PDA

View Full Version : Game clip question?

BrokeLoser
03-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Okay, just trying to understand.
You're out fishing, no 'fish' ice chest or ice bag....you intend to hang your catch over the edge of your yak on your clip but you're in sealion infested water. What do you do?

I ask this because I almost always catch and release but I intend to start keeping a few here and there, (this will help the justification to the mrs a bit....you married guys know what I'm talking about.) I typically fit the above scenario.

Fiskadoro
03-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Okay, just trying to understand.
You're out fishing, no 'fish' ice chest or ice bag....you intend to hang your catch over the edge of your yak on your clip but you're in sealion infested water. What do you do?

A game clip is a tool, but it's not necessarily a stringer. It just gives you a quick way to make a secure attachment to the fish, once in place you can do whatever you want with the fish.

I usually gaff my fish then clip them and cut the gills and let them bleed out. I then usually put a rope though the gills, tie that off remove the clip and then store the fish out of the sun. In my x-13 I put them in the forward fish hold. In my wood yak in the rear fish hold I built into it. In my mini-X I usually put them in the hull. So I don't really store fish hanging over the side on my clip, I just use it to get quick secure attachment to the fish until I can get it roped off and ready to put away.

Jim

bus kid
03-28-2011, 06:01 PM
I second what Jim says, drop them inside the hull. there was a video of wade getting attacked by a dog and post about how to make your own kill bag i will see if i can dig them up.

seal attack video
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=8925

YakMedic
03-28-2011, 06:23 PM
(this will help the justification to the mrs a bit....you married guys know what I'm talking about.) I typically fit the above scenario.

Oh trust me I know. My wife told our friends the other day that I never catch fish, She doesn't understand C&R and quite a few fish I dont want to take home to eat.

Besides I can catch a fish every leap year or so...:D

ODOGFISH
03-28-2011, 06:38 PM
... who catchs fish , hell I only :farmer: them ... another good option if you don't want the fish in the hull is a game bag ... never do I leave stuff hanging out :D ... ya never know how may be around to take it ;)

dsafety
03-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Oh trust me I know. My wife told our friends the other day that I never catch fish, She doesn't understand C&R and quite a few fish I dont want to take home to eat.

It can get worse than that. My wife sometimes makes the comments we have all heard about spending all this money on fishing gear and never bringing home fish. When I do bring something home, she is usually not in the mood for fish. "I don't want your fish smelling up the house" is one of the most common excuses.

After a few months, the fish is freezer burned and not very edible so it gets tossed out. You guessed it. That is when she says that it would be nice to have some fresh fish for dinner. Of course the freezer looks like Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard at that point. The next thing I know I am on my way to the store for some semi-fresh fish at $12.99 a pound.

As a guy who has been married for nearly 34 years I have bad news to pass on to all the newbies. This is normal and there is not much you can do about it.

Bob

TCS
03-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Hey BroLo, you've been asking some pretty good questions. Good stuff.

My answer:

Burlap bag, keep it wet. I don't like to rinse the inside of the kayak.

Unfortunately my fishing productivity is pretty low too.

GregAndrew
03-28-2011, 07:28 PM
I know a couple of guys that have gotten flipped by Sealions grabbing their game clipped Halibuts. I believe one got his Scotty rod mount ripped out of his yak in the process. Seems to only happen in tournaments though :confused:. Rule of thumb "when in doubt, take it out".

old_rookie
03-28-2011, 07:41 PM

My answer:

x2 - almost word for word too.

Regor
03-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Looking for a pseudo-fish bag? And save a few bucks?

I know it's not the same size/shape as a true fish bag, but it's also a whole bunch less moola.

At costco last week I got a "Giant flexible Cooler for $5.99.

Here is the identical bag at Amazon for you to read about since Costco doesn't have a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Density-Insulation-Giant-Flexible-Cooler/dp/B000H9KYBE

Measurements:
Holds up to 12 gallons. Keeps food cold / frozen items frozen for up to 5 hours

24" x 18"

Greg

fishsouthcounty
03-28-2011, 07:52 PM
yaaa dood keep em coming. great questions and great answers.

i was thinking the gunny sack thing too. just easy dip over the side anytime you wanna rehydrate the fish. Problem is id probably leave it in the rear well behind my milk crate and wonder if the bleeding process would attract the seals or any other unwated visitors as the blood leaked out the scupper holes??

