Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   An Email from NOAA Recreational Fisheries Coordinator (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=25340)

YakDout 04-27-2015 05:07 PM

Carifornia row anyone???

chris138 04-27-2015 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 226402)
So limit the guys who do it for fun a couple times a year and catch .05% of the population? Makes sense :rolleyes:

So do nothing? What are you proposing? Or are you part of the "not in my lifetime" camp? No one is stopping you from catching as much bluefin as you want, you just have to release them after you get two. Is that really such a huge sacrifice for you? If you kept more than two decent sized BF, I'd bet $100 it would just sit in your freezer for six months and be catfood grade by the time you got around to eating it anyway!

Look I'm not trying to make enemies or piss people off. I just don't get why a bunch redneck kayak fishermen (myself included here) think they know more than scientists who have devoted their entire lives to understanding marine ecology and climate. The folks at fisheries aren't eco-nazis... Many of them are avid anglers themselves. Just recently I had dinner with a former director of fisheries. This person was so excited and stoked to see pictures and hear stories of fish that I had caught. They love the ocean and want to make it accessible to all of us, especially our future generations. Who do you think will be able to limit the evil commercial fisherman anyway? A bunch of disgruntled kayakers?

chris138 04-27-2015 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 226406)
Honestly, my opinion is that most of our BFT catch is going here...

Attachment 15337

Lol that's great right there

YakDout 04-27-2015 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris138 (Post 226408)
So do nothing? What are you proposing? Or are you part of the "not in my lifetime" camp? No one is stopping you from catching as much bluefin as you want, you just have to release them after you get two. Is that really such a huge sacrifice for you? If you kept more than two decent sized BF, I'd bet $100 it would just sit in your freezer for six months and be catfood grade by the time you got around to eating it anyway!

Look I'm not trying to make enemies or piss people off. I just don't get why a bunch redneck kayak fishermen (myself included here) think they know more than scientists who have devoted their entire lives to understanding marine ecology and climate. The folks at fisheries aren't eco-nazis... Many of them are avid anglers themselves. Just recently I had dinner with a former director of fisheries. This person was so excited and stoked to see pictures and hear stories of fish that I had caught. They love the ocean and want to make it accessible to all of us, especially our future generations. Who do you think will be able to limit the evil commercial fisherman anyway? A bunch of disgruntled kayakers?

I do agree with you that a couple kayak fisherman will not sway any commercial fisherman from doing what they do. And I'm definitely not one who thinks I'm living in my lifetime so screw younger generations. After all, I will have kids, grandkids, and so forth and would want them all to have every experience that I had and maybe better. I also agree that catching that much bluefin tuna for one person may eventually lead to some waste. I've come back from 3 day charters looking at my phone and waiting for that service to come in so I can make calls and dump some fresh fish with family and friends. Actually, I enjoy giving this fish away more than I do eating it myself. And I love seafood. The point that I was trying to make is that even while limiting recreational fisherman, the commercial guys will still be doing their jobs. Not saying that anyone can do one thing about the fishing that takes place in international waters, but I just don't feel that I personally take a whole lot out of BFT fishery.

bubblehide 04-27-2015 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saba Slayer (Post 226353)
For all you experts on global warming and fishing... ... ...those of us on BWE already know you're an expert on all affairs, political and worldly!

Jim, I've been called names before, but never like this.

But hey, the rest is spot on buddy!

chris138 04-27-2015 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saba Slayer (Post 226353)
For all you experts on global warming and fishing...please make your comment where it will count...those of us on BWE already know you're an expert on all affairs, political and worldly!

We now have an opportunity to comment on the proposed recreational bluefin tuna regulations for 2015-2016.
Many of us are familiar with the Pacific Fishery Management Council process that decided on a compromise
approach to reducing recreational bluefin tuna catches in the Eastern Pacific. What many of us may not know is that
this compromise has not yet been officially made into law. First, a comment period is required. This will likely give the folks that would like to see all recreational bluefin fishing stopped completely a final chance to have their way.
It would be greatly appreciated if you all could go online to the following website; http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa....shing_wcr.html

and then click on http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2015-0029-0001 to read background and the text of the rule.

