PDA

View Full Version : CDM/Newport 7-13-10

Amish Ed
07-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Launched at the regular spot at about 5:30am and paddled down to CDM. Tide was really low, water was clear and cold (61-62.5º), wind out of the E/SE at launch and W/NW at landing (11am).

Started fishing in the kelp off the point just north of Pelican PT (anyone know the name?) just as the sun came up. Yep, sun! In the morning! didn't get a single bite and after a 1/2hr I headed for the boilers. It took another 1/2hr to get a fish and it was a micro slime-stick. Eventually, I did pull a micro calico too. Then I got a nicer 2+.

Then I got a really nice one. It kicked my butt and took drag a bunch of times. I got it up and realized I really needed a net. The fish did probably 6 more drag taking runs before I finally got a good grip on him. It looked and felt like a 9+ coming into my lap, so I'm thinking it was really in the 7-8 range. It was big enough that laying across the yak its head and tail stuck out of the cockpit on both sides. I let out a pretty good yell when that one hit the deck. Plus, I did it on 10lb and pulled it out the rocks a couple times.

I eventually caught 11 or 12 calicoes with only one short. 3 or 4 were barely legals, but the rest were all over 2lbs. I never caught more than one fish off the same section of rocks. It was 1 fish for one boiler and then move on. I caught most of them using a Slead-head with either Zoom Super-flukes and MC 6" dropshot baits. I also caught a couple on a 3" Flurry (Gums). The MCs I used on the biggest Slead-head on 12lb.

I eventually ended up at little Corona and went into the harbor to try for some spotties. 1hr and 2 bites later I was on the beach, tired but very happy. While I didn't get my personal best today, it was my best in a few years. Good times.

steveooo
07-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Congrats on the toad Ed :cheers1:

yani
07-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Ed,

I'm jealous. That sounded like a great day on the
water. Plus having a toad in your lap, was the
icing on the cake. It's days like that, that keep us going!!