Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Shark encounter - what to do (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=26994)

dmrides 09-09-2015 06:18 AM

And turn of your FF, they are attracted to the pinging.

As has been said before, if you're going to get attacked you will never see it coming. If you see the shark circling you, bumping you, or even mouthing your yak, they are curious and not attacking you. Stay calm and enjoy the show. Do not feed them or hit them. Don't F with sharks and they won't F with you.

kjsdad619 09-09-2015 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cbad Mike (Post 241413)
Don't smack it or you will be the one statistic under the "provoked attack" column.
Just keep paddling. They are curious and hungry nuisances just like the seals except they have fins.
Either they will get bored and leave or they will hang around long enough for you to get bored of them.
Take a deep breath and enjoy the encounter.
Relax and get some cool video but DONT promote it or go to the news.
If you do somehow find yourself getting eaten try to get swallowed whole and head first then just swim out his butthole.
In either case you'll be fine....
I promise.

Mike, best advice ever!!:you_rock:

WARRIORMIKE 09-09-2015 07:19 AM

What about jumping on top of them and wrestling them? Has that ever worked?

momo fish 09-09-2015 07:28 AM

Sometimes it works..

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09...d065ad0915.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by WARRIORMIKE (Post 241429)
What about jumping on top of them and wrestling them? Has that ever worked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deamon 09-09-2015 07:37 AM

Darwin's theory usually takes care of ass wipes like BabySharkBoy. I wouldn't doubt if this idiot hooked and tired this baby shark out first. What a Jackoff. Jim

TINCANYAK 09-09-2015 10:50 AM

Was in the situation solo three weeks ago and posted here to mixed replies. It is a magnificent experience that will test your composure. Paddling faster is pointless. Bumping will let you know he has arrived via your trail. Keep your yak clean leaving no slick. I had contractor bag but did not use it that day....use it. Seems hitting it will only agitate him, so I did not. Talking to him is therapeutic. Praying is subjective unless you end up in the water, then yes, pray. At some point he will leave and you will continue on in awe, intact and a bit wiser.
John

GregAndrew 09-09-2015 01:58 PM

Unless there is a boat or shoreline within easy reach, there is not much sense in trying to get away. As has been stated, you are not going to outrun any shark. And you will probably get it more excited by trying to scurry away.
DO NOT feed them your bait. Our bait is not large enough to slow the ones we have to be concerned with down it the least. And it helps to promote their bad behavior of searching for food around kayaks. Feeding your dead bait to Seagulls is far better in the long run than throwing it overboard when you know Sharks or Sea lions are around. If you don't see a Seagull flying above you, give it 30 seconds or so. Hell, most of the time you can even call them in.
Using your paddle (for sound or striking) should be only in the event that the shark is persistent and/or already nibbling on your yak. Two of the 3 possible outcomes from this are probably not good for you. They can be scared off (good), pissed off or excited (not good).
If sharks had arms and hands, they would reach out and test things with their fingers. Since they don't, it is either bite or bump. So just imagine them saying "OOOOh, what is that?" next time you get bumped. Nobody has ever been treated for a shark kayak bump (that I have heard of).

Mr. NiceGuy 09-09-2015 02:02 PM

Would an expandable baton be useful as a deterrent?

Hunters Pa 09-09-2015 02:13 PM

[QUOTE=GregAndrew;241465]Unless there is a boat or shoreline within easy reach, there is not much sense in trying to get away. As has been stated, you are not going to outrun any shark. QUOTE]

Don't need to outrun it. Just need to outrun the slowest person out there.

Kidding, of course.

Call in another kayayer, or 5, if possible. Safety in numbers and better to have aid at hand if something goes horribly wrong.

YakDout 09-09-2015 05:04 PM

This is what id go with...

http://www.billsbangsticks.com/44-Ma...head_p_18.html

Maybe the 12 gauge round for backup.

Mwhitcraft 09-09-2015 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 241487)
This is what id go with...

http://www.billsbangsticks.com/44-Ma...head_p_18.html

Maybe the 12 gauge round for backup.

I've considered getting a bangstick, just in case. I've shied away from the idea due to fear of accidentally shooting my leg off if I flip or get jostled too much. In a kayak, you are more likely to bump the firing end than you are when diving.

How secure is the safety on these? Does anyone know how likely they are to misfire? How difficult is it to remove the safety in case of an emergency?

Harry Hill 09-09-2015 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just nail the bastardAttachment 16837

YakDout 09-09-2015 05:48 PM

I was kidding. I would also never bring one of those on a kayak. Boat ? Maybe. The safety is pulling a rigid pin out and the spring on the end of the stick just need to have a certain amount of pressure to set off the round.

For a short time when I had just started out kayak fishing I was intimidated of the sharks out there. Now, I try to pull out the gopro and video them. And make sure the first thing I do is call channel 8 news and text them the video.

I'm going to say you have a greater likelihood of getting struck by lightening or dying in a plane crash. And what can you do? When your number gets called, there isn't a way to get out of it, no matter how it may happen.

John Doe 09-09-2015 08:35 PM

How about taking a stack of D-cell batteries, putting them in a mesh bag, tie a line to it & throwing it overboard??? Anyone ever tried that?

If that wouldn't do it get a Fido-Shock run the wire thru the water, turn it on high & I bet he never comes back:)

Irishman 09-09-2015 08:40 PM

My experience about a month ago with Mr. big head was as follows...
Turn off all electronics, including intake to bait tank, swing transducer back into kayak, retrieve bait, communicate to nearby yakkers I have HH on my tail. Watch and no loose limbs in water, vhf secured to life jacket, paddle and enjoy the trip to another area of water

maquinapescado 09-09-2015 09:23 PM

Get your heaviest rod and biggest bait ready. Maybe you can train him to tow you to the secret spot.

Mwhitcraft 09-09-2015 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian (Post 241515)
Get your heaviest rod and biggest bait ready. Maybe you can train him to tow you to the secret spot.

That actually sounds pretty fun

bigbarrels 09-10-2015 01:01 AM

rub your mangina cream on in a semi-circular pattern, they hate it when it is applied like that. Then do what everyone else suggested

tacmik 09-10-2015 03:35 PM

I have a picture of my mother in law on the bottom of my yak. Scares the crap out of sharks.

jpp9565 09-10-2015 07:54 PM

So great! I gotta try that! A little scared the fish might all run out of the sea like an old Casper cartoon.