PDA

View Full Version : Braid in the bay?

yaknewb
03-30-2011, 10:44 PM
So i searchd the forum and didnt really find what i needed to know so il ask it. I jus picked up some Spiderwire-Ultracast invisibraid in 15 pound for the bays do i need to use a top shot or can i tie strait to the lure ? And what is the reason for the top shot is it mainly used if you wana use flurocarbon? Is a top shot needed if im only useing 15 Lb braid? Thanks for the info i know this has prop been coverd some were i just cant find it.

inshorefisher
03-30-2011, 11:37 PM
So i searchd the forum and didnt really find what i needed to know so il ask it. I jus picked up some Spiderwire-Ultracast invisibraid in 15 pound for the bays do i need to use a top shot or can i tie strait to the lure ? And what is the reason for the top shot is it mainly used if you wana use flurocarbon? Is a top shot needed if im only useing 15 Lb braid? Thanks for the info i know this has prop been coverd some were i just cant find it.

you can tie strait to the lure. braid is use to cut cost in the long run, kelp cutter, and more line in smaller reels to catch big fish...probably missing a few more reasons. others will add. top shot is needed when the fish is picky. some believe that it produces more bites. i don't use fluro all the time. only on picky bites.

i use mono and flurocarbon top shot. i use about 5-10' of topshot. image how long a 1000ft of 6lbs test will last.

jorluivil
03-31-2011, 12:09 AM

The top shot allows for some stretch when you're on a fish or about to hook a fish. Also the top shot can be replaced without having to replace all of the line. I like going straight braid when bottom fishing, it gives you a better feel for the bite. One of the reasons I really like braided line is the fact that unlike mono or flouro it has zero memory on it......it cost more but worth every penny. I have one reel thats going on five years with the same PowerPro line on it.

MrPatrick
03-31-2011, 05:28 AM
Go with a top shot of ten to twenty pound flouro in the bay. The larger line gets bit well. I like to use a topshot because mono and flouro knots are more secure than straight braid. And if you get hung up on that lost outboard the braid is a bitch to break off.

grey zone
03-31-2011, 08:01 AM
With light braid you can probably get away with straight tie as long as its not a crazy color. I like to use a leader because I think its more invisible but more important if you hang up and something is going to break I would want it to be the leader. On my bass set ups I use a solid ring and a 20-30 inch leader. I tie the ring to the spectra with a palomar knot and leave it there. I store my rod with the line through the guides and the ring at the tip. Its great using a line that does not have memory.