Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Worst La Jolla report ever. 9.15.18 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=33444)

JohnMckroidJr 09-18-2018 12:06 PM

Kudos to those who responded to this traumatic tragedy for handling it well. Grave Condolence for Dave's dad and family.

Raskal311 09-18-2018 12:09 PM

This brings chills to my spine and as a father and a kayaker I am at lost for word.

My thoughts are with you and your son John.

PAL 09-18-2018 12:34 PM

John, so very sorry to hear of Dave's sad condition. I've walked this road as a father. It's a tough one to say the least. If there's anything we can do as a community to help, please let us know. Our hearts are with Dave, you and the rest of your family and all of Dave's friends.

Something to think about at this unthinkable time. When my son James passed, he gave the gift of life to several people and medically helped dozens more through organ and tissue donation. We'd much rather have him with us, but we are proud of our son's legacy.

h2ofishfo 09-18-2018 01:22 PM

Geeez man of all the places for a heart ailment to show itself . Prayers to your family .

Kayak_Bernie 09-18-2018 01:25 PM

I met David only once but I still wanted to offer my heartfelt and sincere condolences for you and your family during these terrible times.

Our community is here to support you, please just ask, and we will do everything we can to make it happen.

I know it comes with little solace but at least he was doing something he loved with his last moments on earth. David's soul will be forever tied to the place that we ALL love so much, each time we visit rest assured that Dave will be watching over this community and the place he loved so much. We should all be so lucky to be doing something we love when our time comes.

My wife is a Genetic Professional at UCSD Hospital so if you have any questions regarding congenital heart defects PM me and I will be happy to get her professional opinion for you.

If the words Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy are being listed as potential cause, then you should ask to see a genetic counselor, they can help you figure out if anyone else in the family is at risk for the genetic condition.

Again, so sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers are with you

Tman 09-18-2018 03:17 PM

John,

Such sad news to hear, I hope you and your family stay strong at a time like this, our deepest condolences to you, your family, and Dave's friends.

The efforts of those that pulled him out of the water, much respect.

momo fish 09-18-2018 04:32 PM

Dave..

So sorry for your loss.. as a father I can’t even begin to imagine the pain of your loss and anything you need this community will be here with our support ..

Davesdad 09-18-2018 04:36 PM

Thanks everybody for the kind words and your thoughts.This morning Dave was declared brain dead and is still on life support awaiting the recipients for organ donation.This is a blow to me and it's so tough i don't know how to handle it other than to reach out to those that helped and are concerned.They think he may have had a heart condition that causes a weird heartbeat and lack of blood flow which can cause fainting.We're just not sure yet.Thank you guys for the support,i need it.

Davesdad 09-18-2018 04:48 PM

I thought i saw a post where somebody said they would be at the Shores at 5 am Saturday,now i can't find it.I'm a little disoriented right now.I will be there before 5.Somebody also mentioned sharing this on facebook,yes it's ok with me.I'm still learning to navigate this site.

Gigafish 09-18-2018 05:43 PM

My deepest sympathies go out to you and your family. Strength and guidance. Very difficult to process. Stay strong.

jbl_91762 09-18-2018 06:38 PM

Thank you John for informing us about your son Dave. After hearing about the accident I prayed and wished he would be ok. I will continue to pray for you, your family and of course Dave.

NICKWORN 09-18-2018 06:41 PM

Condolences

Sorry to hear about your loss, tough to hear one of our brothers has lost his life in this tragedy!!

I shared a FB post with the gofundme with our east coast brothers-South Florida Kayak Fishing Club as they had heard of the news and wanted to be updated! It just goes to show the brotherhood involved in this passion we all share!

Rest in Paradise David!!

Biggameaddict 09-18-2018 06:50 PM

Sorry you had to experience this as a father. My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

stevie951 09-18-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NICKWORN (Post 297131)

I shared a FB post with the gofundme with our east coast brothers

Rest in Paradise David!!

GoFundMe for this gentleman and his family? Can we get the information here?

Have not seen such.. would love to donate to the family and or whatever charity they prefer..

makobob 09-18-2018 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevie951 (Post 297134)
GoFundMe for this gentleman and his family? Can we get the information here?

Have not seen such.. would love to donate to the family and or whatever charity they prefer..

Please try SDKF there is a GoFundMe, please support if you can. Thank you.

Hunters Pa 09-18-2018 08:26 PM

I am at a loss for what to say that may bring any comfort. We are a close family that transcends demographics to pursue our passion. What affects one of us hits us all to varying degrees, regardless of whether we were personally close

As previously said, let us know if there is anything that we can do. A paddle out?

Someone please post the link to the gofundme here. I tried searching for SDKF and did not come up with anything.

Paddle on, brother.

NICKWORN 09-18-2018 08:28 PM

Link posted

Separate thread

LEEZO 09-18-2018 08:34 PM

My heart goes out to you and family as well. Hang in there throughout this process and know you have enormous support.

easyday 09-18-2018 10:42 PM

I know it’s been said many times, but i offer my condolences and again as many before have said if there’s anything at all that you or your family needs please reach out. This community will do anything possible to help!

Davesdad 09-19-2018 05:34 AM

Thank you guys for the support.Even though i break down and cry every time i read through this it is so comforting to know that Dave and our family have the support.I'm speaking for his mother,stepmom,two sisters,aunts,uncles and grandparents that have read these kind words from all of you.This helps us a lot.

Margarita Mike 09-19-2018 05:45 AM

Prayers to you and your family, Like Andy the " Iceman " has said we are all here for you. Again, wishing the best.

Tekniks 09-19-2018 06:04 AM

condolences! and prayers for your fam

BenCantrell 09-19-2018 06:35 AM

Davesdad, I'm so sorry for you loss.

Master-baiter 09-19-2018 08:13 AM

Worst La Jolla report ever. 9.15.18

Like some, I did not know Dave but I have seen him at La Jolla, either on the beach or on the water. Like the rest of this community, it saddens me and I am so sorry to hear and I cannot imagine the hardship you and your family are going through. My deepest sympathy to the family and hope that someday you find peace and comfort.

Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fresh to salt 09-19-2018 10:12 AM

Davesdad, I am so sorry to hear about this terrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with your family right now as I try to hold back tears at work...

Orca Winfrey 09-19-2018 11:10 AM

Hi Dave’s dad. I’m very sorry about your son please take care.

Sdspeed 09-19-2018 01:26 PM

Dave's Dad, My family sends it's heart felt prayers and condolences with the hope that the great memories of your son will ease the pain in this tragic time.
Rory B.

Sivak 09-19-2018 01:59 PM

John:

Sooooooooo sorry this happened. What a tragic life changing event. Your description of Dave sounds like anyone of us competitive kayak fisherman. I never met Dave but I can tell you he would certainly not want you or your family to be sad at this time. There's no question he would want the best for all of you.

To the rescue effort group - good on all of you!

I don't understand why these things happen... Heart breaking story

RIP Dave, we will always remember you.

DESTROYER 09-19-2018 04:29 PM

We have had some great tragedies over the past 20 years within the kayak community. Even though I don't kayak fish any longer I will always consider myself part of the kayak community. We have always pulled together and helped each other out in hard times. I know you all did when my Dad got sick.

John-

I did not know your son but like him I Love Fishing. I've always said when its my time to go I hope I'm on the water. As a father to young ones I can't even imagine. Please know that we are here to help in anyway possible. My thoughts go out to you and your family.

Much Love- Matt Moyer

Amish Ed 09-19-2018 05:38 PM

John, I too did not have the pleasure of meeting Dave. But, I cried when I read of the decision you had to make. As a father, I can't imagine what you are going through. We are all here for you and thank you for keeping us updated.

FISH11 09-19-2018 05:41 PM

I was taken by the response, within this wonderful community, on the tragedy that took Dave. I can't remember the last time a thread had over 5,000 views in such a short time. I'm not sure if I talked to Dave at LJ before, but he is very familiar and most of us meet many fellow kayak fisherman. I usually fish alone or meet people I know once on the water. To me La Jolla has special memories since I lived there in the early 60's, went to and graduated from La Jolla High. When I was young I walked all over the coast there and fishing many areas, around LJ. Now I enjoy the view of all the places I lived or fished in LJ, but from the different perspective of being on the water looking back to shore and I can't think of a finer place. I often have thought that's were I want my ashes spread. 2 1/2 years ago my Dad passed away and he also loved LJ. So when it was time I took his ashes and spread them from my kayak in the beautiful water off La Jolla. He's with me every trip I fish La Jolla as so many others that have chosen the same area to have their ashes scattered.

fishwrap 09-19-2018 05:49 PM

Daves dad

Dave's dad Sorry to hear of Dave's tragic accident. My prayers go out to you and your family. Hope you and your family stay strong.

On-The-Prowl 09-19-2018 06:55 PM

Very sad. My condolences to you and your family.

Davesdad 09-19-2018 06:59 PM

I need to tell ALL OF YOU how much these replies have helped my family out.Everybody in my family is visiting this site to read these replies and they've all said it helps so much in taking away some pain.I never expected this and boy does it help.We're hoping some of you are fishing Saturday morning.Some of us (family) are coming down to the shores to say thanks and wish you a great day on the water.:jig:

newportdogs 09-19-2018 07:12 PM

Dave's Dad and Family, I am so, so sorry for your loss. RIP David

fishfoo 09-19-2018 07:20 PM

R.I.P. DAVE MAY THE FISHING GODS SMILE UPON YOU

Sheephead 09-19-2018 09:00 PM

Apologies for your loss. Unfortunately Dave and I haven't met but it would've been cool to have another regular on my fishing buddy list. He sounds like a genuine guy. I'm sorry If I wasn't able to help Dave as much as I could have that day, the location of his incident prevented me from thinking anything serious was going on and I was stunned when I came in contact with him and the rescuers. The lifeguards had mentioned they were taking his kayak and gear to the Scripps yard... where ever that is but I wanted to let you know in case they weren't able to.

Markn 09-19-2018 09:10 PM

My mom was the recipient of a lung transplant. It prolonged her life for many more years and gave our children the opportunity for them to know their grandmother and for her to see her grand children grow up into the outstanding people that they are today. Please know that Daves gift will do untold amounts of good to many families and affect their lives in a most positive manner. His passing is a tragedy that must be nearly unbearable but please take some solace in the selfless contribution your son has made to saving and improving other peoples lives with his donation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesdad (Post 297125)
Thanks everybody for the kind words and your thoughts.This morning Dave was declared brain dead and is still on life support awaiting the recipients for organ donation.This is a blow to me and it's so tough i don't know how to handle it other than to reach out to those that helped and are concerned.They think he may have had a heart condition that causes a weird heartbeat and lack of blood flow which can cause fainting.We're just not sure yet.Thank you guys for the support,i need it.

Mark

Cbad Mike 09-19-2018 09:58 PM

News of the event traveled quickly through the community and I never gave up hope that all would end well and we would remember this as only a close call.
I am so sad and sorry for his family's and friend's loss.

radastaff 09-20-2018 07:37 AM

Yesterday it was butterflys in the pit of my stomach.

All of our souls weigh heavier on this day.

So sad, so sad.

I did not know Dave,
but it does not matter, we are one
this community.

P