PDA

View Full Version : Cabrillo 1/22/11

roby
01-23-2011, 06:50 AM
Got to Cabrillo at 6:10am and saw two other cars at the parking lot, Ron(?) and Greg. In the next 20 minutes stinkymatt, ericko, mtnbykr2, wiredantz, theluckypig, and Landwhale showed up. We all loaded up and were on the water before 7am. The weather was just fantastic and with the incoming tide the water looked decent. There were patches of debris, but nothing terrible. The wind cooperated and made for an absolutely gorgeous day.

Later on in the day we heard some other baytubers were on the water, specifically Kiyo.

I started fishing the point with mtbykr2. I caught a bass early on that ran into the kelp and lost it. I decide to get closer to the kelp...bad idea. My bait tank gets clogged and dies, and my rudder gets hung up. I'm pissed right now. I get free and and find some sand to work to find a halibut. After sending down one of my dying bait, I get bit and catch my first legal halibut. I unhook the halibut and send him back down. Ericko comes rolling in and catches a 27 inch halibut within 30 minutes - his PB on a kayak. Mtbykr2 catches a couple of shorty halibut and some bass while we check out the area for some more halibut. We make another move on the jetty into some deeper water with wiredantz. When we get there the sand bass started to bite. In total we all pulled in 6 bass or so in the first hour at that spot; the bass were decent sized as well.

We made our last drift towards the launch about noon. I met up with Greg and stinkymatt and fished for another 45 minutes or so. I headed in at 12:45.

One of my goals in 2010 was just to catch a legal halibut, so I was excited when I caught one at Cabrillo. My highlight of the day though was just fishing with some folks here on the board. Paddling with Greg in the morning and just getting to know him, watching ericko catch his pb, Landwhale's great attitude about kayak fishing in general, and meeting a baytuber in the parking lot and finding we have lot in common. Starting this trip there were some harsh words on stinkmatt's thread; it ended up with some real cool veterans, BWE members, and newbies (mainly me) having a good time on the water.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt285/shh77/Fishing/P1220003.jpg

Greg on the water in the AM

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt285/shh77/Fishing/P1220006.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt285/shh77/Fishing/P1220008.jpg

ericko's halibut...

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt285/shh77/Fishing/P1220013.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt285/shh77/Fishing/P1220011.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt285/shh77/Fishing/P1220009.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt285/shh77/Fishing/P1220010.jpg

Iceman
01-23-2011, 07:15 AM
great photos, nice eater Eric! looked like a fun way to spend the day.

bellcon
01-23-2011, 07:36 AM
:cheers1:
Good times
Great report
Congrats on the PB Eric

huntin4fish
01-23-2011, 07:45 AM
Quick question. Im just getting setup for yak fishin. Grew up in the southeast bass and trout fishing, Have basically ZERO saltwater fishing. I have bass and trout setups but what would be a good economical setup that could be used for Halibut rod, reel and line weight? Right now I intend to stick to inshore fishing until I get more comfortable with the yak and gear, Also I have a bunch of big hammer swimbaits, is that good just for bass or are you guys catching halibut off those also. Thanks in advance from the newbie :)

mtnbykr2
01-23-2011, 07:53 AM
thanks for the report and pics Roby,
I was a great time with alot of nice people, it's like Matt said earlier "it's friggin fishin" and that's exactly what went on in grand style yesterday.
I ended too quickly as most fishin trips do...nice to see you all out there,
A definate do over, thanks again to everyone who participated, I think this
could become a "thing"
what do you all think?....b:linesnap:

mtnbykr2
01-23-2011, 07:56 AM
Oh,
I didn't see you there welcome to the club...just hang around here awhile,
lots of good folks lots of info...sounds like you got a good start with tackle there, but let me warn you it only gets better, the you obsessed like the rest of us...lol

Iceman
01-23-2011, 08:48 AM
I think this
could become a "thing"
what do you all think?....b:linesnap:

You mean like a monthly get together/jackpot and maybe a pot luck afterward........ridiculous! :biggrinjester:

lbsurf2ca
01-23-2011, 08:58 AM
I grew up fishing and diving in this area. I can't wait to make a rerun trip.

paintnfish
01-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Somebody get this "Thing" together ! good to meet you all.
I got out before the real Memorial Madness kicked in.

wiredantz
01-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Here is the video camera picture, hunting4fish took of us, as we were setting out out to the sunrise.

Roby your neglected to mention your biggest catch up the day, I saw it with my own eye an enormous 14ft x-factor.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/darkmatrix84/Cabrillo.jpg

StinkyMatt
01-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Fun times boys. Lots of good folks, great info exchanged and sweet weather.....

When in Vegas ......I can't hit 21

Halibut fishing guess what is my most common number? 21

Matt

fishinkid2010
01-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Nice going! Looks like a lot of fun, with some nice weather.

Hunters Pa
01-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Quick question. Im just getting setup for yak fishin. Grew up in the southeast bass and trout fishing, Have basically ZERO saltwater fishing. I have bass and trout setups but what would be a good economical setup that could be used for Halibut rod, reel and line weight? Right now I intend to stick to inshore fishing until I get more comfortable with the yak and gear, Also I have a bunch of big hammer swimbaits, is that good just for bass or are you guys catching halibut off those also. Thanks in advance from the newbie :)

You'd probably benefit from starting a new thread, listing some of the heavier stuff you have & going from there. One of the nice things about yakfishing is that your yak is secondary drag, allowing you to go lighter. What do you have as far as 10#+ gear?

