PDA

View Full Version : Question for Hobie owners

fongman
10-17-2010, 11:29 PM
When pedalling without a hand on the steering arm, has anyone noticed their Hobie will drift off its track? I was wondering if this is an isolated or common problem. A Hobie engineer told me, "There is a friction pad built into the steering handle which should be enough to hold the handle in position. If the steering feels loose and won’t hold position, try tightening up the steering lines a bit and that should help." The lines feel tight to me, but if others don't seem to have this problem, then I will have to have them checked out.

Thanks for your input.

Gigafish
10-18-2010, 12:45 AM
Yeah I know what you mean. I just figure that the kayak is more a peddle kayak than a paddle. The comparison to a paddle kayak is very poor as my kayak never stays straight.

j mo
10-18-2010, 07:04 AM
I had a similar issue, turned out that it just got out of alignment and needed to be "tuned up". I ended up taking the system apart and rerouting the rudder lines. I’m not sure if the spectra stretched out over time, but after rerouting I had about a 1/4 inch of slack. I retied, sprayed everything w silicon and toggled it back down. Worked better than ever. Paddles "OK" and no mechanism drift. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I assume you are pulling your drive out and using the well plug when paddling? If not that could be part of your issue as the drive can affect your boats ability to track when paddling... just my $.03<o:p></o:p>
If you haven’t seen this http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/Twist-n-Stow_Repair_Manual.pdf (http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/Twist-n-Stow_Repair_Manual.pdf)<o:p></o:p>
Not the best how-to manual but it’s what I used. But from your posts you are far more mechanically inclined than I.<o:p></o:p>
Best,<o:p></o:p>
Josh<o:p></o:p>

dsafety
10-18-2010, 12:48 PM
I have always noticed this problem, even when my boat was new. I do not think it has anything to do with an adjustment or flaw in the kayak design. These boats are very light. Your path can be easily changed by any number of things such as currents, waves or the most common influence, wind.

On a typical day, the wind is trying to turn you one direction while the current is pushing you another way and the ground swells are coming from a third direction. It is not surprising that you may need to make some steering adjustments with all this going on if you want to stay on a particular heading.

Tuning the rudder will help if your the lines have become too loose causing some play. You can also change the "center point" so you staring handle points where you want it to when in the neutral position.

I have the standard rudder. It would be interesting to know if those with the sailing rudder notice the same problem.

Bob

flydigital
10-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Yeah it drifts quite a bit on my revo ever since new. Following sea swell or chop nudges the rudder quite a bit. I like to paddle every now and then and I just move my thigh onto the handle to keep it into position. This is with sailing rudder.

805gregg
10-19-2010, 03:47 PM
That's why you have a rudder. Get the bigger sailing rudder, it helps.