PDA

View Full Version : Pssssssst

jorluivil
09-03-2010, 12:58 PM
You going out this weekend?

My buddy just canceled on me, we were supposed to go out early morning on Sunday. Anyone doing a 2am or 3am launch? I don't mind going solo but would prefer to go out with a group. Except for that monster Batray that I caught a few weeks ago I'm fishless, 0 - 3 to be exact. I need to try my luck at the late night/early early early morning bite.

newguy01
09-03-2010, 09:55 PM
just a heads up make sure you have a compass or gps if you out early AM and its foggy. i went out this morning at 4 and its pea soup out there and todd he lunch before me and he came back 1hr later because he coulnt tell hes going. nice to meet you todd and thanks for the heads up pretty slow for me all day just 2 good size calico for monday. good luck

bmercury
09-04-2010, 01:05 AM
You know you are getting spoiled when catching a batray no longer counts. They are sure a lot of fun. Never tugged on one from a 'yak though.

dsafety
09-04-2010, 06:43 AM
just a heads up make sure you have a compass or gps if you out early AM and its foggy.

For those of us who do not carry a GPS or even a compass, there is a resource that some may forget they have with them. iPhones and most other smart phones have a compass app included. If your phone does not have this app, I am sure it can be downloaded for free.

Although I have not tried it, I bet that if you entered the address for the OEX shop at the shores in a smart phone's map app, you would probably be given a vector to this location along with your distance from the place. I will try to confirm this next time I go out unless someone beats me to it.

These apps could help you get home in an emergency.

Bob

jorluivil
09-04-2010, 12:30 PM
For those of us who do not carry a GPS or even a compass, there is a resource that some may forget they have with them. iPhones and most other smart phones have a compass app included. If your phone does not have this app, I am sure it can be downloaded for free.

Although I have not tried it, I bet that if you entered the address for the OEX shop at the shores in a smart phone's map app, you would probably be given a vector to this location along with your distance from the place. I will try to confirm this next time I go out unless someone beats me to it.

These apps could help you get home in an emergency.

Bob

Great idea!! I usually use Google maps on my phone but can also download a compass application. If calibrated, Google maps is accurate to with 5-10 feet so it wil help you get home.

blackcloud9
09-04-2010, 07:59 PM
"For those of us who do not carry a GPS or even a compass ..."

Really? Pea soup foggy but knowing where you are = Priceless.

Maybe it's just me, from my winter midnight hooping fog adventures and rockfishing and having a family, but my GPS seems well worth it. A little keychain compass is $7.50 at REI ....