GregAndrew
01-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Nice day on the water. Great to meet some new faces. Might have been a little better without all that bright moon the few days prior, but still some fish to be had. Congrats on the yak PB Eric. It is a good thing that X-Factor was released, I think they are out of season. Matt, stay focused on 18 or 21, just switch pounds for inches.

roby
01-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Quick question. Im just getting setup for yak fishin. Grew up in the southeast bass and trout fishing, Have basically ZERO saltwater fishing. I have bass and trout setups but what would be a good economical setup that could be used for Halibut rod, reel and line weight? Right now I intend to stick to inshore fishing until I get more comfortable with the yak and gear, Also I have a bunch of big hammer swimbaits, is that good just for bass or are you guys catching halibut off those also. Thanks in advance from the newbie :)I agree with Hunters Pa. You should start a new thread. There are plenty of folks that can help and are more knowledgeable if you post in the "General Discussion." A quick response from me would be to get a combo that can handle 15-20lb. A Penn Jigmaster is a good all around reel.

You mean like a monthly get together/jackpot and maybe a pot luck afterward........ridiculous! :biggrinjester:Haha...I hope the Baytubers put on some more tournaments in Cabrillo.

Might have been a little better without all that bright moon the few days prior, but still some fish to be had.There were alot of shorts caught. I think theluckypig released two legals as well...

GregAndrew
01-23-2011, 08:17 PM
PedalGuy Rick took home a 27 or so incher also. And Heather, aka Mrs. LuckyPig caught a 23 for sure.

theluckypig
01-23-2011, 08:18 PM
it was a great day with you all! and just to be clear (because she complained...), theluckysow (heather) caught and released the two legals, her firsts for the year... i only managed shorts...

see you all out again asap!

ericko
01-23-2011, 08:26 PM
I HAVE MANY THANK YOU'S TO HAND OUT

1)Stinkymatt for setting the trip up and giving me shit for missing the dana trip cuz i had a running nose (i was just a puss and wanted to sleep cause i fished the day b4)

2)Roby your bait and showing me that there are fish in the sea to catch

3)Mtnbykr2 your ability to gaff my 27 inch butt and drag it all over the place cause dumb ass left his clip at home cause i never catch anything worth talking about.

4)Gregandrew for just being a cool dude and willing to give a helping hand(info) to bad it matt didn't listen

5)Wiredants its nice to see my old ride has found a good home...LET YOUR WIFE NO THAT IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT THAT YOU HAVE NOT COUGHT ANY FISH...I TO DID NOT CATCH ANY ON THAT YAK i just could not tell you to your face...you need to break the curse ill go fishing with you any day that im not working..

6)bellcon you were the only 1 that answered my 4? on the other post

7)Dad and step mom dad cleaning my fish and Pat for making an awsome dinner..

shit i look back at my day and all i did was catch the fish and ate it later..i dont think it gets any better...

so those that helped me out i owe you all a big thanks:)

LETS DO IT AGAIN

wiredantz
01-23-2011, 08:40 PM
5)Wiredants its nice to see my old ride has found a good home...LET YOUR WIFE NO THAT IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT THAT YOU HAVE NOT COUGHT ANY FISH...I TO DID NOT CATCH ANY ON THAT YAK i just could not tell you to your face...you need to break the curse ill go fishing with you any day that im not working..

LOL!!! I didn't expect that response in a 100 years!

I told my wife that my kayak was cursed and she burst out laughing and told me i can not get a third kayak.

I really need to break that curse, i have only been fishing for 2 months and the only fish i have caught was those suicidal mackerel on my sabiki rig in Newport Beach.

My wife also had a feeling that i was not going to catch anything and was waiting at home to go buy some fish tacos.

ful-rac
01-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Looks like you guys had fun! And congrats on the nice halibut ericko! You guys got to fish with the best, and it looks like it payed off! Too bad I couldn't make it...but the rockfishing this weekend was exellent!

Tony.

theluckypig
01-24-2011, 11:40 AM
there is evidence that heather was actually paddling...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/darkmatrix84/Cabrillo.jpg[/QUOTE]

JoeBeck
01-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Great pictures and thanks for the report. Congrats on the hali! Glad you guys all got out and had a great time :luxhello:

Fiskadoro
01-24-2011, 07:42 PM
ericko's halibut...

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt285/shh77/Fishing/P1220013.jpg

Flat white meat!! Sounds like you guys had a good time congrats!!

Jim

mtnbykr2
01-25-2011, 06:45 AM
I believe I will have another go at the sewer in 2 weeks, saturday Feb 5
if anyone wants to join me....b:reel:

ericko
01-25-2011, 07:22 AM
I will try and make it and will be happy to drag your fish all day

mtnbykr2
01-25-2011, 07:49 AM
you got it man I will take you up on that generous offer, your fish knocked me around awhile, so I would imagine a 30 or 40 might make for an exciting tow...lol:rolleyes:
I will have the Ausie with me, he is excited to fish it.

StinkyMatt
01-25-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm on a self imposed (yeah right, wifey) break from fishing for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure, but I think I saw a little crooked eye from the her last time I came home. Will not make the 5th. I may go out on Sunday morning, before football. Good luck boys.

wiredantz
01-25-2011, 07:05 PM
I'm on a self imposed (yeah right, wifey) break from fishing for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure, but I think I saw a little crooked eye from the her last time I came home. Will not make the 5th. I may go out on Sunday morning, before football. Good luck boys.

that is the look my wife gives me, when i bring no fish home. I told her hey i am pretty overweight and I need to exercise on my kayak. Would you prefer me not to do any exercise and have a heart attack? Fishing is just a bonus

hehehe, and that is how i get out. :the_finger: I will try to escape on Feb 5th, but i have to wait to next week to make sure.