PDA

View Full Version : Oceanside Halibut

wms,Jr
04-04-2011, 02:44 PM
I'm in North County startin to fish off my sup, some one named Joe gave me some Leopard shark advice and made me realize I should be asking for Halibut advice. Where and when can I catch them around the harbor or pier.

jimbo
04-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Not sure what kind of advice you're looking for, but here's some basic advice. You want to present your bait on the bottom. The easiest way to go w/ live bait is to use a carolina rig w/ barrel sinker, swivel, flouro to hook. I use 30# for that setup for halibut. In shallow water, low current and wind, 2-3 oz weight should be enough. If deeper or faster moving water you need more weight to get to bottom. If you're not on the bottom, you're not halibut fishing. I like using anchovies or small sardines, but little macs will work too. Try to fish in sandy bottoms along the edge of structure including kelp, rocks, eel grass, or man-made structure (e.g., docks or sea-walls). They can move in pretty shallow - I've caught them in 4 feet of water, or out to about 80 ft deep. Halibut are ambush predators and typically not most voracious eaters at first. I usually wait until I feel them run a bit before putting reel in gear. When to fish...? If you're in a bay, be sure to fish when there is some tidal surge. Usually, before and after high tide (but not during slack tide) are good. Where to fish...? Well, hali holes are usually closely held. Give it try and see if you can find some. If you're catching shorts, you're on the right track. Good luck.

wms,Jr
04-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Thank you Jimbo, i will try your advice around O'side harbor and the pier, I just picked up some flourocarbon and cant wait to try it. whats the difference between a California Halibut and a Pacific Halibut, i see the regs are different.

CalicoCody
04-05-2011, 10:27 PM
whats the difference between a California Halibut and a Pacific Halibut, i see the regs are different.

Pacific Halibut are the kind they get in Alaska, they get huge, and I am pretty sure its near impossible to find them this far south. The pacific halibut is more diamond shaped than the california halibut, which is more oval-shaped.

Pacific Halibut
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/images/mspc152.jpg

California Halibut
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/images/mspc146.jpg

wms,Jr
04-06-2011, 07:19 AM
thanks, now i wont accidentally get arrested, well that assumes I finally catch a stinkin fish!!!!