PDA

View Full Version : kayak launch sites

nmbrinkman
05-14-2006, 07:24 AM
I've been doing a little browsing and I've noticed some concerns regarding launch sites in central to northern california. I assume it's a northern california thing but I've seen some letters written to certain people via the internet and it is supported by the Kayak Fishing Association of Southern California (KFASC = Big Waters Edge, La Jolla Kayak Fishing, and a few other SoCal based organizations). Anybody got the skinny on this? For those who are can view pdf's and have a minute to read this document, here it is http://www.dfg.ca.gov/Mrd/mlpa/pdfs/comments/kfasc_030805.pdf

dbitte
05-14-2006, 09:14 AM
Wow, makes me want to take a trip up north.

PAL
05-17-2006, 06:04 AM
That document was put together in order to identify central and northern California launch sites to the Blue Ribbon Task Force (BRTF), the committee in charge of rolling out the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) Initiative. The MLPA is state law that requires establishment of a network of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) aka reserves in state waters. The network will run the length of the coast.

The process started in central California: Pigeon Pt to Pt Conception. Over the past year the BRTF has been assembling plans for that stretch of coast. There are some great kayak fishing launch sites under threat depending on which alternative wins out before the California Fish and Game Commission. If you want to fish the Carmel Pinnacles, go now (ok, as soon as rockfish opens there, which is July)! Most of Carmel Bay will probably be locked into an MPA. Spooner's Cove in Montana de Oro is also under threat. Southern Big Sur, which looked sure to be closed, is not a candidate for inclusion in an MPA.

What, me worry? Yes, SoCal is due to run through the same gauntlet, but not for a couple of years. Loss of at least some of the La Jolla kelp is something we'll have to fight.

You can follow the process at the Kayak Fishing Association of California website: www.kfaca.org The KFACA evolved from the KFASC. It's a small, grassroots organization formed to focus our political efforts. We had some success in central California, although not as much as we'd like. That process isn't over; we'll lobby the Fish and Game Comm in support of Monterey and San Luis Obispo kayak anglers.

nmbrinkman
05-17-2006, 09:33 AM
thanks for the info. keep us posted, the salty guys here probably already know but there are around 2 to 7 members joining BWE a day, most I assume don't know the info. Hopefully I can contribute and earn my keep
around here.