Then click on...

http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketD...NMFS-2015-0029
This will bring up the comment page that you can make your thoughts known on this subject.

This is really important and will make a big difference in whether we will be able to fish bluefin tuna off California this year!

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...ker_CMYK-2.jpg

Comment sent, thanks for the link.

http://i.imgur.com/8k6QnwDl.jpg

Saba Slayer 04-27-2015 07:13 PM

No One In Particular

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubblehide (Post 226413)
Jim, I've been called names before, but never like this.

But hey, the rest is spot on buddy!

My post was not meant for any one expert in particular on fishing or global warming...

ful-rac 04-27-2015 07:31 PM

Just commented....

I gave'm hell!

bubblehide 04-27-2015 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saba Slayer (Post 226417)
My post was not meant for any one expert in particular on fishing or global warming...

No worries Jim, I was just having fun with it, while trying to bring a little attention back to your links.

GregAndrew 04-27-2015 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris138 (Post 226389)
Nobody forced you to read this thread. Seems like you clicked it on your own, Greg. Or are you just looking to insult everybody involved and contribute nothing to the conversation?

The only joke around here is the utter lack of a productive dialogue. Thank you lipripper for speaking your mind and taking the time to support your opinions!

I did click on the link for "reduced BFT limits" it is true. That does not mean that I want to wade through a bunch of personal opinion spouted as fact about other far reaching topics. Comparing those that don't believe the way you do to "Rednecks" is not productive to any of those topics. Nor, in my opinion, is comparing someone pointing out that an organization (NOAA) "fudging" numbers is comparable to saying that they (NOAA) would lie about a life threatening situation ("Category 5 Hurricane"). Contrary to your accusation that I am trying to "insult everybody involved", most of the other posts and several of your ideas are constructive.

There are probably a lot of people in the fishery management business to do just that "manage the fishery". But if you don't believe that there are others there, in this day and age, that want to protect all wildlife from all take activities, I believe you might have blinders on (but I will concede that this is just opinion).

I don't mind a good debate on an issue, but I have never seen it happen on the Internet. A good debate requires much more back and forth than is usually capable on a forum before the "Mob Mentality" takes over.

I would love to see some hard numbers on the proportion of BFT caught by recreational anglers between the border and Santa Barbara to the take in the entire Pacific. Those numbers, I would hope, would be "facts". Giving an opinion on what those numbers might mean without having the real numbers is just that Opinion. Unfortunately, today opinion trumps fact too often because of the way it is marketed.

For the record, I would be considered pretty liberal when it comes to catch limits. Other than a few times when the WSB limit was 1, I don't remember having caught and kept a limit of any fish except stocked Trout. If the numbers showed that there was any reasonable chance that reducing the limit from 10 to 2 BFT in this tiny zone would help, I would be all for it.

PapaDave 04-28-2015 07:59 AM

I'm not real sure how much this regulation will effect most anglers. Last time I caught a blue fin was on an 8 day trip two years ago.

Personally, for one trip, two blue fins are plenty for me.

I do think that if we are to be regulated that restrictively that the commercial interests should be also.

Hey! Who has the popcorn!?!?

jorluivil 04-28-2015 08:13 AM

this thread is like Herpes...........it just keeps coming back

ful-rac 04-28-2015 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaDave (Post 226442)
I'm not real sure how much this regulation will effect most anglers. Last time I caught a blue fin was on an 8 day trip two years ago.

Personally, for one trip, two blue fins are plenty for me.

I do think that if we are to be regulated that restrictively that the commercial interests should be also.

Hey! Who has the popcorn!?!?

Probably right, this regulation isn't going to effect most anglers because how often does an angler catch 2 bluefin a trip let alone 10 in US waters...? The truth is not often. To me it seems....(I could totally be wrong about this, but I don't think so)...but they're trying to fix something that isn't a problem to begin with. Why?

