PDA

View Full Version : 5/30 Point Loma: Muy Bonita

Iceman
05-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Cris and I took a wrong turn and missed the monster croakers :D We launched from Mariners Point and headed out to the Point Loma kelp. Cris was hootin and hollering holding up calicos while I tryed to find some bait. We picked away at spanish and fed them all to the bonito. Most times they would do a driveby, clicker scream and drop. Slowly reeling in, they would get hit again and sometimes stick. My first one got really big as a sealion that I did not see, grabbed mine and took off. He won that one and threw it around for 15 minutes tearing it to bits. The next one for me was bounced on board as another sealion made an attempt to get this one. By then the sporties were out to relieve us of the catfood eating dogs. I could not get anything going on the rubber or metal and bait was tough, picking one up here and there, all spanish for me. Perfect weather out there. We ended up with about a 5 mile paddle in against some current and landed around noon. Cris ended the morning with the biggest fish, 9 1/2 pounder that was fun to watch, trying to wrap the rod around his yak. I had not fished Pt Loma in too long and enjoyed a little different shoreline for a change. Cris, Good fishing with ya!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/Iceman619/crisbonito_filtered.jpg

Dennis
05-30-2006, 07:10 PM
Huge bonies! :shock:

nmbrinkman
05-31-2006, 08:32 AM
this is my 1st season out here so I don't know the cycle. Ive noticed the bite beginning to pick up a species at a time. Bass, then barracuda, then bonita, do yellow follow or are they on their own program?

Dan
05-31-2006, 08:59 AM
[quote="Iceman"] By then the sporties were out to relieve us of the catfood eating dogs

Such Snobbery :D :lol:

Nice Big Bonito Cris.

madscientist
05-31-2006, 09:34 AM
this is my 1st season out here so I don't know the cycle. Ive noticed the bite beginning to pick up a species at a time. Bass, then barracuda, then bonita, do yellow follow or are they on their own program?

Last year it was all the 1-2# bonies you could want in Jan and Feb. Cuda came later. By this time last year the YT were in full swing. Hopefully they are coming soon, but I could wait if the WSB hang on a little longer.

Jim Sammons LJKF
05-31-2006, 10:06 AM
Those huge bones are a blast and one of my favortes to eat. Very nice. I fished with a Fly fishing client yesterday at LJ and we slammed the Calicos, he was on fire on the clouser. I did miss one WSB that went kamakazi on me, came at me to fast to get a good hook set.