PDA

View Full Version : Hooping isn't the only way to a monstah!

mo2vation
10-13-2010, 04:29 PM
We just walk in and grab 'em.

:biggrinjester:

-K

http://teamdyfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Monster-Lobster1.jpg

roadx
10-13-2010, 04:40 PM
NICE!!! why iam i hungry now?? :notworthy:

dfroggy54
10-13-2010, 06:55 PM
man, everytime I ask myself (should I go out tonight? or no?), I see a picture like this and it makes the decision for me:lobster:mmmmmm!

jorluivil
10-13-2010, 07:01 PM
It looks like its a bad lobster. Why don't you let me come pick it up and I'll make sure its disposed of properly.
NICE CATCH!!!

Jzo
10-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Wow! Enough said! :luxhello:

h2ofishfo
10-13-2010, 07:44 PM
man that looks good but doesnt that tail look small for the body size on that thing ?

mo2vation
10-14-2010, 05:53 AM
man that looks good but doesnt that tail look small for the body size on that thing ?

The body is like a Nerf football - albeit a very spiky and pokey one.

As we were diving, I see a foggy green light in the distance as I look up from what I considered to be a decent bug.

I bag the bug and sigh. This isn't diving, this is hunting, and the only time we signal each other when we're hunting is when there is something extraordinary. I'm thinking huge Nudi? Nah. I'm thinking new land mark? Nah. I'm thinking electric ray swimming? Nah. She's not out of gas... what's up?

I zip over, and she's making a large, slow circle on the sand with her light. There is bugzilla (looking about twice the size of the photo underwater) literally jogging along. I've never seen a running lobster, but there it was. And his mouth was full... he grabbed a bite and went for a jog.

I am not even joking.

So I look at her. Dette looks at me. I go, uh, well?

I blink, and she's going all Peter Sellers on this thing. We're talking Dr Strangeglove meets Rhinestone cowboy. I didn't know if she was trying to ride this thing or just saddle it up.

Silt is flying, Claudette has her knee on the thing, she's picking it up with both hands.... she's shaking it side to side and trying to maximize her grip and I swear I hear the thing talking to her like Frank the Pug was talking to Tommie Lee Jones in MIB.

I reach over through all this hubbub and unclip her bag. Its still rolled up on her chest D ring.

OK - so not only is this her first bug of the night (she hadn't seen one yet that was worthy of unfurling the bag), its her first bug of the season. So now I'm doubly jealous.

She dismounts Seabiscuit the bug, and tries to jam it into the bag I'm holding open. No way its going. She tries again, and then sort of gets behind the thing and shoves it into the bag with all the grace of a Kardashian sister stuffing herself into a leather jumpsuit.

Legs akimbo, antennae whipping about, the thing is croaking at us.

She gets it in.

WHEW.

So now I have the bag in my hands. This bag that can't eat another bite.

So I do what any caring buddy would do. I offer a trade. I unclip my lobster bag (which has one bug) and offer it to her. I mean, the night is young, baby. If she's gonna keep hunting she's gonna need a lobster bag, right?

Its how I roll. I'm a giver.

She shakes her head at my generous offer. So I insist. "Look, Chica - one roomy, nearly empty lobster bag for this busting full worthless lobster bag of yours.."

I hold out mine again, and she folds her arms and yells through her reg, "gimmie...."

*SIGH*

So now she's wrangling moby the rest of the night and I'm mueling her bugs. Oh yes - even though she was completely unable to stuff one more broken off leg into that bag, she continued to hunt.

Well, if by hunt you mean see a bug, flash your light, blink your eyes and wait for your personal bug valet to scoot over, pick it up, MEASURE IT, and stuff it into his bag for you.

Chica goes all Hollywood on me for the rest of the night.

Nice.

I did have the pleasure, however, of carrying all my bugs AND the rest of her bugs out through the surf in a bag so full I couldn't close it. Up hill, through the sand, up the stairs, to the truck - which was a fine workout.

I am your lobster personal shopper.

-Ken

jbm
10-14-2010, 07:24 AM
Love the narrative. Nice hunting!

herefishyfishy!
10-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Excellent read...great job to both of you on your harvest. If viz is good, the pickens have been good! Nice job!

Evan

Jzo
10-14-2010, 11:07 AM
The body is like a Nerf football - albeit a very spiky and pokey one...

-Ken

Thx for sharing, great read. :)

WahooUSMA
10-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Great read, and nice bug!

joeblo
10-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Great report!

Looks like I'm gonna have to try to get out there and freedive for them at night when I get brave enough :D

Sherm
10-14-2010, 01:01 PM

It looks like a male. Their tails are smaller than the females.

Very nice read.

mo2vation
10-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Great report!

Looks like I'm gonna have to try to get out there and freedive for them at night when I get brave enough :D

We're grabbing them between 60 and 85 FSW.

;)

Thanks, guys. She's a regular lurker here - its gonna crack her up to see her pic here as soon as she logs in tonight or tomorrow!

-K

Deamon
10-15-2010, 04:56 AM
Sweet bug. I was lucky enough to nail a big bug free diving a ways back. I was told if you ever get a big one, flip it around and let it hug your stomach/rib cage and it'll cling onto to you and settle down. Worked to perfection...then was able to swim it to my buddy who opened the game bag wide and slipped it in. Good job!

Gino
10-15-2010, 02:02 PM
The best report Ive read on here all year. Awsome!

How much did that beast weigh?

mo2vation
10-18-2010, 10:46 AM
The best report Ive read on here all year. Awsome!

How much did that beast weigh?

This one weighed 6 pounds, 4 ounces.

Thanks

:lobster:

-Ken

Riskey Water
10-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Congrats on the monster !!!! I like the bug huggin technique ,will have to try it the next time I am confronted with one of that magnitude. My best was 9lb 2 oz ,the beast was in a tide pool 4'x8' and 2' deep on a minus tide as I was heading out for my freedive ,pulled it out and went home ,saw no reason to go any farther felt like I was picking it out at the fish market.

hbdivegirl
10-21-2010, 08:26 PM
The best buddy in the world is a) highly skilled, b) fiercely competitive, and c) someone you hate to lose to.

And winning feels very very good.

:p

Of course the next two times, my personal bug shopper limited while I could only cheer from the nearly empty-bagged sidelines and offer to "Carry your bag to the car?"

This was the bug of my life... so far. :D

There was no room in my freezer for Monstro so not only did buddy help me bag this gorgeous beasty, he took it home with him for the Big Ice Nap, weighed it.... AND returned it to me later, in a total drug-deal hand-off in the parking lot of Macy's.

Step back, girls. I saw him first.

I still hate to lose.

Which is a good thing!

~~~~
Claudette