunman
07-01-2010, 01:35 PM

The loose drag is none of yuour business, take the time to congratulate him instead!!

Nice job and great story of helping and sharing after

rich

Regor
07-01-2010, 01:39 PM
GREAT day for the two of you!

Nic D
07-01-2010, 03:05 PM
The loose drag is none of yuour business, take the time to congratulate him instead!!

Nice job and great story of helping and sharing after

rich

just like Oolie's comment is none of your business, you could mind your own business the same. The comment wasn't mean nor derogatory. Leave the moderating to the moderators.

Cajunman, great story man. So one question, did you make it to the wedding on time? ;)

-scallywag-
07-01-2010, 06:11 PM
SWEAT !!!!

It was fun fishing with you guys! and way to handle the double hook-up.

Those fish where much bigger than they look in the shore pic.

And come on guy's don't be too hard on them, I was there too and that mid-day school was full of pissed off above avarge fish.....I went 1/3 on that shool, fishing #40mono on the heavy iron.

First fish drug me peddling and screeming into the kelp.

Second fish same story but I buttoned down the drag before he got there and ended up breaking off 2 tines on a 6xjr.

Third fish? - when I get the pics resized I'll post my new PB YT! :D

Between the 5-6 yaks and one skiff in the area I think we went about 4-12....even the skiff was getting drug into the kelp, after loosing thier 2nd fish, they tried fighting the fish with the motor:doh:....and they still lost it!

P.S. I think we where more like 100yrds away from the kelp. :leaving:

kpe42
07-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks all, yes it was a nice mid-day bite. Several lost fish, so I feel really lucky. I'd rather understate size than overstate. And Yes, I made the wedding. Had to ice the the fish until monday after work though. Cleaned and smoked some, cut the rest up for a fish taco fry this weekend. Lastly, no offence taken on the "loose drag" post. And it wasn't that loose, just a strong fish on light tackle. Truth is, I aready lost one on that rod due to tight drag....just playing it safe.....which I usually do. Ken

StinkyMatt
07-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Nice fish! Giving your "new" buddy that YT, sweet! We need more "nice" guys like you out there!

cajunman
07-02-2010, 08:24 AM
just like Oolie's comment is none of your business, you could mind your own business the same. The comment wasn't mean nor derogatory. Leave the moderating to the moderators.

Cajunman, great story man. So one question, did you make it to the wedding on time? ;)

maybe you r right, but i found it frustrating to see the "drag" reply to such a great story of catching and sharing
my apologies

Nic D
07-02-2010, 09:30 AM
No hard feelings Cajunman, and you are right about keeping this thing positive. This is a great forum and i'm sure we both don't want this place to turn into another bdecks.

Have a great 4th!

Geoffkoop
07-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Oh yeah by the way, those fish were much larger than the pic shows! Seems like that always happens.