PDA

View Full Version : Chumming?

tunaseeker
11-08-2010, 08:27 PM
I was wondering about chumming from the yak? It seems to me that if the commercial fisherman does it to attract the fish it wouldn’t be a bad idea for the yaker to give it a try. If you are trolling a mac in an oil slick I would think this may increase your chances of hooking up? Please share your experiences with this, thanks in advance…. :bigear:

Jimmyz123
11-08-2010, 09:39 PM
A trick I learned is get some fresh dead bait, hack them up into peaces and do as you are saying. Yes, you will attract some fishing up.

Handymansd
11-09-2010, 07:13 AM
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/[img]http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/jaws11.jpghttp://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/jaws11.jpg

Nuff said...

dfroggy54
11-09-2010, 07:14 AM
I wonder what would happen if you put unibutter on a greenback..haha
I think chumming chunks of baits might bring in the sharks though more than anything like Handyman said..
im sure chumming will bring the fish up..in the bay. I would try that in the bay where you can stay on the chum line longer. Those guys on the cattle boats throw out scoops and scoops of bait. If you really wanted to do it..maybe try a chum bucket with the holes drilled in it.

Jimmyz123
11-09-2010, 09:09 AM
I wonder what would happen if you put unibutter on a greenback..haha
I think chumming chunks of baits might bring in the sharks though more than anything like Handyman said..
im sure chumming will bring the fish up..in the bay. I would try that in the bay where you can stay on the chum line longer. Those guys on the cattle boats throw out scoops and scoops of bait. If you really wanted to do it..maybe try a chum bucket with the holes drilled in it.

Even though I supported this, the things that come to mind in the ocean are sharks, Sea Lions, and even sea turtles. The Chum bucket idea probably would work better, but it could, like other said could be a bad thing also.

old_rookie
11-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Let us know how it works for you. I'll watch by the sidelines.... <shark smiley>

Jimmyz123
11-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Let us know how it works for you. I'll watch by the sidelines.... <SHARK smiley>

Same here. I like fins that are from fish, and with the GWs that we have been seeing, I think I'll avoid the Chumline also.

Riskey Water
11-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I did the chum only once with a 4" PVC 12 " long , drilled with holes loaded up with mackeral on a 10' rope tied to a bouy thinking more about seals than sharks ,didn't want to tie it to the yak because of capsizing .30 mins later it took off like a frieght train then disappearred .Two days later it washed up on my beached chewed up with 3 shark teeth still stuck in the plastic !!! This was down in Mex 15 miles north of Ensenada 4 years ago .You can chum but you never know who you might invite to dinner .

Gino
11-09-2010, 12:45 PM
It works great if you want to catch Mr. T...

All youll do is catch alot of Threshers... not a good idea imo

tunaseeker
11-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Copy the great advice. I thought about the seals but forgot about the tax man! Guess I will stick to dragging those macs around in oil free areas! Appreciate the advice! :cheers1: