Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Newport, 3-10-16 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=28461)

Southman 03-10-2016 11:10 PM

Thanks for the report Ed. I managed to hit Newport bay yesterday (Wed.). Didn't arrive until about 10:30 a.m. Launched at the CG station.

Met 2 guys coming in from fishing. One guy managed 2 small cudas I think by the kelp off Corona. He also had 2 small bass of some kind.

Super high tide on arrival then as I fished, the outgoing tide was really moving. The fish I got all seemed to be located just off the main really fast current. It was easy to see where the current tailed off by the debris that swirled around. All fish caught we not in that fast current.

Fished the buoy line up towards little Corona, then back down to the moored boats by the CG station. Managed 5 bass - 2 spoties, 1 calico, 2 sandies. No keepers but one of the sandies was close.
All caught on 4" big hammers in Christmas tree color with small lead head.

I'll be curious to hear how you guys do if you hit up Dana Pt.

Orca Winfrey 03-11-2016 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Legacy (Post 255562)
That would be cool, thanks. From what I understand they're doing some dredging that is supposed to last a few months; I hope this is inaccurate!

The baby beach is being dredged, but we launched from the docks and no one minded.

Dave Legacy 03-11-2016 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey (Post 255580)
The baby beach is being dredged, but we launched from the docks and no one minded.

Oh cool, my aunt has been launching her SUP from the docks, but I wasn't sure if dropping a kayak in the water would be ok. Thanks for the info.

lopro 03-11-2016 09:10 AM

Thanks for your report. Fished hh the same day and same story, short bites and the one fish I hooked came loose. Nothing much to report. Still fun though.

Fairly new fishing off the kayak but have been hoping to try dana pt sometime. What day were you fishing next week? Mind if paddle out with you guys? Thanks

Amish Ed 03-12-2016 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southman (Post 255564)
Thanks for the report Ed. I managed to hit Newport bay yesterday (Wed.). Didn't arrive until about 10:30 a.m. Launched at the CG station.

Met 2 guys coming in from fishing. One guy managed 2 small cudas I think by the kelp off Corona. He also had 2 small bass of some kind.

Super high tide on arrival then as I fished, the outgoing tide was really moving. The fish I got all seemed to be located just off the main really fast current. It was easy to see where the current tailed off by the debris that swirled around. All fish caught we not in that fast current.

Fished the buoy line up towards little Corona, then back down to the moored boats by the CG station. Managed 5 bass - 2 spoties, 1 calico, 2 sandies. No keepers but one of the sandies was close.
All caught on 4" big hammers in Christmas tree color with small lead head.

I'll be curious to hear how you guys do if you hit up Dana Pt.

Glad you found a few.

Silbaugh4liberty 03-12-2016 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey (Post 255580)

When did this start? I launched there on Sunday 2/28, and nothing was happening then at kids beach.

Orca Winfrey 03-12-2016 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty (Post 255736)
When did this start? I launched there on Sunday 2/28, and nothing was happening then at kids beach.

Not sure when the dredging started at the DPH baby beach, but when we went out two weekends ago, the beach was excavated to replace the sand and there were signs saying to use the docks for launching which we did. It was a slow day at the sewer line. I only managed one Calico. King Saba got at least two. No keepers. All on squid strips on a dropper. No pelagics spotted.

Silbaugh4liberty 03-12-2016 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey (Post 255741)
Not sure when the dredging started at the DPH baby beach, but when we went out two weekends ago, the beach was excavated to replace the sand and there were signs saying to use the docks for launching which we did. Is was a slow day at the sewer line. I only managed one Calico. King Saba got at least two. No keepers. all on squid strips on a dropper. No pelagics spotted.

Oh my bad, I was thinking of Newport. You're talking about Dana Point.

Orca Winfrey 03-12-2016 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty (Post 255745)
Oh my bad, I was thinking of Newport. You're talking about Dana Point.

No problem. I should have been more clear.