In my opinion, the bluefin out there are going to get caught no matter what we do. If we regulate the sportfishery and reduce the limit to two, the fish we don't keep or catch will eventually be caught by the commercials. I'm all for protecting the fishery but let's do it in a way that will have some real impact. Here's a suggestion....how about the commercials be limited to a hook and line fishery like the guys on the east coast like we see on wicked tuna. Lets do away with all the seiners, how about that? Now that would make a huge impact.

Pass the popcorn please!

Lipripper92592 04-28-2015 12:08 PM

Seems reasonable to me

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 226448)
Probably right, this regulation isn't going to effect most anglers because how often does an angler catch 2 bluefin a trip let alone 10 in US waters...? The truth is not often. To me it seems....(I could totally be wrong about this, but I don't think so)...but they're trying to fix something that isn't a problem to begin with. Why?

In my opinion, the bluefin out there are going to get caught no matter what we do. If we regulate the sportfishery and reduce the limit to two, the fish we don't keep or catch will eventually be caught by the commercials. I'm all for protecting the fishery but let's do it in a way that will have some real impact. Here's a suggestion....how about the commercials be limited to a hook and line fishery like the guys on the east coast like we see on wicked tuna. Lets do away with all the seiners, how about that? Now that would make a huge impact.

Pass the popcorn please!

Extra butter on mine please;)

Opinion approved! Sounds like a logical reaction to a diminishing BFT biomass. Same standards for all involved with a "harvest". The purse seiners seem to have the largest impact on both the Atlantic and Pacific BFT fisheries. According to NOAA and a few other sources, smaller BFT seem to be the majority of the west coast catches. Maybe a size limit could improve the fishery, but I would want to review a study that could scientifically support such measures.

dos ballenas 04-28-2015 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris138 (Post 226408)

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Scientists can't catch fish... but they love to hear about other people catching though :drool5:

And that Greg Andrew guy sure can be a total jerk. He always seems to get in the way and make obnoxious comments ;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p_dS2h_fAcs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dos ballenas 04-28-2015 02:30 PM

I was at a seminar given by NOAA scientists last week..... this year and last year are quite warm.

But they said it's likely inter-annual variation, and not climate change.

That said, the NOAA scientists say the ocean off the US west coast is as warm as they have ever seen it for this time of year.

That said we only have data that goes back 50-60 years.... which is a SMALL time period.

So who knows.

That said, the links you put up about NOAA falsifying or changing their data are quite comical. Thanks for sharing that Liprippa. It made my day :)

blitzburgh 04-29-2015 07:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 226448)

Like ^^^^

FYI Tony, I literally plagiarized this word for word as part of my comment :D

Lipripper92592 04-30-2015 03:31 PM

Meteorologist

Quote:

Originally Posted by dos ballenas (Post 226476)
I was at a seminar given by NOAA scientists last week..... this year and last year are quite warm.

But they said it's likely inter-annual variation, and not climate change.

That said, the NOAA scientists say the ocean off the US west coast is as warm as they have ever seen it for this time of year.

That said we only have data that goes back 50-60 years.... which is a SMALL time period.

So who knows.

That said, the links you put up about NOAA falsifying or changing their data are quite comical. Thanks for sharing that Liprippa. It made my day :)

It's refreshing to hear inter-annual variation, I couldn't agree any more.
But does not the second statement contradict the first one?
If you could, please let me know why that link is comical. My co-worker who has an advanced degree in physics and is a Director of the Meteorologist Department and believes in man made climate change has no issues with those comparison graphs. He strongly believes that NOAA has not done a complete job on explaining the changes/documentation in the published temp data sets. But sides with there conclusions. Any input?

If that video is of you tagging YT....any data being generated from the study? If so, anything online or published?

alanw 04-30-2015 04:35 PM

These guys will get to the bottom of it. http://www.tempdatareview.org/

Silbaugh4liberty 04-30-2015 04:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by alanw (Post 226597)
These guys will get to the bottom of it. http://www.tempdatareview.org/

Lol, this says it all. ....Attachment 15352