BrokeLoser
03-28-2011, 07:59 PM

My answer:

Haha...I think that was the last of all my questions....well maybe.
This fishing from a kayak thing has me learning all over again...it's cool though.
As always, thanks for all the replies and suggestions...I'm almost ready to go pro...oh wait, I guess I still have to learn to catch fish.

467echo
03-28-2011, 09:34 PM
If we know what you fish off of maybe we could decribe where to put your catch a little easier. I think your first big one should go right on your lap as you smile all the way to the launch:D

fishsouthcounty
03-28-2011, 09:57 PM
If we know what you fish off of maybe we could decribe where to put your catch a little easier. I think your first big one should go right on your lap as you smile all the way to the launch:D

Well i am in a stealth12...i think brokes in a stealth14. so essentially that either leaves in the rear tank well or crawl up to the forward hatch. Ill probably be doing mostly catch n realease as i dont even really like eating fish. Bring some things home for my dad occasionally so i am not as worried about it i guess.

oneyedeer
08-09-2011, 02:21 PM
What if the fish is too big to fit in the hull? for example a huge thresher what's the best way to toll the sucker in? bad situation but a situation i want to be in

mtnbykr2
08-09-2011, 02:38 PM
What if the fish is too big to fit in the hull? for example a huge thresher what's the best way to toll the sucker in? bad situation but a situation i want to be in
From your mouth to Gods ears, sounds like I ain't the only one that's heard, all this money spent on equipment, and like D said 12.99 a pound...that's why we all are "addicts".
Loved this post great question, great answers, I think I need to go get me one of those costco deals though...thanks for the info:reel:

bus kid
08-09-2011, 02:52 PM
time to get a bigger boat
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8gciFoEbOA8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

oneyedeer
08-09-2011, 10:12 PM
"time to get a bigger boat"

LMAO...in due time my Brother

jorluivil
08-09-2011, 11:48 PM
What if the fish is too big to fit in the hull? bad situation but a situation i want to be in

Head in early with fish strapped down
Get tossed while landing
Lose some gear
Take pictures
Take more pictures
Check inventory
Confirm additional gear was lost
Take more pictures
Go home
Show off your catch
Buy more gear
Do it again the following week

maui jim
08-10-2011, 09:42 AM

Thats why I carry a filet knife, and 2 gallon zip lock bags
(you can find those at Big Lots) you can find them up to 3- 5 gallon, I use the larger ones for hunting, Turkeys fit good in a 3 gallon bag.. fold them up and place in a gallon size, below deck.

A wet SHAM WOW works well to cover you catch on deck, re-wet as needed on the semi sunny days, I use those instead of a sponge:cool:

But if it's a warm one down in the hull they go

Everytime you use it you'll say "Wow":D

I carry 2 of them. take up less room than a sponge, and hold a lot of water...:cool: and you can toss them in the washer..

Maybe Sham Wow will sponser me now....:eek:

Phatford
08-10-2011, 11:08 AM
I bought a Kill Bag that Slides right into the Nose of the Kayak. Keeps nice and cold with the Ice packs. First Priority for me is to keep the Fish as Pristine as possible. Cut the gills, bleed them out then into the Bag for me. I fish for fun but I also fish for food!

Sometimes I think more people are worried about keeping their beer cold! ha ha

Dean Machine
08-10-2011, 12:22 PM
A wet SHAM WOW works well to cover you catch on deck, re-wet as needed on the semi sunny days, I use those instead of a sponge:cool:

But if it's a warm one down in the hull they go

Everytime you use it you'll say "Wow":D

I carry 2 of them. take up less room than a sponge, and hold a lot of water...:cool: and you can toss them in the washer..

Maybe Sham Wow will sponser me now....:eek:

That's a good idea actually.

On a side note, I wonder if a slap chop would help process some of the fish too. Maybe good for ceviche :biggrinjester:. Oh and "Your gonna love my..."

mtnbykr2
08-10-2011, 04:37 PM
ordered my bag from amazon last night 19.95 thanks for the info guys, I know it was just a matter of time before something happened to the fish hangin on my clip:reel: